ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Welcome to the world of Identity Cards

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

John
United Kingdom

Welcome to the world of Identity Cards

Post by John » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:56 pm

News on the UKBA website tells us :-
Identity cards for foreign nationals

From 25 November 2008 we will begin to issue identity cards to foreign nationals applying for further leave to remain in the United Kingdom under certain categories. The first cards will be issued to migrants applying as:

* a student; or
* the husband, wife, civil partner or unmarried partner of someone holding permanent residence in the United Kingdom.

Applications under these categories are made using application forms FLR(S) or FLR(M).

More information about the identity cards for foreign nationals project can be found in the managing our borders section. This information sets out:

* the reasons for introducing the identity cards:
* the importance of the cards;
* the benefits the cards will offer;
* how the card will be used;
* who will be issued with a card; and
* when the guidance for checking the card will be published.

Source : click here
John

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:32 pm

Wonder if they'll be free, he said, expecting the answer 'no'!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:04 pm

Of course, I know realise the card will be issued as part of the FLR app!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:28 pm

Wanderer wrote:Wonder if they'll be free, he said, expecting the answer 'no'!
Are you conversing with yourself and answering your own questions?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:49 pm

That seems to be the case. However will the application fee for the FLR(M) go up?

Also, what does :-
someone holding permanent residence in the United Kingdom
-: actually mean? Does it mean someone who holds ILR or PR, or does it also include British Citizens?
John

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:45 am

The introduction of the foreign national identity cards is a multi staged process. The FLR lot being the first, new overseas app's were going to be next - some problems with that at the moment, then onto ILR holders and those with longer than 3 years leave to enter and on and on until the only people in the UK without ID cards will be the people of the UK! Most of our EEA friends have them at present.

Next great game - prove you are from the UK - "er would do but er ehm don't have an ID card. So that must make me a UK cit...." as you are pushed into the back of the Border Force van.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:09 am

Hi Frontier Mole, that is useful. But are you able to clarify exactly who this first step is aimed at? That is, what exactly do they mean be "someone holding permanent residence in the United Kingdom"? What do the use of the words "permanent residence" mean, in that sentence? Are they talking about just someone who has PR status under EU/EEA regulations? Or someone who has ILR? Or indeed anyone? Including say someone who is a British Citizen?

And do you know about the fee situation? Is there going to be an additional amount payable for the ID card?
John

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:18 am

John wrote:Hi Frontier Mole, that is useful. But are you able to clarify exactly who this first step is aimed at? That is, what exactly do they mean be "someone holding permanent residence in the United Kingdom"? What do the use of the words "permanent residence" mean, in that sentence? Are they talking about just someone who has PR status under EU/EEA regulations? Or someone who has ILR? Or indeed anyone? Including say someone who is a British Citizen?

And do you know about the fee situation? Is there going to be an additional amount payable for the ID card?
I can answer the second part after going through the old FLR(M) and the New Version (August 2008): The fee is the same with or without an ID card. It does not state if an applicant has to pay extra for the service. I envisage this is going to be free for the applicants being issued ID's with their current FLR application.

My gut feeling is that, going forward, any stand-alone application for ID cards eg. ILR holders and LTR holders who currently have stamps and stickers in their current ppts would be asked to pay a fee.

From going through the document published by BIA, I am of the mind that, by permanent resident, they meant ILR on the UK rule and not EU (PR) routes since the latter already get issued with a photocard.

My question now is, those who have applied and supplied biometric data in the past before 25th of November, are they going to be issued with ID cards by post as a backlog system? I am yet to find out and would share this information but if you know, let us know.
Praise The Lord!!!!

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:43 am

My understanding is that the scheme will apply to all foreign nationals who require leave to enter or remain. British Citizens have "Right of Abode", so it won't apply to them, or, I think, EU Nationals who can establish their right to live and work here by producing their national identity card.

I would guess that after a period where the majority of new applicants have been issued with these cards, they will set a cut-off date by which everybody else including those with ILR will have to apply.

Such a touching faith in the ability of little bits of plastic to control us all. The inevitable consequence of these measures will be a further increase in the fraudulent use of documents over which UKBA has no control - i.e. EU i/d cards and passports, unless they also introduce mandatory registration for EU citizens who are exercising their treaty rights, so as there is a database against which checks can be made.

AlexCh

Post by AlexCh » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:35 am

Can anybody explain me - what the difference ID cards make comparing to the biometrical visa/leave to remain? Most (or probably all) employers do not have any special equipment to read data stored on the chip on the card - so for them it is nice printed piece of plastic against nice printed sticker in the passport?

On the other hand - police or immigration authorities can always check your finger prints and compare them with the stored biometrical data.

So - what is the difference? Apart of additional revenue...

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:00 pm

A passport is relatively a difficult document to replace, when compared to ID cards.
Also, you are not expected to carry passport in your wallet when you are out and about, but soon be expected to carry ID cards as per the draft policies by the govt.
Re: biometric info(finger prints, retina scan) , the possibilities are endless in the both forms it just a matter of embedding them, and yes - serious money being spent !
AlexCh wrote:Can anybody explain me - what the difference ID cards make comparing to the biometrical visa/leave to remain? Most (or probably all) employers do not have any special equipment to read data stored on the chip on the card - so for them it is nice printed piece of plastic against nice printed sticker in the passport?

On the other hand - police or immigration authorities can always check your finger prints and compare them with the stored biometrical data.

So - what is the difference? Apart of additional revenue...