ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

**** COVID19 and UKVCAS Appointments **** (ONLY discuss here)

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

M555
United Kingdom

Re: **** COVID19 and UKVCAS Biometrics Appointments **** (ONLY discuss here)

Post by M555 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:53 pm

HKN123 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:13 pm
nikhil_18in wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:29 am
HKN123 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:14 am
Morning all - I applied on 31st July and gave my in-person biometrics on 1st Sep and received the home Office Atlas email today morning advising my application is successful. I am indebted to this forum for keeping me sane through this stressful period and providing timely updates that are useful to all. Hang in there folks - there is light at the end of the tunnel. Happy to share my experience if that is useful to anyone
Hey, Heartiest Congratulations, Do you mind Sharing the Centre and time of the Bio Appt please?
Sure, it was the Lansdowne Road, morning slot
HKN123 on your timeline it seemed like you used IDV app. I was excited but then checked your message here. I hope the IDV user will be able to share some good news.

(Email re biometric reuse / IDV app: 05/08/2020
Access granted to IDV app: 30/08/2020
Date Biometrics Enrolled: 01/09/2020)

iamawonder
Mood:
India

Post by iamawonder » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:32 pm

On a slightly different note, this might be interesting for some. Probably your chance to vent out your anger:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/call ... d-services

mkhan83
Ireland

Post by mkhan83 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:40 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:41 pm
Yes I can confirm biometrics appointments open as soon as IDV app invite comes. Also, even after submitting via the IDV app, the appointments tend to remain open.
Hi CULLINAN
It's my understanding (I could be wrong). An applicant is invited to use IDV app because applicant decided to NOT TO OPT OUT in the first place. So when an applicant receives invitation to use IDV app, the BIOMETRIC APPOINTMENTS also opens up for him reason being if UKVI is not satisfied with the uploaded selfie or liveness check then you will be given another chance to book an appointment that's why BIOMETRIC APPOINTMENTS are kept apen for an applicant.
It's my understanding

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:49 pm

@mkhan83
Hi CULLINAN
It's my understanding (I could be wrong). An applicant is invited to use IDV app because applicant decided to NOT TO OPT OUT in the first place. So when an applicant receives invitation to use IDV app, the BIOMETRIC APPOINTMENTS also opens up for him reason being if UKVI is not satisfied with the uploaded selfie or liveness check then you will be given another chance to book an appointment that's why BIOMETRIC APPOINTMENTS are kept apen for an applicant.
It's my understanding
Selection for IDV app or biometrics appointment is taken by UKVI. Applicants have no control over it.

Once you are selected for IDV app, previously applicants were given a chance to opt out (not sure if that will the case later on).

Moving forward, if you are chosen for IDV app, you will have to wait till you get an IDV app invite. Once the invite comes, you will alternatively have an option to book an appointment instead via UKVCAS if in case you dont want to/can not use IDV app for any reason.

The appointments seem to be open even after you submit your biometrics via the IDV app. Possibly because in case UKVI has some issues with the biometrics you submitted via the IDV app, you can be asked to book an appointment again.

Hope it is clear.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Toxic
Pakistan

Post by Toxic » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:51 pm

Still, no one has reported that they got their decision after using idvapp. Nothing on twitter.. only one claim which I found on youtube is below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFLBQlfvsS0

not sure if it is true or otherwise. :| :| :roll: :roll:

Korekt
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by Korekt » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:55 pm

damWills1984 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:47 am
Just to update my timeline for anyone interested.
Made application on August 5th, FLR(M)
Got email "Introducing the UKVCAS IDV app" with eligibility saying invitation will be sent by 14th September.

Still no email.
You do not state when you received the eligibility email.

You may well receive the invite by the date they've stated.
"Facts are sacred. Opinions are free."

SIyer
India

Post by SIyer » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:02 pm

iamawonder wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:39 pm
nash4elovek wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:34 pm
matthew20 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:12 pm
You're not given the option to book an appointment unless you experience issues when using the app
This sounds horrible and I really hope it's not true.
My only hope was to book an appointment as soon as I receive the email and be out of this vicious IDV cycle!
I wouldn't take that statement at face value. As far as we have heard other people's experiences, biometric appointments open as soon as the IDV access is given. People who received IDV recently in last 2 days can confirm this.
I received the email last evening and I opted to book an appointment instead of using the IDV app. My appointment is for tomorrow morning so I’ll update here if there indeed is any problem.

Sez30
United Kingdom

Post by Sez30 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:17 pm

You are able to book an appointment for biometrics even after using the IDV app. Husband took photo and liveness on IDV 27/08 and today attended a biometric appointment. Fingers crossed we get an answer soon!

yozer
Newly Registered
Mood:
Turkey

Post by yozer » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:02 pm

Do you see any free appointments for London soon?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:08 pm

yozer wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:02 pm
Do you see any free appointments for London soon?
Landsowne Road earliest coming up 4th Sep
London Premium Lounge 9th Sep
Croydon 17th Sep

Have not checked free or not but majority are paid these days.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

krishnakumarg
- thin ice -
India

Post by krishnakumarg » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:16 pm

Sez30 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:17 pm
You are able to book an appointment for biometrics even after using the IDV app. Husband took photo and liveness on IDV 27/08 and today attended a biometric appointment. Fingers crossed we get an answer soon!
After the selfie and liveness check stages, the applicant can also choose not to continue with the IDV app. From your post, it is not clear whether the applicant decided to suspend proceeding with the IDV app, and pursue a physical appointment instead.

Can you confirm that the applicant actually clicked on the "submit" button within the IDV app, and additionally attended physical appointment for biometrics today?

Sez30
United Kingdom

Post by Sez30 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:49 pm

krishnakumarg wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:16 pm
Sez30 wrote:
After the selfie and liveness check stages, the applicant can also choose not to continue with the IDV app. From your post, it is not clear whether the applicant decided to suspend proceeding with the IDV app, and pursue a physical appointment instead.

Can you confirm that the applicant actually clicked on the "submit" button within the IDV app, and additionally attended physical appointment for biometrics today?
Submitted through IDV and attended a biometric today. We had tried to escalate the application and received an email yesterday saying that the application had been pre assessed and was waiting for biometric enrolment and once attended the biometric appointment the decision making team will be able to continue.
There was no mention of the IDV app which was rather weird so took the decision to book a biometric.

asap8
India

Post by asap8 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:00 pm

Sez30 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:49 pm
krishnakumarg wrote:
Sez30 wrote:

Submitted through IDV and attended a biometric today. We had tried to escalate the application and received an email yesterday saying that the application had been pre assessed and was waiting for biometric enrolment and once attended the biometric appointment the decision making team will be able to continue.
There was no mention of the IDV app which was rather weird so took the decision to book a biometric.
How did you escalate, please?

Billydkid
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by Billydkid » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:27 pm

Hello all,

Just had my biometrics submitted. Do they send any confirmation once the biometrics are done or they don't? Please anyone can you comment.

Thanks

krishnakumarg
- thin ice -
India

Post by krishnakumarg » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:31 pm

asap8 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:00 pm
Sez30 wrote:
krishnakumarg wrote:
Sez30 wrote:

Just now contacted the home office CIH team, and after much cajoling (and annoying repetition) was put through to someone at the relevant "customer business unit" (whatever that is) and then after some cogent persuasion was transferred to the "application technical support team". I spoke to the same person (withholding name information here), but this person has previously responded to me when I emailed ApplyOnlineE-Support@homeoffice.gov.uk

The bad news is: There is no use whatsoever doing the dual submission (IDV app followed by in-person biometrics). So, whoever did that (including myself) just lost money paying for the appointment.

Here is the explanation they gave me. The IDV app is deployed on a pilot basis in response to the backlog that arose due to the pandemic and lockdown. Within UKVI's systems, there is no automated way to verify applicant's facial images, and confirm that identity fraud hasn't taken place.

At the earliest phase of the trial, applicants were given an option to opt-out. The metadata for the applicants digital records in this category were then tagged with an "in-person" verification flag. Therefore, when these applicants attended their biometrics at a physical application centre, as soon as their biometrics came through, these were marked as having successfully passed identity verification, and passed on to the caseworker for further evaluation.

On the other hand, those who did not opt-out were auto-tagged as requiring manual verification. Since identity fraud can happen, this is verified through a double-gating system. First a staff at UKVCAS checks to make sure that the app submission is generally okay (not just the photo, but generally monitoring that there are no other errors/data corruption etc). This gating stage will be removed as they establish more confidence in the app following internal reviews. In the second gating stage, a dedicated UKVI identity verification team checks that the photo and fingerprints match up to the applicant's info previously held in the database.

