ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

WP AND TIER 1 STRANGE SCENARIO - Which visa can be used??

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

arun1509

WP AND TIER 1 STRANGE SCENARIO - Which visa can be used??

Post by arun1509 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:30 pm

All Experts,

I got my fresh Tier 1 visa stamped from India valid from Nov 08. But the BHC has not cancelled my Work Permit visa sponsored by my Indian employer. So i have both Tier 1 and WP visa.

I have a strange situation now. My employer wants me to travel to Uk next month. My queries are:

1). Can i go to UK on my employers WP and visa which is still valid?
2). After Nov 08 when my Tier 1 visa will become valid, how can i change my status from WP to Tier 1, since my Tier 1 visa is not stamped at the port of entry? Do i need to come back to India in Nov and then travel back using Tier 1 visa?

A bit confused with this scenario.. Please help me out.

Thanks
Arun

CoolestGuyC
Member of Standing

Post by CoolestGuyC » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:37 pm

BHC has not cancelled my Work Permit
How do you know that? HAve you confirmed with BHC about this?

I think your WP is invalid now, and you can let your employer know that you have Tier 1. Hopefully he shouldn't have any problem.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:34 am

Haven't heard or seen a valid UK vignette stamped "cancelled" (or similar) when a new vignette is affixed!

Or is it done only for WP??

regards
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

arun1509

Post by arun1509 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:46 am

I have sent an email to BHC to verify if my WP and WP visa is valid. My employer wants me to travel in Sep, assuming that i have a valid WP and visa. But if my current WP n visa is invalid then i will be in soup, since i cant use my Tier 1 also (valid from Nov)..

Is there any other way around??? or any means by which we can chck the validity of WP and visa?

rajesh9pl
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by rajesh9pl » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:23 am

Why not plan a short vacation out of UK, say Switzerland (you are allowed to travel on UK long permit), at the end of October, and while returning in November ask Immigration to stamp Tier1 visa.

Otherwise, ask this question to Immigration officer while entering, she/he should be able to guide OR contact Home Office when you are in UK.

arun1509

Post by arun1509 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:10 am

Response from BHC:

Your Tier 1 visa will supersede the Work Permit visa as Tier 1 visa permits you to work in the UK.

So i assume my WP visa is cancelled and cant travel with this visa. I need to wait till Nov when my Tier 1 becomes valid... :cry:

1). Is there an option to advance the Tier 1 visa valid FROM DATE?? Does BHC do it in special cases??

2). Not sure what excuse i can give to my employer to refuse my travel in Sep.. :cry:

Manu345

Post by Manu345 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:24 am

Arun,

did you metion in your mail to BHC that you have a post dated Tier1 visa?
Your WP should be valid till Nov 1st.

arun1509

Post by arun1509 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:02 pm

Yes i did mention.. below is my mail draft:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thanks for the update.

I have got my Tier 1 (General) visa stamped from 02-Nov-2008 till 02-Nov-2011. I already had a UK Work Permit and visa sponsored by my employer which is valid from May 2007 to May 2009 using which i travelled to UK on 12-May-2007.

After my Tier 1 visa stamping, I have the following queries:

1). Is my Work Permit and WP visa still valid after my Tier 1 visa has got stamped?
2). Can i travel to UK using my employers Work Permit and WP visa before 02-Nov-2008?
3). How and when can i switch from WP visa to Tier 1 visa after arriving in UK?
4). How can i verify if my Work Permit and WP visa is valid?

I would be grateful to you, if you could respond to my queries.

I also called up VFC helpline and they said a country can have only one EC way. Said my WP should be cancelled and Tier1 must be valid from Nov... Need to stay out of UK for 2 months..

Manu345

Post by Manu345 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:19 pm

Well then no option other than waiting for Nov.

arun1509

Post by arun1509 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:41 am

Finally got a positive response from BHC:

I have confirmed with the Entry Clearance Officer that you may use the already existing work permit visa if the Tier one is yet to be valid. However, you should be travelling to the UK on the same work permit and satisfy the Immigration Officers at the port of entry with your explanation.
Please note that you are also required to activate your Tier One visa by passing through Immigration once it is valid.
Hope the above clarifies.
Yours Sincerely,

UK Border Agency
Visa Services
Visa Support Officer
Casework Section
British Deputy High Commission,Chennai
dr

So i can fly next month on my WP... :lol: