ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

PEO experience of Long residence ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Raptor
Newly Registered

PEO experience of Long residence ILR

Post by Raptor » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:33 pm

Dear members

This is my experience of getting ILR through completing 10 years legal stay in the uk. i hope it helps.

Last week, i had an appointment with the Croydon PEO, and arrived 30 minutes before my time. After the relevant security checks, was asked to queue up. Whilst queueing i was asked by one of the ushers on what basis I was making my LTR application on the day. I replied by showing my SET(O) form together with a short answer "It's a 10 year long residence application". She then replied in a curt manner by saying "yes i know but is it workpermit, marriage, student or what?" I was tempted to reply in kind, but kept calm, and replied "workpermit", although one does not need 10 years legal stay on a work permit to get ILR. Her question made me understand her lack of understanding of the rules pertaining to ILR.

Thereafter i was asked to go to a counter for the initial check by an Immigration Officer. After handing over my application form, passports(current and previous), other documents etc. After perusing through my passports she told me that i would have to apply by post as couple of my visa stamps did not show continuity. I knew this would come up when applying, hence i did a SAR. On my SAR report it was apparent that all my applications were done on time although the stamps were few days late. I also took the post office tickets with me. Thus, when the IO made the point of applying by post, i replied by showing her the relevant documents from my SAR report. I cannot emphasise more the importance of doing a SAR when applying for ILR. If i had not done it, i would've had to do the application by post. The IO then spoke to another colleague and then told that i could proceed with my application.

After the payment, i sat in the area waiting for my turn. I was then called about an hour later to a counter where i gave my application, passports, etc. The Immigration officer was extremely courteous and polite. She had a look through my application and told me that it would take 2-3 hours for them to process it. To my surprise i wasn't asked any questions, and so i was quite unsure. Also wasn't asked for any of my financial status documents(bank statements or salary slips). Hence, i decided to stay in the building in case they wanted more information. I must say it was quite a "painful and a mind numbing" experience. i was so glad that i had brought 2 newspapers with me.

After a 5 1/2 hour patient wait, i was given my passport together with the ILR stamp. I was very pleased and left the building.

Points to remember:

The documents i had with me were;
2 passports(current/previous)
SET(O) application
Life in the uk test document
6 months salary slips
5 months bank statements
relevant documents from my SAR to prove there were no gaps in my stay(to show the application was made on time)

as said before by many other experienced members, the need for attendance letters dating back for so many years, old documents etc is not required.

Most importantly do a SAR check. If i hadn't done so, today i would be looking at months before a decision would be made regarding my application. Also be patient, polite and cheerful, even though the experience might be otherwise, as it is we who need their service.

i hope this account helps others when making applications. :)

Regards
raptor

HSMP MESS

Post by HSMP MESS » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:37 am

whatz ur advice to people who dont have immigration stamps at the time of entry for short breaks in 10yr period
I HAVE VALID VISAS during 10 yr period and none of my trips were long
I have always been employed by the NHS
Only problem is duing short trips in 2002/ 2003 immigration officials at heathrow never bothered to put the stamp on entry
They used to check the passport have a quick conversation and wave us thru
Now since 2005 thet are meticulousy stamping the passports for short trips

do u think if i Request an SAR THEY(HOME OFFICE) WOULD HAVE THE DATES ?

COZ I HAVE DATES OF ME ENTERING AND LEAVING OTHER AIRPORTS(IN OTHER COUNTRIES) DURING THOSE BREAKS BUT IT DOES NOT PROVE I CAME BACK TO UK?(DOES IT?) It just says I have entered and left Bombay but it does not say where I ENTERED AFTER BOMBAY
I could have gone anywhere??? COULDNT I ??? (I have valid visas for uk and pay slips during the period) and I am an honest John but the Home office does not know that!!
But it was their fault they did not stamp date of entry on my passport
Can my case be argued if /when I APPLY FOR ILR on THE 10 yr rule?

PS I am on hsmp and work permit+ permit free =a total of 10 yrs

Please advice

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:11 am

I have got a question.

For someone applying for ILR on the basis of 10yrs long stay , how important is the period of absence (like holidays) from Uk. I mean if any stamps missing (entry). I thought it's 10yrs continuous stamp on the passport is more important.

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:22 pm

I recall reading a few postings on this forum on how to apply for a SAR report. Can someone provide this info or pointers to the earlier postings.

Also, perhaps these instructions can be made sticky?

Thanks.