If there is any cause for doubt in any of these IDV app submissions, such as shadow on face or head covering, they typically err on the side of caution to send it back to the applicant and ask them to book a physical appointment.

When the biometrics pass through the second gating stage, the UKVI team shall pass it on to the caseworker who now has access to all the supporting docs and application, and can then make a decision in their standard timeframe. This explains why IDV app is delayed. So the tech staff clarified that once you are flagged as IDV pool, there is no use doing a dual submission, since you are already going to manually checked twice.

The one thing they refuse to confirm was whether the caseworker has pre-assessed an application pending biometrics. They said that they represent just the UKVI's technical support team, and have no connection whatsoever with policies regarding decision-making.

iamawonder
Mood:
India

Post by iamawonder » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:39 pm

krishnakumarg wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:31 pm
asap8 wrote:
Sez30 wrote:
krishnakumarg wrote:

Just now contacted the home office CIH team, and after much cajoling (and annoying repetition) was put through to someone at the relevant "customer business unit" (whatever that is) and then after some cogent persuasion was transferred to the "application technical support team". I spoke to the same person (withholding name information here), but this person has previously responded to me when I emailed ApplyOnlineE-Support@homeoffice.gov.uk

The bad news is: There is no use whatsoever doing the dual submission (IDV app followed by in-person biometrics). So, whoever did that (including myself) just lost money paying for the appointment.

Here is the explanation they gave me. The IDV app is deployed on a pilot basis in response to the backlog that arose due to the pandemic and lockdown. Within UKVI's systems, there is no automated way to verify applicant's facial images, and confirm that identity fraud hasn't taken place.

At the earliest phase of the trial, applicants were given an option to opt-out. The metadata for the applicants digital records in this category were then tagged with an "in-person" verification flag. Therefore, when these applicants attended their biometrics at a physical application centre, as soon as their biometrics came through, these were marked as having successfully passed identity verification, and passed on to the caseworker for further evaluation.

On the other hand, those who did not opt-out were auto-tagged as requiring manual verification. Since identity fraud can happen, this is verified through a double-gating system. First a staff at UKVCAS checks to make sure that the app submission is generally okay (not just the photo, but generally monitoring that there are no other errors/data corruption etc). This gating stage will be removed as they establish more confidence in the app following internal reviews. In the second gating stage, a dedicated UKVI identity verification team checks that the photo and fingerprints match up to the applicant's info previously held in the database.

If there is any cause for doubt in any of these IDV app submissions, such as shadow on face or head covering, they typically err on the side of caution to send it back to the applicant and ask them to book a physical appointment.

When the biometrics pass through the second gating stage, the UKVI team shall pass it on to the caseworker who now has access to all the supporting docs and application, and can then make a decision in their standard timeframe. This explains why IDV app is delayed. So the tech staff clarified that once you are flagged as IDV pool, there is no use doing a dual submission, since you are already going to manually checked twice.

The one thing they refuse to confirm was whether the caseworker has pre-assessed an application pending biometrics. They said that they represent just the UKVI's technical support team, and have no connection whatsoever with policies regarding decision-making.
Did @HKN123 just got lucky then and passed two stages of verification in 2 days after physical appointment? Or have I misunderstood the timeline?
Email re biometric reuse / IDV app: 05/08/2020
Access granted to IDV app: 30/08/2020
Date Biometrics Enrolled: 01/09/2020
Decision Letter received: 03/09/2020

Cool_Cucumber
Newly Registered
India

Post by Cool_Cucumber » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:43 pm

Update:

Application Date: 18th August 2020
ILR Route: Tier 2 General 5 Years, Main Applicant only
Via Solicitor: Yes, and I have login credentials for UKVCAS website, given to me by the solicitor.
Biometrics Re-use Email Received: 03/09/2020 17:22

Fingers crossed, hoping now to get the IDV Access Invitation email soon.

Sez30
United Kingdom

Post by Sez30 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:45 pm

krishnakumarg wrote:
asap8 wrote:
Sez30 wrote:
krishnakumarg wrote:

Rather annoying if that’s the case seen as the email we received from the escalation department, made it seem like they needed an in person appointment to continue with the application which we did.

krishnakumarg
- thin ice -
India

Post by krishnakumarg » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:53 pm

Sez30 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:45 pm
krishnakumarg wrote:
asap8 wrote:
Sez30 wrote:

Rather annoying if that’s the case seen as the email we received from the escalation department, made it seem like they needed an in person appointment to continue with the application which we did.
"made it seem like" they needed an in-person appointment.

