ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IHS Refund on Switching Visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

anrg
Newly Registered
India

IHS Refund on Switching Visa

Post by anrg » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:12 pm

Hi all, i recently switched form a dependent visa to a tier 1 visa. I had got the dependent visa about 6 months ago. Given we had paid IHS for 5 years then + also now can I be eligible for a refund of the IHS I have paid against the previous Visa for the amount of time left?

If yes, any idea how one can initiate this?

secret.simon

Re: IHS Refund on Switching Visa

Post by secret.simon » Fri May 01, 2020 9:18 am

You are unlikely to have paid IHS for five years for a dependent visa. A dependent visa is generally issued for 2.5 years and the IHS is generally for that length of time (generally about £1000).

More information on IHS refunds

To the best of my knowledge, you do not get a refund if you change visas in the UK while you still had a valid visa on which you had already paid IHS. So, in your case, I would not expect a refund. But wait for others to advise further.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri May 01, 2020 9:26 am

secret.simon wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:18 am
You are unlikely to have paid IHS for five years for a dependent visa. A dependent visa is generally issued for 2.5 years and the IHS is generally for that length of time (generally about £1000).

To the best of my knowledge, you do not get a refund if you change visas in the UK while you still had a valid visa on which you had already paid IHS. So, in your case, I would not expect a refund. But wait for others to advise further.
OP was on a Tier 2 ICT Dependent visa which can be issued for 5 years (though rare, usually 3 years initially).
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri May 01, 2020 9:30 am

CR001 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:26 am
OP was on a Tier 2 ICT Dependent visa which can be issued for 5 years (though rare, usually 3 years initially).
It is the exception that proves the rule. Thank you for catching that, CR001.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

anrg
Newly Registered
India

Post by anrg » Fri May 01, 2020 12:45 pm

CR001 wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:26 am
secret.simon wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 9:18 am

Yes we were in long term ICT so got a 5 year visa and paid IHS for the 5 year term. Thanks for the reply @scret.simon and your view. We're trying to figure since for 4 people switching the IHS fees are rather substantial :)

@CROO1 any view on the refund question will be great to have.

Maria7890
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Maria7890 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:17 pm

Curious if you got your refund?

I am going through something similar. Tier-2 ICT (expires in March 2025) switching to Spouse Visa that will expire in 2.5 years.