ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Presettled status and citizenship

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Imranali10
BANNED

pre settle to settle status

Post by Imranali10 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:46 am

Hello Everyone, plz i need some help.
i m non eu with pre settle status and i m married to an eu (polish) national for 4 years. my wife going to apply for British nationality as she have settle status 12 months ago.
my questions are
if my wife get british nationality will it effect on my pre settle status because she will be British?

i can get any issue when i apply for settle status in may 2021? like spouse nationality change etc

do i must need to provide spouse id when i apply for settle status in may 2021?

thanks

kamoe
European Union

Re: pre settle to settle status

Post by kamoe » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:40 pm

Imranali10 wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:46 am
if my wife get british nationality will it effect on my pre settle status because she will be British?
It will affect the way you can apply for Settled Status. You could still apply, but I understand you will not be able to do this online, you would need to call the EU resolution centre and ask for a paper form for a Lounes application, which might or might not be an inconvenience to you. I also understand Lounes applications take longer to process.
i can get any issue when i apply for settle status in may 2021? like spouse nationality change etc
As above.
do i must need to provide spouse id when i apply for settle status in may 2021?
Not 100% sure as do not have first hand experience, but I think you can expect it. I would not recommend trying to apply for Settled Status using the online route and not the Lounes route if your spouse has acquired British nationality. They will find out eventually that your Spouse is British and will ask you to reapply on paper form, which will only make things slower.

In general terms, and purely from a personal point of view, unless your wife has a urgent and genuine need of becoming a British citizen ASAP (fear of being discriminated as EU national post Brexit is not a genuine need), I feel is best for her to wait until you have Settled Status, and only after that apply for British citizenship. That's what I am doing anyway. My partner could have applied for British citizenship over a year ago, but we are waiting the 6 months I still need to complete to apply for Settled Status, purely because I do not want to have to go through the Lounes route.

I do not feel that EU citizens who already have Settled Status have anything to fear from not having British nationality. Furthermore, I do not think having British nationality is necessary in any form if you already have Settled Status. I feel anyone claiming the contrary is a scaremonger.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Imranali10
BANNED

Post by Imranali10 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:06 am

thank you for reply. i asked my wife to wait until i get settle status and she agreed

sorry another question is
if i apply online for settle status in May 2021 do i need to submit my wife id? or i can give them just my wife settle status application number as i did for pre settle status?
and if we get separate can my wife cancel my pre settle status BRC?

(we are married in uk 4 years ago and we have 1 child together and i have pre settle status BRC) sorry for inconvenience acutely my relationship is very hard now a days and anything is possible as she threatening me to change nationality, going back to poland, get separate, call HM to cancel my Pre settle status, etc etc so therefore i m panic.

Imranali10
BANNED

Post by Imranali10 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:07 pm

Hello Zerubbabel, any advise please?

Imranali10
BANNED

Presettled status and citizenship

Post by Imranali10 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:37 am

Hello guys, my solicitor was telling me you must have to work continually for 5 years to get citizenship if you have pre settle? so my question is

what if somebody have settle status and have not worked 5 years?

and is there minimum earning limit can be or not?

because i m working just part time from last 3 years so i hope there will be no any problem when i apply for citizenship?
thanks in advance

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Presettled status and citizenship

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:54 am

Imranali10 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:37 am
Hello guys, my solicitor was telling me you must have to work continually for 5 years to get citizenship if you have pre settle? so my question is

what if somebody have settle status and have not worked 5 years?

and is there minimum earning limit can be or not?

because i m working just part time from last 3 years so i hope there will be no any problem when i apply for citizenship?
thanks in advance
Do not tag your questions onto other users topic!! Post split and merged with your own topic.

Citizenship laws are completely separate to settled status rules

Citizenship has no income requirement or employment requirement. It is based on 5 years legal stay.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Presettled status and citizenship

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:10 am

Hello,

If your wife applies for British citizenship, this is not going to compromise your own immigration status. If anything, it will make it easier for you to apply for British citizenship as you can apply the minute you get the Settled status (no need to wait 12 months after the Settled).
  • For people who have already an EEA PR, the application under the EU Settlement Scheme is straightforward (Not Lounes, just normal application. I know that for a fact as I have seen it happening without issues even if the EEA national is naturalised British).
  • For people with 5-year EEA residence card and wishing to apply under the EU Settlement Scheme with an EEA sponsor that naturalised British, it must go under Lounes (Call and ask for the paper form). Don't apply online as you will get a CoA but your application won't progress beyond that point.
  • For people with Pre-Settled status wishing to apply for Settled status with an EEA sponsor that naturalised British, you would again call the resolution center and ask for the Lounes paper application that they will pre-fill with your name and send it home.