That might be a catch. Can you redact all sensitive info and post the exact wording here that led you to think that booking a physical appointment after IDV submission was helpful?

I don't blame you at all. I also thought in-person appointment is helpful. We cling on to hopes, and sometimes our mind plays on the words, and we believe what we wish to believe.

Sez30
United Kingdom

Post by Sez30 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:00 pm

krishnakumarg wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:53 pm
Sez30 wrote:
krishnakumarg wrote:
asap8 wrote:

That might be a catch. Can you redact all sensitive info and post the exact wording here that led you to think that booking a physical appointment after IDV submission was helpful?

I don't blame you at all. I also thought in-person appointment is helpful. We cling on to hopes, and sometimes our mind plays on the words, and we believe what we wish to believe.
“We have now received a response from the decision-making team.

Your case has been pre assessed and is awaiting your biometric enrolment. As soon as you have attended your biometric appointment, the decision-making team will then be able to continue your application.”

stonelove
India

Post by stonelove » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:12 pm

Sez30 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:00 pm
krishnakumarg wrote:
Sez30 wrote:
krishnakumarg wrote:

Your case has been pre assessed and is awaiting your biometric enrolment. As soon as you have attended your biometric appointment, the decision-making team will then be able to continue your application.”
If I may ask, have got the email address of the decision making team or how did you get into contact with them any info or response will be very much appreciated thanks.

krishnakumarg
- thin ice -
India

Post by krishnakumarg » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:16 pm

Sez30 wrote:
krishnakumarg wrote:
Sez30 wrote:
krishnakumarg wrote:

First of all, thanks a lot for sharing this. That's very nice of you to do so. Absolutely don't blame you for attending the appointment after IDV submission by looking at the wording. I would have done the same.

Now, in light of the information given by the tech team (and especially noting that the only info exchange between teams is biometric information), we can put together the pieces of the puzzle to give us the complete story.

The decision-making team has yet to receive your biometrics. They don't know if they are going to get it green-lighted through app or in-person appointment or whatever. That checkbox is not checked off for them. And their system (ATLAS, which is a new state of the art system that replaced the old system from 1998, https://sites.google.com/view/pcs-home- ... tlas-in-bf, https://www.theregister.com/2018/04/12/ ... _database/) probably does not allow the caseworker to click on the "approve" button until biometrics are green-lighted and tagged to the application.

So, the escalation team sends you a generic standard email that they have been sending others since 2018 or so (and not a specific wording recently crafted accounting for post-covid era IDV app), which reads to me as "Ok look. we don't have your biometrics yet. As soon as we get it, we'll click on the decision-making button".

Makes all the more sense. Your IDV app submission was still pending manual checking and approval by a different team, as of the time of their writing to you. Too bad that you didn't know earlier that in-person appointment after being flagged for IDV was a waste of money.
Last edited by krishnakumarg on Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nash4elovek
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by nash4elovek » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:17 pm

krishnakumarg wrote:
On the other hand, those who did not opt-out were auto-tagged as requiring manual verification.
How about those applicants who were never asked if they want to opt out (August)? It would be so unfair to require us all to go through the longest route with no choice.

I still think that submitting biometrics at the UKVCAS centre might speed things up. Just hoping I'll be given that option when the time comes.

I was also worried about "proceed to assess the application within the standard timeframe" - does it mean that 6 months starts only when you submit biometrics? I thought it started on the application date. At least that's what gov.uk info suggests.

In addition, at the teleconference held jointly by UKVI and UKVCAS the following was said:
"UKVI has confirmed that extensive work has been undertaken to complete pre-assessment casework in advance of successful submission of biometrics."

gabidzas
England

Post by gabidzas » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:18 pm

Hi All;
Can anyone share a list of mandatory documents that are required to book and attend biometrics appointment Please? Appointment confirmation + passport + brp?

Sez30
United Kingdom

Post by Sez30 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:24 pm

stonelove wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:12 pm
Sez30 wrote:
krishnakumarg wrote:
Sez30 wrote:

If I may ask, have got the email address of the decision making team or how did you get into contact with them any info or response will be very much appreciated thanks.
Phoned ‭0300 123 2241‬ and explained why we wanted to escalate they said they would pass it on and then had email as above.the email is no reply