ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How do I apply for a child born before parent has ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jnizz12
Mood:
South Africa

How do I apply for a child born before parent has ILR

Post by jnizz12 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:55 pm

hi,

Child born 3 months before parents received ILR. I do not qualify for citizenship yet. I want to apply for my child's citizenship asap because he does not have any other passport or travel documents.

The .gov website is a little confusing.... On this forum they say i should use the MN1 form but the .gov website says I can apply online.

Can I apply online for the child citizenship only?

thank you

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: How do I apply for a child born before parent has ILR

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:56 pm

jnizz12 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:55 pm
hi,

Child born 3 months before parents received ILR. I do not qualify for citizenship yet. I want to apply for my child's citizenship asap because he does not have any other passport or travel documents.

The .gov website is a little confusing.... On this forum they say i should use the MN1 form but the .gov website says I can apply online.

thank you
Where was the child born?

Assuming the child was born in UK.

If the child was born in UK BEFORE any of the parent(s) was settled, you can register the child for British Citizenship via MN1 form AFTER at least one of the parent(s) gets settled status.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-form-mn1
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:02 pm

“If you do not live in the Channel Islands, Isle of Man or a British Overseas Territory, you can apply online.”
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

jnizz12
Mood:
South Africa

Post by jnizz12 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:54 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:56 pm
jnizz12 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:55 pm
hi,

thank you
Where was the child born?

Assuming the child was born in UK.

If the child was born in UK BEFORE any of the parent(s) was settled, you can register the child for British Citizenship via MN1 form AFTER at least one of the parent(s) gets settled status.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-form-mn1
Yes born in the UK, Glasgow.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:03 pm

You can apply to register the child for BC given one of the parent(s) has ILR and child was born in UK. Once the MN1 application is approved, you can apply British Passport for the child.

jnizz12
Mood:
South Africa

Post by jnizz12 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:12 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:02 pm
“If you do not live in the Channel Islands, Isle of Man or a British Overseas Territory, you can apply online.”
Glasgow, So i can apply online?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:19 pm

jnizz12 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:12 pm
CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:02 pm
Glasgow, So i can apply online?
Yes.

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/product/mn1

jnizz12
Mood:
South Africa

Post by jnizz12 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:26 pm

Thank you. Also the first I register for citizenship then I apply for a passport?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:37 pm

jnizz12 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:26 pm
Once the MN1 application is approved, you can apply British Passport for the child after.

jnizz12
Mood:
South Africa

Post by jnizz12 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:19 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:37 pm
jnizz12 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:26 pm
Once the MN1 application is approved, you can apply British Passport for the child after.
Great, thanks again

jnizz12
Mood:
South Africa

Post by jnizz12 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:25 pm

Also I noticed many users on the "MN1 (registration) application processing timelines (only)" thread applying via:
Method of application: Online - Sopra Steria

is that the same as
https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/product/mn1

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:27 pm

Yes

jnizz12
Mood:
South Africa

Post by jnizz12 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:17 pm

hi,

Its abit strange answering some of these questions for a 3 month old, like where have you lived in the last 5 years.

Anyway I have 2 questions:
1. They ask for 2 referees - Can this be friends of the family?
2. They only ask for "Your" BRP i.e. The childs BRP. But the child does not have a BRP. Should I put in my(the dads) BRP details in here. they dont ask for the parents BRP details anywhere else in the form.

thank you

jnizz12
Mood:
South Africa

Post by jnizz12 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:36 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:27 pm
Yes
hi,

Its abit strange answering some of these questions for a 3 month old, like where have you lived in the last 5 years.

1. They ask for 2 referees - Can this be friends of the family?
2. They only ask for "Your" BRP i.e. The childs BRP. But the child does not have a BRP. Should I put in my(the dads) BRP details in here. they dont ask for the parents BRP details anywhere else in the form.

thank you

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:47 am

jnizz12 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:36 pm
CULLINAN wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:27 pm
Yes
hi,

1. They ask for 2 referees - Can this be friends of the family? 1 can be, the other someone in professional capacity e.g. Health visitor, GP
2. They only ask for "Your" BRP i.e. The childs BRP. But the child does not have a BRP. Should I put in my(the dads) BRP details in here. they dont ask for the parents BRP details anywhere else in the form. Since none is available then maybe leave it so, you will be presenting child's birth cert.

thank you
Above opinion till persons in same situation before or MODs present more standing info.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:54 am

1) If you can not find a referee who has engaged with the child in a professional capacity, you will have to write a cover letter and explain why not. In that case just provide a referee otherwise. HO is not strict with referees for young children.
2) You will have to show proof of PARENT ILR BRP (i.e. settled status) as requested by the checklist.
Child having BRP has nothing to do with his/her entitlement to register as BC. If child does not have a BRP, just say NO.

jnizz12
Mood:
South Africa

Post by jnizz12 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:15 am

hi,

My referee is hesitant to give me their passport number + other sensitive details. How strict are they with referee info?

jnizz12
Mood:
South Africa

Post by jnizz12 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:13 am

The referees document, just to confirm I need to stick in a picture of the applicant, i.e. the child. Not the referee...

Passport photo
On the back of the applicant’s photograph, please write their full name and date of birth. The photograph should then be glued into the space aside.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:15 am

The referees document, just to confirm I need to stick in a picture of the applicant, i.e. the child. Not the referee...
Yes.
Passport photo
On the back of the applicant’s photograph, please write their full name and date of birth. The photograph should then be glued into the space aside.
Correct.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.