ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long will application take?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

BenAnswers2
United Kingdom

Should we make online application now?

Post by BenAnswers2 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:27 pm

Hi all,

My wife is applying for a Family of A Settled Person visa, but we can't submit the biometrics at the moment as the VFS centres in Colombia are closed.

Should we submit the online portion of the application anyway?
We have all the documents ready, we're just waiting for the processing centre to open.

Thanks for your advice,
Ben

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Should we make online application now?

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:55 pm

BenAnswers2 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:27 pm
Hi all,

My wife is applying for a Family of A Settled Person visa, but we can't submit the biometrics at the moment as the VFS centres in Colombia are closed.

We have all the documents ready, we're just waiting for the processing centre to open.

Thanks for your advice,
Ben
You can go ahead and submit the application and keep checking till you get an appointment for biometrics. Check that those documents that are to be within 28 days are still valid.

BenAnswers2
United Kingdom

Post by BenAnswers2 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:16 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:55 pm
BenAnswers2 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:27 pm
Hi all,

Thanks for your advice,
Ben
You can go ahead and submit the application and keep checking till you get an appointment for biometrics. Check that those documents that are to be within 28 days are still valid.
Does a mortgage statment for accomodation purposes need to be within 28 days?
Or just bank statements? (I am relying solely on savings).

And it's within 28 days before submission of the form rather than attending the appointment?

Thanks so much for your quick reply - I had no idea that we could just submit the forms now :)

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:25 pm

BenAnswers2 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:16 pm

Does a mortgage statment for accomodation purposes need to be within 28 days?
Not strictly but ideally should be
BenAnswers2 wrote:
Or just bank statements? (I am relying solely on savings).
Latest bank statement should strictly be no older than 28 days from the date of application
BenAnswers2 wrote:
And it's within 28 days before submission of the form rather than attending the appointment?

Thanks so much for your quick reply - I had no idea that we could just submit the forms now :)
From application
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

BenAnswers2
United Kingdom

Post by BenAnswers2 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:49 pm

Thanks to both for the guidance on this.

BenAnswers2
United Kingdom

Can translation be done in UK?

Post by BenAnswers2 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:15 am

Hello,

My wife is applying for her Family of A Settled Person visa (spouse) from Colombia.

Question 1) Can the documents be translated by a UK-based translator? Or do they have to be translated in Colombia?

Question 2) What does my wife actually need to take to the VAC? Is there a printout thing proving what we've uploaded to the VFS website or something similar? Should she take copies of all the documents to the centre? Or if uploading is done online is this not necessary?

Thanks in advance for your replies!
Ben

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Can translation be done in UK?

Post by AmazonianX » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:35 am

BenAnswers2 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:15 am
Hello,

My wife is applying for her Family of A Settled Person visa (spouse) from Colombia.

Question 1) Can the documents be translated by a UK-based translator? Or do they have to be translated in Colombia? Can be done by UK based translator. Will the documents to be given to the translator be original?

Question 2) What does my wife actually need to take to the VAC? Is there a printout thing proving what we've uploaded to the VFS website or something similar? Should she take copies of all the documents to the centre? Or if uploading is done online is this not necessary? A print out will be generated at the end proving what was uploaded. It is a safe act to take the originals along in case there is any missing or illegible document.

Ben

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:45 am

1. Should be possible.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:33 pm

BenAnswers2 wrote:

Question 2) What does my wife actually need to take to the VAC?
Strictly follow the instruction which you will receive upon submission or prior to appointment.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

BenAnswers2
United Kingdom

Post by BenAnswers2 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:42 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:35 am
BenAnswers2 wrote:
Hello,

Question 1) Can the documents be translated by a UK-based translator? Or do they have to be translated in Colombia? Can be done by UK based translator. Will the documents to be given to the translator be original?

Question 2) What does my wife actually need to take to the VAC? Is there a printout thing proving what we've uploaded to the VFS website or something similar? Should she take copies of all the documents to the centre? Or if uploading is done online is this not necessary? A print out will be generated at the end proving what was uploaded. It is a safe act to take the originals along in case there is any missing or illegible document.

