ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Family Permit: is it valid after 31/12/2020?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

saddleback
Israel

EEA Family Permit: is it valid after 31/12/2020?

Post by saddleback » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:21 pm

Hello,

I did search but there were no straight answer: is EEA Family Permit valid for entry post 31/12/2020 if issued before 31/12 and its 6 months validity extends well into 2021? This is a genuine question as my newborn is Irish by birth but cannot apply for an Irish passport yet to enter UK and would have to enter on a non-EU passport.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: EEA Family Permit: is it valid after 31/12/2020?

Post by Zerubbabel » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:15 pm

Hello

I can be wrong, by my understanding is that they are no longer valid to travel, work or prove any right beyond Dec 31, 2020. After that date people with these card would still have about 6 months to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme before it closes to new entrants for good.

The last EEA card I have seen had a date on it indicating validity until 2023 but that doesn't mean anything now.

saddleback
Israel

Post by saddleback » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:35 am

Zerubbabel wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:15 pm
Hello

I can be wrong, by my understanding is that they are no longer valid to travel, work or prove any right beyond Dec 31, 2020. After that date people with these card would still have about 6 months to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme before it closes to new entrants for good.

The last EEA card I have seen had a date on it indicating validity until 2023 but that doesn't mean anything now.
Thank you very much for your input. I am less concerned for the cards - and the respective rights, such as employment - and more so for the right of my child to enter Britain after 31/12/2020 with a FP affixed in a non-EU passport and issued before 31/12/2020.

The critical point for us is the right of entry - post entry WE will await child's Irish citizenship derived from the Irish parent due to the delay in issuing citizenship confirmation due to COVID. Subsequent rights will be derived from that.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:59 am

My view is that these cards are not valid for travel after 31/12/2020.

For non-visa nationals, it doesn't matter too much. But for a visa national (a passport holder who needs a visa to enter the UK), that's a big issue. Airlines may deny boarding to visa nationals holding only EEA cards from 1/1/2021.

I don't know how people who went through the EU Settlement Scheme but didn't get a specific card demonstrating their status would be able to travel in and out the UK. I know many people with "Settled" status but they didn't receive any card. Just an email with an attached letter.