ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice needed please.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Phatz
Newly Registered

Advice needed please.

Post by Phatz » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Good evening all,

Found this forum a while ago and it seems like this is the place that can help me.

Perhaps this story is all too familiar on here. I am a 23 year male born and living in the UK. I have a girlfriend from Russia, Moscow who is 25 and we have been together for nearly 3 years.

Being apart is putting a huge strain on our relationship and we both really want and dream about living together. We've heard so much negativity surrounding Russians coming to the UK, but regardless its a route we want to explore and find the best possible solution.

I just thought I'd post and see what people with more knowledge and experience in this area thought. Does our only hope lie with marriage/fiance visas? Or would it be possible for her to come here and live with me on say an unmarried partners visa?

She works as a sales manager and has a degree in communication (with is legit) however, her salary can't be proved as she is paid "under the table" so to speak. What are the possibilities regarding her working here?

Any help or advice from anyone will be much appreciated. We are desperate for an outlet or route to persue.

Many thanks

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:06 pm

would it be possible for her to come here and live with me on say an unmarried partners visa?
You say "we have been together for nearly 3 years", but what does that actually mean? The blunt question is .... have the two of you lived together for at least two years, in a relationship akin to marriage? If the answer to that is no, then sorry, it is not possible to get a UPV for her.

Also :-
she is paid "under the table" so to speak
-: do you mean that she is paid in cash? But does she get any payslips showing how much she is earning?
John

Phatz
Newly Registered

Post by Phatz » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:24 pm

Hi John,

Should have made myself clearer on a few fronts. :oops: Unfortunately, we haven't lived together for such a long period, so I suppose that rules out UPV as you said. We see each other through tourist visas to our respective countries and also holidays abroad when we can.

She gets pay slips but the company doesn't declare it apparently, hence to avoid taxes. I looked into the possibility of the "Highly Skilled Migrant Program" and she would qualify points wise but for being unable to prove her salary.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:31 am

Phatz wrote:Hi John,

Should have made myself clearer on a few fronts. :oops: Unfortunately, we haven't lived together for such a long period, so I suppose that rules out UPV as you said. We see each other through tourist visas to our respective countries and also holidays abroad when we can.

She gets pay slips but the company doesn't declare it apparently, hence to avoid taxes. I looked into the possibility of the "Highly Skilled Migrant Program" and she would qualify points wise but for being unable to prove her salary.
Tis common in the 'Rodina' to pay a meagre salary and top it up with 'bonuses' which the taxman never sees. Well - he does, but he's taken his cut so the Gov never sees it....

You can just as easily get 'documents' proving a full salary, bear in mind whilst perfectly normal in the eyes of a Russian, totally illegal here. I will say that most of my gf's friends got here with well, let's say less then 100% certainly honest docs. Who's to say they aren't real? The guy who wrote it will swear on it. Anyway don;t take that as me advocating it, if found out is visa-bye-bye time for 10 years.....

Your most realistic option is a a student visa but bear in mind the costs. This is what we've done and we've lived together without marriage getting in the way for nearly four years now. I reckon we've spent about 25k in student fees alone - nearly half an Aston Martin! But u need serious wonga to woo a foreign bird and it never stops I can tell you, trips home, driving lessons, touring Europe.....

How's your Russian? I met mine when studying Russian, I tell you the difference when you speak to folks in their own language, it's like it's a different person especiaaly with Russian language, sounds quite brusk to English ears, 'Cho govorish?' she barks down the phone to her mum 'slish, mama' - sounds very rude, different person!

Sorry I'm going off on one, I've had two Lemsips this morning and they always make me giddy....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:36 am

I looked into the possibility of the "Highly Skilled Migrant Program" and she would qualify points wise but for being unable to prove her salary.
Technically HSMP is no more ..... it has been abolished ... for new applicants. It has been replaced by Tier 1 (General) .... and the detailed rules for that are not the same as for HSMP. So you might want to look at this matter again, to see if she gets enough points.
She gets pay slips but the company doesn't declare it apparently, hence to avoid taxes.
There is nothing illegal in her being paid in cash, and she gets payslips. The UK will not delve into whether there is any breach by the Russian company of Russian tax law ... how could it?

Or alternatively plan for a marriage! If that would be in Russia, she would then apply for a spouse visa, or if it is going to be in the UK then a fiancée visa is the way to go. Or even plan to get married in a third country. I happen to know that there is a special arrangement between Thailand and Russia. Thais do not need visas to go to Russia for a short-term visit, and Russia is, like the UK, on the list of countries the nationals of which can get 30 day permission to stay in Thailand without getting a visa in advance!

So maybe you would take separate flights to Thailand, meet up there, get married there, have a honeymoon there, after which she would return to Russia to apply for her spouse visa!
John

Phatz
Newly Registered

Post by Phatz » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:23 pm

John, I have thought a lot about a marriage. In many ways it seems as though it gives us the best chance of being together. However, we both feel it would be more sensible to live together for a longer period of time first. The idea of doing it in Thailand sounds good though...

I'll have to research further into Tier 1 and see if she qualifies with this new points system. That is also a good point about tax laws in Russia, With the way things are going between Russia and England especially now.

Wanderer, I have also heard about students visas. The costs do sound pretty hefty judging by what you say... I manage to spend plenty of dough on her as it is.

I've been taking private tuition to learn Russian, but it is a bloody hard lingo to pick up. I was in Moscow last month and being able to read things and understand a bit made a huge difference. But I know what you mean about them sounding like a different person.

Phatz
Newly Registered

Post by Phatz » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:22 pm

Just a quick update on this. With regards to Tier 1 she qualifies with the points calculator. The big problem is of course the fact that a small fraction of her salary is declared. The 90% that she gets in cash doesn't even come with a payslip as I first thought.

I guess my question is is there no other way to prove her entire salary when applying for a Tier 1 visa? Obviously there are bank statements, but is there any other option that would be recognised by the points awarding scheme? Mega wishful thinking I suppose. Its looking like marriage is the only way now I suppose. :roll: