ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR-effect of a letter from a law firm in a different country

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jvjroop
Mood:
United Kingdom

ILR-effect of a letter from a law firm in a different country

Post by jvjroop » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:59 pm

Hi
i would appreaciate any views on this.
i came to UK on T2G on 29th sept 2015. Extension in 2018,2019 and 2020. i will qualify for ILR in this september.
When i was in an european country before coming to UK, just before i was leaving to UK, i recieved a letter from a law firm, saying that i downloaded something illegally and I have to pay. i approached a lawyer just to avoid any complications of it. I paid him and asked to act on my behalf. He replied to them with a modified deficit letter.
And after 6 months, when i was in UK, as my lawyer couldnt deliver letters to me in that country, he contacted my via email saying he recieved response from the law firm agreeing for a lower price. When i called him and said i have moved out of the country permanently, then he suggested that he will let the law firm know that i have left the country and he couldnt get in touch with me , and I don't have to pay.
And since then, no communication happened. Its been 4 years since that (May 2016). Will this be an issue during my ILR, as they do some checks. does this fall under civil issues? would that have been recorded in UK?
Thanks

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: ILR-effect of a letter from a law firm in a different country

Post by seagul » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:42 pm

I suspect it was a purposely orchestrated scam.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:58 pm

raj_262920 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:59 pm
Hi
i came to UK on T2G on 29th sept 2015. Extension in 2018,2019 and 2020. i will qualify for ILR in this september.
When i was in an european country before coming to UK, just before i was leaving to UK, i recieved a letter from a law firm, saying that i downloaded something illegally and I have to pay. i approached a lawyer just to avoid any complications of it. I paid him and asked to act on my behalf. He replied to them with a modified deficit letter.
And after 6 months, when i was in UK, as my lawyer couldnt deliver letters to me in that country, he contacted my via email saying he recieved response from the law firm agreeing for a lower price. When i called him and said i have moved out of the country permanently, then he suggested that he will let the law firm know that i have left the country and he couldnt get in touch with me , and I don't have to pay.
And since then, no communication happened. Its been 4 years since that (May 2016). Will this be an issue during my ILR, as they do some checks. does this fall under civil issues? would that have been recorded in UK?
Thanks
This has no relevance to ILR
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

jvjroop
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by jvjroop » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:15 am

Zimba wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:58 pm
raj_262920 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:59 pm
Hi
Thanks
This has no relevance to ILR
Thank you, i am also imagining that as i have succesfully extended my Tier 2 (very recently Aug 2020) i should not have any problems regarding above for ILR ! am i right ?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:23 pm

raj_262920 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:15 am

Thank you, i am also imagining that as i have succesfully extended my Tier 2 (very recently Aug 2020) i should not have any problems regarding above for ILR ! am i right ?
Unless someone has committed hacking/piracy, anything freely available over the internet is not a crime. Just ignore it.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.