ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Retaining South African citizenship before SET(M) application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

radiogaga
Newly Registered

Retaining South African citizenship before SET(M) application

Post by radiogaga » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:11 pm

Hi all,

I'm a South African who will be applying for ILR via SET(M) later this year. I would like to retain my South African citizenship, and have a couple of queries about this process, though unfortunately South Africa House in London hasn't answered my calls or emails for the past few weeks. So, I'm hoping someone here might have some insight.

(1) I believe a company called Apostil in South Africa will do the application with Home Affairs, in South Africa, for a fee of few thousand Rand. It seems pricey, but they ask for far fewer documents than are needed here in the UK, and maybe it'll be way less stressful than dealing with South Africa House has already been. Anyone have experience with this? :?:

(2) If I do have to do it via South Africa House in London, I first need to register my UK marriage with them, though they say that can only be done in person (not by post), and they are currently only taking postal applications. Catch-22! Anyone have any suggestions?? :shock:

Thanks in advance!

(Apologies if this isn't posted on the correct board.)

secret.simon

Re: Retaining South African citizenship before SET(M) application

Post by secret.simon » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:28 pm

One of the other moderators is from South Africa and would be better placed to give you more details advice.

But in any case, applying for SET(M), which only leads to ILR in the UK, will not impact your South African citizenship, to the best of my knowledge.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

radiogaga
Newly Registered

Post by radiogaga » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:41 pm

Hi - thanks for the reply! Sorry, I should clarify that I am applying for ILR and then want to apply for British citizenship after that.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:42 pm

(1) I believe a company called Apostil in South Africa will do the application with Home Affairs, in South Africa, for a fee of few thousand Rand. It seems pricey, but they ask for far fewer documents than are needed here in the UK, and maybe it'll be way less stressful than dealing with South Africa House has already been. Anyone have experience with this? :?:
You don't need to pay anyone to do it. Simply don't yourself. You will first need a letter from Home Office (at a fee) that you are NOT a British citizen. You then take the letter and apply for retention (at a fee) at the Consular Service in Whitehall. And then wait for that. It is a straightforward process.
(2) If I do have to do it via South Africa House in London, I first need to register my UK marriage with them, though they say that can only be done in person (not by post), and they are currently only taking postal applications. Catch-22! Anyone have any suggestions?? :shock:
Never heard of this requirment.

Why, if I may ask, do you want to retain your SA citizenship? Without it, you still will always have the right to permanent residence in SA if you were born there.

As a dual SA/British citizen, be mindful that if you are in SA and anything happens to you, you will not get British consular assistance, help or repatriation as you will be in a country of which you hold SA citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

radiogaga
Newly Registered

Post by radiogaga » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:08 am

Hi CR001 - thanks for your reply.

My problem is that the South African High Commission in London is currently not holding any in-person appointments, due to COVID. Their website also clearly states that I need to have registered my foreign marriage with Home Affairs in RSA before they can process my Retention of Citizenship application - but since this has to be done in person, with no route for postal registration, I seem to be at an impasse. Also, the South African High Commission requires a lengthy list of certified/legalised/apostilled documents to process the Retention of Citizenship application, whereas the same process in South Africa seems to require only very few documents (ID document/birth certificate + non-acquisition of UK citizenship letter) - hence me leaning towards paying Apostil to do the application for me in South Africa.

As for retaining RSA citizenship: I travel extensively and there are still some countries (not many, admittedly!), e.g. in Africa, where it's a bit easier to get around on an RSA passport than a UK one. I believe there may also be complications for my financial affairs in RSA if I lose my citizenship. Never considered the lack of consular assistance/repatriation etc. aspect, though...

jivda
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by jivda » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:23 pm

Hi radiogaga

Did you manage to get this completed? I am in a similar boat and need to apply for retention of SA citizenship before I apply for UK citizenship.

I just completed the process of proving I am not a British Citizen yet (at £250...!!) and will attempt to go to the Consular Service when they open again post lockdown. I am not aware of the other requirements you mention regarding registering UK marriage and certified copies etc.