ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

father denying his sons right to uk citizenship..advice plz

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Twin
Member of Standing

Post by Twin » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:53 pm

Yes, it is most unlikely that the father would obtain a residence order, but the mother most certainly can.

Once she has a residence order, it would be hard for the UK to remove her (albeit not impossible as if there is no other party holding a residence or contact order for the child, a family law judge might not see it unreasonable to agree to removal).

Yes, the UK would not normally allow one to stay for economic reasons eg Life in Trinidad is hard blah blah blah but as I said earlier, a British child can exercise his/her rights to both parents as set out in the children's convention. It is a long and tedious route and would only favour those with a lot of money to spare on court cases.

Immigration would not ultimately override family law if a family law judge refuses to agree removal.

I have a case law on this and would revert in due course.
jei2 wrote:nadiatt,

Do you actually have any evidence that your son's father is British or legally settled in the UK? If not your case may be a non-starter.

Otherwise..I note that you say it was your right to have your son born in the UK.. you also refer to yourself as a resident of the UK. I assume that this is just you expressing your desire. The reality is quite different so try not to get confused as it will only cause you more heartache.

If his father has legal status and you are serious about sorting your son's paternity out it will be for his sake later in life not yours. It doesn't get you leave to remain in the UK simply because your life in Trinidad is hard.

Finding a UK family lawyer - one that likes a challenge - should be your first goal. My concern is that if you try to come back - even with a good immigration record -you might suffer from the fallout of the visa waiver test. Unfortunately for you, you fell in love with a..a...

Anyway, focus less on the emotional aspects and approach as many family lawyers as you can. Immigration legislation does ultimately override family law and I can't see the father going for a residence order so it's not going to be easy. Although I wouldn't say impossible.

nadiatt
Newly Registered

Post by nadiatt » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:25 pm

i do not need a visa to go back we r the only country in the world that can travel freely to the uk but for not more than 6 months and the father was born in the uk and holds a british passport...iv seen it..hes actually trying to hide the fact that he is the father...i want to get a court order to get a paternity test done...how will i go about that?maybe then he will feel like a jack for lying to everyone and apply for his son...btw wanderer trinidad is in the caribbean and part of the commonwealth...im not russian
Last edited by nadiatt on Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nadiatt
Newly Registered

Post by nadiatt » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:35 pm

jei 2...

i was residing in the uk for 2 years on my visa..well maybe wrong choice or words to say i was a resident...and yes i have seen his passport,..he is british...he was born here..i dont want to live in the uk...maybe later down the road but my son was denied this right by his father who backed me against a wall to leave..no place to live no money and he told me even if i stayed in the uk he would still have to apply for him...n if i stayed he wouldnt..i have proof from emails and texts admitting what he did to me and that he did it so my son wouldnt be a citizen..is that evidence enough?he didnt want daddy n mummy to find out the truth that we were having a baby...so i had no choice cuz i knew if he is a citizen he definitey wud have the chance to a better life than living in this country filled with crime and with this incompetent gov't life is only getting tougher..i have gotten him to start sending money for me..so i can come there n do what i need to do..i only hope it doesnt cost me alot....any ideas what it may add up to so il have an idea...

jei2
Member of Standing

Post by jei2 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:20 pm

If that's the case then coming in as a visitor might be your best bet and getting the ball rolling from there as has been suggested by Twin.

Agreed that you can apply for a residence order but you will need proof of paternity first.

Incidentally does your son have any health problems as a result of the difficulties you suffered during pregnancy and childbirth?
Oh, the drama...!

freshprince

Post by freshprince » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:32 pm

Nadiatt

Since you are from a visa waiver country then by all means,do come back to the UK and try to get a paternity test done,On my own part,I shall or rather with the support of family and freinds try to get you as much support as we can offer in terms of logistics,I realize that adults often make errors of judgement but inasmuch as possible,children should not be allowed to suffer for those lapses in judgement,as you have been warned,it wont be all plain sailing but if the end result gets your son a surer footing to begin life with,it will be well worth the hassle.

I hope others will be moved to assist you in like manner,the legal debates have at their core the desire to give you the best advice possible under the circumstances,so return to the UK,prepare your brief,its your word against his but DNA is irrefutable evidence,petition for it.Thats simply all there is to it,a good lawyer might be able to get him to admit paternity without the need for such a test anyway,too much circumstantial evidence suggests a relationship,ah we enter into the realm of possibilities.So basically how soon can you return to the UK?and the obvious question is can you afford it?a clear picture of your capabilities at this point would help the decision making process for you and some of us.

nadiatt
Newly Registered

Post by nadiatt » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:33 pm

well thanks to the doctors he is alright now...but when he was born he had a bleeding in his head that i really dont know what the status of is right is now...he couldnt breathe on his own...he needed blood...even up to 3 days b4 i left i was in the uk hospital with bad abdominal pains and the babys dad paid a doct friend of his to write a letter that i was fit to travel...even tho i told tht doc tht i was in pain...thing is when i came down here the docs told me that i had an incompetent cervix and i could have lost the baby earlier when i was bleeding then in the uk and that they should have stitched up my womb there as well which the uk docs didnt detect...they told me my bleeding was a result of an infection but my doc here in trini said u cannot bleed with an infection...he is a well n happy baby now cuz they really took care of him but they said he may b a slow learner cuz of the bleeding in his brain...

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:59 pm

nadiatt wrote:i do not need a visa to go back we r the only country in the world that can travel freely to the uk but for not more than 6 months and the father was born in the uk and holds a british passport...hes actually trying to hide the fact that he is the father...i want to get a court order to get a paternity test done...how will i go about that?maybe then he will fell like a jack for lying to everyone and apply for his son...btw wanderer trinidad is in the caribbean and part of the commonwealth...im not russian
I know where Trinidad is thanks, if you look I think you read my signature as part of my message.

Was an idea of mine to encourage everyone to put their nationality and status in their sigs to avoid endless 'where are you from' type questions. Not been very well taken up!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

jei2
Member of Standing

Post by jei2 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:46 pm

Well Wanderer, don't know if it'll help but here goes.

Me:Bajan

Maybe we could start a trend... :wink:
Oh, the drama...!

iereboy
Mood:
Trinidad & Tobago

Post by iereboy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:33 pm

Nadia,

We, Trindadians are not the only country in the world to have a fee waiver sytem in place to gain entry in the UK.

Also, bear in mind there are plans for Trinidadians to obtain visas before they enter the UK. This is due to the fact that a small amount of Trindadians were coming over and not leaving in time. It was all over the Trinidad Express.

I was also under the impression that we Trinidadians can only apply for one working holiday visa ever...

jei2
Member of Standing

Post by jei2 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:04 pm

iereboy wrote:Nadia,

We, Trindadians are not the only country in the world to have a fee waiver sytem in place to gain entry in the UK.

Also, bear in mind there are plans for Trinidadians to obtain visas before they enter the UK. This is due to the fact that a small amount of Trindadians were coming over and not leaving in time. It was all over the Trinidad Express.

I was also under the impression that we Trinidadians can only apply for one working holiday visa ever...

The WHM is only a one off as was pointed out earlier. You can only get it once. The UK visa waiver test that you refer to (I mentioned this above) may produce prejudicial treatment towards Trinidadians and other nationals that fall under this new initiative.

Hopefully nadiatt's previous record might make things easier for any future visa application.
Oh, the drama...!