ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Clarification about referees

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Clarification about referees

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:34 pm

Re. Expired Passport
This is not an issue, you can apply for a British passport once you have the naturalisation certificate (after the ceremony). You don't need a current passport from your home country. You'll still have to submit your expired passport as that's a requirement of HMPO (it will be returned of course).
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

nbhatt

Post by nbhatt » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:39 pm

Many Thanks for clarifying:)

nbhatt

Re: ELECTORAL REGISTRATION FORM

Post by nbhatt » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:44 pm

Hi Guys,
I'm not sure if this is the correct platform for this query but there is a link hence posting it, I received this ELECTORAL REGISTRATION FORM from my council asking me respond update my details if I can vote. There are 2 option for people who can vote as below , currently I'm on ILR so can I register to vote or am I not elible to vote?

You can register to vote in the UK if you are:
- resident (usually live in the UK), and
- aged 16 or over (although they won't be able to vote until they are 18)
You must also be either:
- a British, Irish or European Union citizen or
- a Commonwealth citizen who has leave to remain in the UK or who does not require leave to remain in the UK.

Are you eligible to vote?
I am eligible to vote
I am not eligible to vote

Please guide, I'm not a British Citizen yet.
Thanks

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: ELECTORAL REGISTRATION FORM

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:00 pm

nbhatt wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:44 pm
Hi Guys,
I'm not sure if this is the correct platform for this query but there is a link hence posting it, I received this ELECTORAL REGISTRATION FORM from my council asking me respond update my details if I can vote. There are 2 option for people who can vote as below , currently I'm on ILR so can I register to vote or am I not elible to vote?

You can register to vote in the UK if you are:
- resident (usually live in the UK), and
- aged 16 or over (although they won't be able to vote until they are 18)
You must also be either:
- a British, Irish or European Union citizen or
- a Commonwealth citizen who has leave to remain in the UK or who does not require leave to remain in the UK.

Are you eligible to vote?
I am eligible to vote
I am not eligible to vote

Please guide, I'm not a British Citizen yet.
Thanks
You can register to vote if you are from the commonwealth area.

ILR or BC is irrelevant.

https://www.gov.uk/elections-in-the-uk
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

nbhatt

Post by nbhatt » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:30 pm

Many Thanks:)

gandaxia
Newly Registered
Philippines

Re: current passport has expired- meed to know the process

Post by gandaxia » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:48 pm

Hi!

Im in the same position as you are, just wondering how your application went? I will only have about 2-3 weeks left before my current pssport expires when i apply for naturalisation in September

Thanks!

nbhatt wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:59 pm
Hi Team,

I did mention this in one of my earlier post regarding my current passport expiry. My current passport was valid until 16th July 2020 and I'd made an application for British Citizenship on 16th June 2020 (after 12 months of getting ILR).
Lets suppose if my application is successful what should I do next - after I get my British Citizenship Certificate , do I need to apply for British Passport or will they object cause my current passport has already expired? or Should I renew my current passport first?

I've also received an email regarding reuse of my Fingerprints and IDV where it states contact UKVI if you don't have travel document or passport, do I need to contact UKVI & inform them separately bit confused.

Please clarify.
Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: current passport has expired- meed to know the process

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:10 pm

gandaxia wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:48 pm
Hi!

Im in the same position as you are, just wondering how your application went? I will only have about 2-3 weeks left before my current pssport expires when i apply for naturalisation in September

Thanks!
As I advised the OP this is not an issue.

"Re. Expired Passport
This is not an issue, you can apply for a British passport once you have the naturalisation certificate (after the ceremony). You don't need a current passport from your home country. You'll still have to submit your expired passport as that's a requirement of HMPO (it will be returned of course)."
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

nbhatt

Re: Query re - venue for British Citizenship Ceremony

Post by nbhatt » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:25 pm

Hi Team,

While submitting my application I stated venue of some other council but I do not live there , below info I found from website does this mean we can choose any council and not necessary where we live, cause I have stated a different council and not where I live, will this cause an issue? please clarify.

You must state name of council as the venue for your ceremony when submitting your citizenship application if you wish to have your ceremony with that council . You do not need to live in that council to have your ceremony with us.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Query re - venue for British Citizenship Ceremony

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:28 pm

nbhatt wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:25 pm
Hi Team,

While submitting my application I stated venue of some other council but I do not live there , below info I found from website does this mean we can choose any council and not necessary where we live, cause I have stated a different council and not where I live, will this cause an issue? please clarify.

You must state name of council as the venue for your ceremony when submitting your citizenship application if you wish to have your ceremony with that council . You do not need to live in that council to have your ceremony with us.

Thanks
Yes, you can select any council for the ceremony. Many have selected one near their work for example.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

nbhatt

Post by nbhatt » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:52 pm

Thank you:) and just last qtn can we change the venue again if the council stated doesnt offer virtual ceremony or do we need to stick to the one stated on application?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:53 pm

nbhatt wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:52 pm
Thank you:) and just last qtn can we change the venue again if the council stated doesnt offer virtual ceremony or do we need to stick to the one stated on application?
You will need to stick with what you have requested in the form.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

nbhatt

Post by nbhatt » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:53 pm

:oops: