ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Adequate maintenance and Spouse Visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sauhs
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Adequate maintenance and Spouse Visa

Post by sauhs » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:06 pm

Hello.
I was wondering if anyone could help me out please.
Background - I got married in 2018 to my Husband who is currently in Pakistan. I now have a daughter who is a british citizen, she lives with me. I am receiving Carers Allowance at £270ish a month caring for a family member. And I also get Universal Credit £405 a month - this includes previously so called child tax credit. And £80 a month Child Benefit. I live with my family - no accomodation costs or council tax etc.
Would I be able to try for a spouse visa for my husband? Do I meet adequate maintenance? Any pointers or anything Im missing?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Adequate maintenance and Spouse Visa

Post by seagul » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:11 pm

sauhs wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:06 pm
Hello.
I was wondering if anyone could help me out please.
Background - I got married in 2018 to my Husband who is currently in Pakistan. I now have a daughter who is a british citizen, she lives with me. I am receiving Carers Allowance at £270ish a month caring for a family member. And I also get Universal Credit £405 a month - this includes previously so called child tax credit. And £80 a month Child Benefit. I live with my family - no accomodation costs or council tax etc.
Would I be able to try for a spouse visa for my husband? Do I meet adequate maintenance? Any pointers or anything Im missing?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... bAurc-D5gy

https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/pk/en

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/partner-spouse
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

sauhs
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by sauhs » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:44 pm

Yes Ive read those links before posting this question.

sauhs
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by sauhs » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:53 pm

Any further help anyone?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:33 pm

You need to read all previously given links in its entirety. Yes you can apply spouse visa through adequate maintenance.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

sauhs
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by sauhs » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:14 pm

Like I said : I have read them. But am i meeting the adequate maintenance threshold? And do I qualify for a fee waiver for the fees and health surcharge?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:20 pm

sauhs wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:14 pm
And do I qualify for a fee waiver for the fees and health surcharge?
No to both as you neither are destitute right now nor prone to destitution due to already receiving the public funds.

mavaas11
United Kingdom

Post by mavaas11 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:01 pm

A - B > C
Income - Housing COSTS > Income Support + Carers element/premium
Income - 0 > £116.80 + £41
Income > £158 to meet adequate maintenance requirement

So

£67.25 (Carers Allowance) + £18 (Child Benefit, based on £80 per month) + Child Tax Credit/ UC >
£85.25 + I dont know about Universal credit, so if you could tell us how much child tax credit there is
£85.25 + Child tax credit (£54) > £158 (Income support + Carers element)
£139 > £158
£19 short per week, but ive only used you child tax credit , child element, i dont know if you get the family element or if UC is allowed.

Worst case Scenario if you didnt add uc , you would need £19 *143 weeks (entry clearance) = £2,717 savings

I would say you DO meet the adequate maintenance requirement, get it double check by a solicitor etc
or just get £3,000 savings dont let it dip belw £3,000 for 6 months prior to application and say you got funds from carers/ uc etc

All calculations are weekly, as adequate maintenance has to be higher than income support weekly level of £116.80

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:18 pm

seagul wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:20 pm
sauhs wrote:
No to both as you neither are destitute right now nor prone to destitution due to already receiving the public funds.
That is not the only legal test.
The test is whether the person can afford to paythe fess, whether paying it will result in destitution.
The other test is whether there are exceptional circumstances which makes requiring the fees undesirable.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Korekt
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by Korekt » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:28 pm

Indeed.

This is the gist of this recent judgement which HO didn't appeal.
"Facts are sacred. Opinions are free."

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:13 pm

I would not say it is that judgement that established the precedent, it was established as way back as Omar and subsequently Carter. It was only the Home Office that was stubborn to act lawfully.

I beleive they sought to challenge the decision of the UT, although i do not believe they will succeed.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:37 pm

According to none-immigration school of thoughts the destitution can be defined as:
"Destitution means going without the bare essentials we all need. That’s a home, food, heating, lighting, clothing, shoes and basic toiletries. We define destitution as when people have lacked two or more of these essentials over the past month because they couldn’t afford them; or if their income is extremely low – less than £70 a week for a single adult. This definition is also based on what the general public agree destitution to be"

Based on above if we compare it with op's circumstances where she is fully housed with parents and receiving public funds with only one British dependant who is already exempted from all fees & thresholds, so where and how can someone fit in fee waiver criteria. Also that case study doesn't fit here because as stated earlier that op has British child who don't pay any fee and the husband she has need entry clearance who must be housed at abroad too. So the authorities can easily suggest to apply when you will be fit to apply. Thanks to Google where anything supporting a claim can be found which doesn't necessarily fit into another scenario like as above. I am sure on same Google search we can find thousands of refused fee waiver applications.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:56 pm

Op is getting following around £755 per month with almost zero major outgoings, so show me where destitution lies??

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:29 pm

I am not questioning your definition of destitution, i am only saying that destitution is not the only criteria, nor is it the gold standard.

I accept that all individuals who meets that criteria will succeed. However, it is not the only criteria.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:37 pm

Even by keeping aside the term called destitution, the main factor is affordability which in op's case seems be tested positive. An entry clearance, if is not affordable now then can be applied at later and there are no exceptional factors involved because based on what op is earning can easily visit her partner.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:17 pm

I am not dealing with the merits of an individual case. You may well be right that the OP may not qualify and that is a fact that i did not dispute.
I was merely stating that the test your cited was an incomplete test, based on caselaws.

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by JB007 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:31 am

seagul wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:37 pm
According to none-immigration school of thoughts the destitution can be defined as:
"Destitution means going without the bare essentials we all need. That’s a home, food, heating, lighting, clothing, shoes and basic toiletries. We define destitution as when people have lacked two or more of these essentials over the past month because they couldn’t afford them; or if their income is extremely low – less than £70 a week for a single adult. This definition is also based on what the general public agree destitution to be"
It is set very low. It's only about £75 for those who are destitute and wanting the jobseeker's element benefit. But with that £75 (ish) per week cash benefit, they may have to use that to also top up the monthly rent money as benefits won't cover all the rent, pay their set (by the council) amount for council tax and maybe even pay a contribution towards any children they have that don't live with them. What's left is then for their food, other utilities (water, gas, electic).

In contrast, without any housing costs, the OP has a lot of money given to her to spend on herself and her child. Not as good as a wage, but a lot better than those living on welfare benefits who also have to pay their own housing costs.

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by JB007 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:40 am

mavaas11 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:01 pm

£67.25 (Carers Allowance) + £18 (Child Benefit, based on £80 per month) + Child Tax Credit/ UC >
£85.25 + I dont know about Universal credit, so if you could tell us how much child tax credit there is
It's less benefit money on Universal Credit than it would have been on Child Tax Credits.

The reductions on the Child Tax Credit benefits that claimants didn't want and were so happy when the government changed their minds, the government put on Universal Credit instead.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:16 am

JB007 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:31 am

In contrast, without any housing costs, the OP has a lot of money given to her to spend on herself and her child. Not as good as a wage, but a lot better than those living on welfare benefits who also have to pay their own housing costs.
Exactly

sauhs
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by sauhs » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:33 pm

seagul wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:20 pm
sauhs wrote:

Ok thanks

sauhs
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by sauhs » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:41 pm

mavaas11 wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:01 pm
A - B > C
Income - Housing COSTS > Income Support + Carers element/premium
Income - 0 > £116.80 + £41
Income > £158 to meet adequate maintenance requirement

So

£139 > £158
£19 short per week, but ive only used you child tax credit , child element, i dont know if you get the family element or if UC is allowed.

Worst case Scenario if you didnt add uc , you would need £19 *143 weeks (entry clearance) = £2,717 savings

I would say you DO meet the adequate maintenance requirement, get it double check by a solicitor etc
or just get £3,000 savings dont let it dip belw £3,000 for 6 months prior to application and say you got funds from carers/ uc etc

All calculations are weekly, as adequate maintenance has to be higher than income support weekly level of £116.80
I dont get CTC i get UC of £400ish pound which INCLUDES a child element of £235 a month. But my incoming is the carers allowance at £270ish a month , child benefit £80 a month and UC £400ish
Don't I also have to also add family premium to 'c' in the equation a - b > c? Not just carers premium.
I will try to keep £4000 savings aswell just to be on the safe side.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:55 pm

sauhs wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:41 pm
I dont get CTC i get UC of £400ish pound which INCLUDES a child element of £235 a month. But my incoming is the carers allowance at £270ish a month , child benefit £80 a month and UC £400ish
Don't I also have to also add family premium to 'c' in the equation a - b > c? Not just carers premium.
Be aware that you cannot count all benefits under the adequate maintenance route. Only very specific benefits are counted, for example child benefit doesn't count.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... .0-ext.pdf
Under paragraph E-ECP.3.3., E-LTRP.3.3., E-ECC.2.3. or E-LTRC.2.3 (partners on
a 5year route to settlement under Appendix FM and their children), to be able to
meet the financial requirement through adequate maintenance, the applicant’s
partner or parent’s partner must be receiving one or more of the following:
• Disability Living Allowance
• Severe Disablement Allowance
• Industrial Injury Disablement Benefit
• Attendance Allowance
• Carer’s Allowance
• Personal Independence Payment
• Armed Forces Independence Payment or Guaranteed Income Payment under
the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
• Constant Attendance Allowance, Mobility Supplement or War Disablement
Pension under the War Pensions Scheme
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mavaas11
United Kingdom

Post by mavaas11 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:09 pm

Yes i calculated the child element,
£54

I dont think you need family premium, please ask someone, as you are not sponsoring that child, that child has a british passport so youre not sponsoring her

better ask someone, if that child doesnt count then you will need the savings i previously mentioned, otherwise its a simple calculation, adding the family premium, income support (£116.80), carers element (£37) + IS for the one dependant child. whatever you need , multiply by 143 (weeks) , thats what you need in savings.

sauhs
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by sauhs » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:16 am

CR001 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:55 pm
sauhs wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:41 pm
Be aware that you cannot count all benefits under the adequate maintenance route. Only very specific benefits are counted, for example child benefit doesn't count.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... .0-ext.pdf
Under paragraph E-ECP.3.3., E-LTRP.3.3., E-ECC.2.3. or E-LTRC.2.3 (partners on
a 5year route to settlement under Appendix FM and their children), to be able to
meet the financial requirement through adequate maintenance, the applicant’s
partner or parent’s partner must be receiving one or more of the following:
• Disability Living Allowance
• Severe Disablement Allowance
• Industrial Injury Disablement Benefit
• Attendance Allowance
• Carer’s Allowance
• Personal Independence Payment
• Armed Forces Independence Payment or Guaranteed Income Payment under
the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
• Constant Attendance Allowance, Mobility Supplement or War Disablement
Pension under the War Pensions Scheme
Yes. I just read the publication you attached..all benefits can be counted towards income. Only third party support is not counted. It says child benefit can also be included

" The following sources of income of the applicant (in respect of employment or self-
employment, only if they are in the UK with permission to work) or (as appropriate)
their partner, parent, parent’s partner or other sponsor can be counted where an
application under Appendix FM has to meet the adequate maintenance requirement:
• income from salaried or non-salaried employment
• non-employment income, for example, property rental or dividends from shares.
• income from Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, Child Benefit, income-
related benefits, contributory benefits and benefits/pensions payable to Armed
Forces veterans and their partner
• cash savings held for at least 6 months prior to the date of application
• state (UK or foreign) or private pension
• income from self-employment and income as a director of a specified limited
company in the UK
Income sources not permitted
The following sources of income cannot be counted where an application under
Appendix FM has to meet the adequate maintenance requirement:

• third party support"

sauhs
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by sauhs » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:19 am

mavaas11 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:09 pm
Yes i calculated the child element,
£54

I dont think you need family premium, please ask someone, as you are not sponsoring that child, that child has a british passport so youre not sponsoring her

better ask someone, if that child doesnt count then you will need the savings i previously mentioned, otherwise its a simple calculation, adding the family premium, income support (£116.80), carers element (£37) + IS for the one dependant child. whatever you need , multiply by 143 (weeks) , thats what you need in savings.
Thanks