ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

One month after arriving in UK under HSMP approval

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Mobig

One month after arriving in UK under HSMP approval

Post by Mobig » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:19 pm

Hei friends, I have completed one month today of my arrival in UK under HSMP over 28. I could not get any job untill but three refusal letters from different companies regarding to graduate level jobs.
The two most important things i feel very important for those coming to UK under HSMP are:-
1) Strong communication skills
2) Experience in your field relevant to UK industry
If you have both of them, you may get a job in couple of months normaly. All it depends when that particular company wants to hire you. There are some specific jobs require urgent start and its your luck if you fall in those job categories.
I personaly felt that there are number of jobs vacant for a long time (some are from early 2003)still looking for right candidate. Normaly employer here in UK are humble but very strict in interviewing a candidate. If you have a lot of experience in certain sector but dont have strong communication skills, you will not be able to get this job :oops:
The main and another most important issue for employers is to hire a person having HSMP (authorise to work legally but unable to predict his/her future). It seems very hard to get a permanent job but easy to get a contract and temporary one. I personaly think that the initial EC must be atleast for two years rather one year.

viren68

Post by viren68 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:16 am

Hei Mobig,

Thankyou very much for the feedback. See to my knowledge the employers are very choosey.

Please tell are the employers aware of HSMP visa and their subsequent extension for another three years.
Initially the problem for any HSMP is not to look for a choosy job but make arrengements for the extension during that first year.

Please tell what type of contract or parttime jobs are available and how to contact them. I mean to say the phone numbers or the email adresses or the websites or relevant agencies. Please post this info on the forum or PM to me .

Thanks
Viren

Rog
Member of Standing

Post by Rog » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:32 pm

Initially it is very difficult to straightaway get a job commensurate to your seniority and experience due to the visa being only for 1 year and extension thereafter being "perceived" as uncertain by the prospective employers. Employers invest in training an employee and would not prefer to spend time and resources for developing an employee unless he can prove that he has a long term right to stay in UK. I did temporary and contract jobs for the 1st year and now after having got the 3 year extension and also some UK experience under my belt, I am getting better response from employers. It would be better for future HSMP migrants if they change the structure from 1 + 3 years to 2 + 3 years (as they are planning to increase the minimum period for ILR to 5 years). An initial visa of 2 years will greatly help a new migrant to secure a permanent job earlier which will be better in the long run even if the ILR is delayed by 1 year..