ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I need your advice

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hibernate
Newly Registered

I need your advice

Post by hibernate » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:14 pm

Hi all,

I intend to move to London next October to look for a quant developer (VBA, core Java) position in Investment bank, hedge fund…. I have got a Master’s degree in Quantitative Finance from a French university, and I have a very good core Java level( Hibernate, concurrency…), plus a high VBA level.

As at the moment the financial environment is not very good(job market), but most of the people think that 2009 will be better than 2008, and as I’m not European, I need a visa to enter UK. So I think coming to London to prepare the SCJP (Sun Certified Java Programmer) and in parallel looking for either a temp or perm position, I have contacted ( by emails and phone calls) two IT schools proposing a one year full time course for the preparation of the SCJP certif + other course (ASP.net …), and as I mention that I have a Master’s Degree they do not reply (by emails) to my questions (I ask them just a prospectus and the timetable).

I have a another idea which is: to prepare a CFA (Charted Financial Analyst) level 1, but the issue is that the course length proposed by schools to prepare this qualif is only 3 months (full time) and I don’t know if I’ll obtain a one year student visa.

I would like to know if it’s a good idea to come to London using this means (i.e UK student visa, SCJP certif. or CFA) or is there any other way or other schools which propose full time professional qualifications.

Please any help/advice/idea are welcome

Thanks in advance for your reply and sorry for this long msg.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:22 pm

Why not just go for a job and forget all this certification stuff? I've done ok without an IT qually to my name and indeed, myself and my peers look down with some disdain at those with a gazillion IT certs, I do feel real-world experience is worth for more than paper certificates. MCSE = Minefield Consultant and Solitaire Expert......

And, all this certification nonsense was and is driven by the likes of Sun, M$, Oracle et al to line their already fat pockets.

All IMHO..
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

rajesh9pl
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by rajesh9pl » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:34 pm

Wanderer wrote:Why not just go for a job and forget all this certification stuff? I've done ok without an IT qually to my name and indeed, myself and my peers look down with some disdain at those with a gazillion IT certs, I do feel real-world experience is worth for more than paper certificates. MCSE = Minefield Consultant and Solitaire Expert......

And, all this certification nonsense was and is driven by the likes of Sun, M$, Oracle et al to line their already fat pockets.

All IMHO..
Good stuff!

hibernate
Newly Registered

Post by hibernate » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:39 pm

Wanderer & rajesh9pl, thanks very much for your reply !

also i agree with you! frankly with my IT/Finance/Maths level I dont need any certif!

but as I have mentioned in my first msg! I am not European (I need a visa to be in the UK) so that why I am thinking using this option (student visa= enough time to look for a job).

Pls if u have any other comment, idea ... dont hesitate, u are welcome

Thanks again

CoolestGuyC
Member of Standing

Post by CoolestGuyC » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:42 pm

The idea of coming to uk for work via some lowly certification study route is not a good one. Not only will you face difficulties in convincing Visa Officer, but unless the course is of one year, i dont think you would be eligible for Post Study Work visa.

Three questions:

1. Are you eligible for Tier 1? (You already have 55 Points(=35 pts for masters degree + 20 points for age). You only need 20 more points from your earnings.
So apply for Tier 1 Visa and then search for a job after you reach here.

2. If you are a fresher and have no work experience, then search for a "Post Study Work" equivalent of Visa after your studies in France, which allows you to work there. Search even for a lower paying job which gives you enough points for Tier 1 Visa and then come to UK

3. By the way, how is market in France for Quants?

Another thing: You might already know the site, but here is a great resource: http://www.math-phi.com/

Lastly, have you tried to give interviews with employers who would sponsor work permit for you?

Hope the above things helps

hibernate wrote:Wanderer & rajesh9pl, thanks very much for your reply !

also i agree with you! frankly with my IT/Finance/Maths level I dont need any certif!

but as I have mentioned in my first msg! I am not European (I need a visa to be in the UK) so that why I am thinking using this option (student visa= enough time to look for a job).

Thanks again

hibernate
Newly Registered

Post by hibernate » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:59 pm

CoolestGuyC thank you very much for your very helpful msg,

Ok let me answer your questions. Bust just before, I’m sorry I didn’t mention it in my previous msg, I am not in France.

Yes the training I intend to do is for international student (one year full time courses: SCJP preparation + ASP.net + XHTML/CSS/XML)

For question 1 and 2:
Yes I am eligible for the Tier1; I have 45 points for my earnings. but you know I have already thought to this option which is the only and the best solution, but if only they do not ask you to send them the original copies(Diploma …), which is highly risky for me to send/retrieve by post such important documents.

I left France(Paris) since I have finished my Internship (for Family reasons). Just for your info I have done my intern at a top financial firm, and (with modesty) where I have corrected their mathematical model (during my first week with them) used to price credit derivatives and manage credit risk which save them loosing lot of money. Also my ex: managers have taken very bad the fact that I left them just after my internship.

Regarding question 3/ as I'm not there (at Paris) I could not give u my point of view on the market for Quants

Yes I know this web site (mathphi).

Yes when I could not move away from the country I use to receive phone call from London (for positions at London) and also a lot of emails (at least 20 emails by day) but since I am free to move away from this country, the subrime and commodities crisis appeared and of course no phone calls and emails since

So that‘s why I think to move to London and try to find a perm or beginning by a temp position as VBA quant developer where you cannot obtain them from abroad.

Thanks again

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:18 pm

Rather than certification, applying under a graduate recruitment program would probably be your best bet, and most of the banks (especially investment banks ) run their graduate recruitments within selected universities during spring. Some directly solicit applications from fresh graduates via their websites, and you have to be on bang time as they do not publicise it much.

Top tier banks (both IBs and retail) do employ foreign graduates (equal op scheme) and apply for work permits. Hope this helps.

CoolestGuyC
Member of Standing

Post by CoolestGuyC » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:31 pm

For question 1 and 2:
Yes I am eligible for the Tier1; I have 45 points for my earnings. but you know I have already thought to this option which is the only and the best solution, but if only they do not ask you to send them the original copies(Diploma …), which is highly risky for me to send/retrieve by post such important documents.
Cmon ! Whole world would send their documents to local British High Commission if they were eligible for Tier 1 visa (if they were interested)...

There is no risk in sending your original documents to Home Office.

Also, if you are eligible for Tier 1, why restrict yourself to a student Visa, which has Work restrictions?!

1. Student Visa requires you to show 9600 GBP + first year fees as available finance, whereas Tier 1 requires only 2800 GBP.
2. If you get Tier 1 Visa, you can search for any kind of temp job also, which would generally be not possible as a student.
3. Employers would be more happy to take a candidate who already has Tier 1, rather than candidate who is a student and would require a Work Permit.

hibernate
Newly Registered

Post by hibernate » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:39 pm

Hi

Thanks very much CoolestGuyC & vin 123 for your help,

Let me just add some info:

Vin123:
I am not a fresh graduate, I got my Master's degree 5 yrs ago, so I don't think I can still apply under graduate recruitment program.

CoolestGuyC:
No I am not afraid to send the original doc to the Home Office, but I'm afraid sending them by the local post! too much risky.

Also I have noticed that I have not the 10 points for English language, I have never passed an English language test such as IELTS(with at least a score of 6.5), so I think that rather prepare an IT certif( idea that I have given up :I fellow your advice CoolestGuyC it's a risky idea: sure I'll get a visa refusal), why not prepare(for one month or up to 3) the IELTS test at London and just after apply for the tier1(General) while I'll be there. good or bad idea? Pls if u have any comment, idea ... dont hesitate, u are welcome, Sorry for the disturb!

Thanks again

CoolestGuyC
Member of Standing

Post by CoolestGuyC » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:02 am

I'm afraid sending them by the local post! too much risky.
Ok apply for a student Visa. But how do you plan to send your (original) documents then (which are required for student visa)?

hibernate
Newly Registered

Post by hibernate » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:27 pm

Hi CoolestGuyC

each time I went to London I have applied for a visa by sending (at the British Embassy) the photocopy of my :passport and diploma (but never the Original copy), plus the original copy of for example: bank statement, birth certificate, employer... and in this case no issue!