Ben
Should they be from the original documents?
Does this mean I should send them the originals?

I already have a translation which says
"Certified to be a true and accurate translation of the text provided from Spanish to English" and it was done by an official translation company.

Would that be enough?

I notice that this is slightly different from ‘true and accurate translation of the original document’

Perhaps I am overthinking this?

BenAnswers2
United Kingdom

Post by BenAnswers2 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:04 pm

Another question:

My signatures on my daughter's birth certificate and my sponsor letter (versus the one on my passport) look different. I did the passport signature when I was 17 and since then my signature has evolved!

Does this matter?

I'm definitely overthinking, right? :cry:

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:18 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

BenAnswers2
United Kingdom

Signature has changed!

Post by BenAnswers2 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:57 pm

My signatures on my daughter's birth certificate and my sponsor letter (versus the one on my passport) look different. I did the passport signature when I was 17 and since then my signature has evolved!

Does this matter?

(Family of Settled Person Visa)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:09 pm

vinny wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:18 pm
See also Document Certification and Translation and certified translation, as examples.
??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vinny

Re: Signature has changed!

Post by vinny » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:51 am

I only included these examples to show possible reasons for rejections. They may or may not be relevant in the UKVI’s case. I suspect if they are in doubt of any scanned documents, then they may request originals or certified copies.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:59 am

BenAnswers2 wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:04 pm
Another question:

Does this matter?

I'm definitely overthinking, right? :cry:
I would hope they are aware that signatures may evolve over time.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:57 am

vinny wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:51 am
I only included these examples to show possible reasons for rejections. They may or may not be relevant in the UKVI’s case. I suspect if they are in doubt of any scanned documents, then they may request originals or certified copies.
Note also 39B
(f) Where any specified documents provided are not in English or Welsh, the applicant must provide the version in the original language and a full translation that can be independently verified by the Entry Clearance Officer, Immigration Officer or the Secretary of State.
The translation must be dated and include:
(i) confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the original document;
(ii) the full name and signature of the translator or an authorised official of the translation company;
(iii) the translator or translation company’s contact details; and
(iv) if the applicant is applying for leave to remain or indefinite leave to remain, certification by a qualified translator and details of the translator or translation company’s credentials.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:05 pm

BenAnswers2 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:57 pm

Does this matter?

(Family of Settled Person Visa)
Since the unprecedent evolution of technology especially since the last decade where signatures have been replaced with biometrics features almost everybody's signatures kept on changing from time to time. That reason alone won't cause any issue.

BenAnswers2
United Kingdom

Translation after application date

Post by BenAnswers2 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:30 pm

Does it matter if I have a translation which is dated after the date I submitted the online Family of A Settled Person application?

The original document is dated before, just that the translation is after.

BenAnswers2
United Kingdom

Re: Translation after application date

Post by BenAnswers2 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:24 pm

I get the impression restrictions like these to do with the application date are mostly linked to financial documents?

Is that correct?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Translation after application date

Post by seagul » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:33 pm

BenAnswers2 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:30 pm

I get the impression restrictions like these to do with the application date are mostly linked to financial documents?

Is that correct?
Yes precisely but other documents relating to accomodation should ideally be within 28 days as well. However, due to covid19 ramifications, there are little concessions in place.

BenAnswers2
United Kingdom

How long will application take?

Post by BenAnswers2 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:49 pm

Spouse visa submitted on September 8th 2020 in Colombia.
I think it will be a straightforward application.

Any ideas how long it will take to get a decision? 1-2 months?

Will I receive an acknowledgement of any kind once they start processing it?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: How long will application take?

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:09 pm

BenAnswers2 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:49 pm
Spouse visa submitted on September 8th 2020 in Colombia.
I think it will be a straightforward application.

Any ideas how long it will take to get a decision? 1-2 months? Under present climate insufficient data to use in forecasting service timeline for decision.

Will I receive an acknowledgement of any kind once they start processing it? You may or may not.