ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship certificate correction

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Moa7

Post by Moa7 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:38 am

I've done my ceremony virtually yesterday but the council found an error in my citizenship certificate and have sent it to the Home Office for correction.

They don't know how long the Home Office will take and when I'll get my certificate. Calling the Home Office hasn't helped since no one answers.

Does anyone know if I should return my BRP now or after receiving the certificate? Bearing in mind under a normal pre-covid ceremony the Home Office requires the BRP to be returned within 5 days of the ceremony otherwise there's a fine of £1000

Malikg123
United Kingdom

Re: Ceremony done virtually, when to return BRP? After receiving certificate or before?

Post by Malikg123 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:40 am

Wait until you get the new Certificate.my friend had the same issue but he filed a form and send it back to home office by himself explaining the error and and it took him 3 weeks to get a new one after receiving new certificate he send back his biometric card.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -07-18.pdf
Moa7 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:38 am
I've done my ceremony virtually yesterday but the council found an error in my citizenship certificate and have sent it to the Home Office for correction.

They don't know how long the Home Office will take and when I'll get my certificate. Calling the Home Office hasn't helped since no one answers.

Does anyone know if I should return my BRP now or after receiving the certificate? Bearing in mind under a normal pre-covid ceremony the Home Office requires the BRP to be returned within 5 days of the ceremony otherwise there's a fine of £1000

Moa7

Re: Ceremony done virtually, when to return BRP? After receiving certificate or before?

Post by Moa7 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:14 pm

Malikg123 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:40 am
Wait until you get the new Certificate.my friend had the same issue but he filed a form and send it back to home office by himself explaining the error and and it took him 3 weeks to get a new one after receiving new certificate he send back his biometric card.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -07-18.pdf
Moa7 wrote:

Thank you! Did this happen to your friend recently?

Malikg123
United Kingdom

Post by Malikg123 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:23 pm

Last year in November 2019

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:31 am

BRP must be returned to HO when you attend the ceremony. That is because you lose the ILR status when you become British and the BRP is invalid :!: :!:
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Moa7

Post by Moa7 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:41 am

Zimba wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:31 am
BRP must be returned to HO when you attend the ceremony. That is because you lose the ILR status when you become British and the BRP is invalid :!: :!:
That's exactly what my main consideration is as well

But at the moment I don't have any proof that I'm a British Citizen until I get the certificate so is my ILR really invalid?

DreamerInDarkness
Taiwan

Post by DreamerInDarkness » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:02 am

Moa7 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:41 am
Zimba wrote:

But at the moment I don't have any proof that I'm a British Citizen until I get the certificate so is my ILR really invalid?
You will have proof when you attend your ceremony.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:03 am

Moa7 wrote:
Zimba wrote:

No, your ILR is no longer valid. It was superceded by the completion of the ceremony which is the point you officially became British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

AC12
Mood:
India

Post by AC12 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:18 pm

Moa7 wrote:

The invitation letter states that if any of your personal details are incorrect, then you should still attend the ceremony (which you did, virtually) and once you have received the certificate from the council, you should then send the certificate back to HO for correction with a copy of your passport. They need a copy of your passport to verify the personal details that are incorrectly printed on the certificate (Name/DOB/City of Birth)

Can I ask what the error was ?

Not sure why the council sent it back for correction and not send it to you first so you can follow up with HO?

Moa7

Post by Moa7 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:50 pm

AC12 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:18 pm
Moa7 wrote:

The invitation letter states that if any of your personal details are incorrect, then you should still attend the ceremony (which you did, virtually) and once you have received the certificate from the council, you should then send the certificate back to HO for correction with a copy of your passport. They need a copy of your passport to verify the personal details that are incorrectly printed on the certificate (Name/DOB/City of Birth)

Can I ask what the error was ?

Not sure why the council sent it back for correction and not send it to you first so you can follow up with HO?
The details on my invitation letter were correct but when the council received my certificate they noticed some error with the date on it I'm not sure what date to be honest, but the council sent the certificate back to the Home Office for correction themselves so I never saw the error myself

Moa7

Post by Moa7 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:51 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:03 am
Moa7 wrote:
Zimba wrote:

No, your ILR is no longer valid. It was superceded by the completion of the ceremony which is the point you officially became British.
That makes sense thank you!

Moa7

Home Office lost my citizenship certificate

Post by Moa7 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:35 am

Two weeks ago the council sent my citizenship certificate back to the Home Office as there was some error in the date printed on the certificate. I'm not sure which date was wrong as I never saw the certificate.

Just now my council called me to say they contacted the HO for an update and the HO say they never received the certificate back. Thankfully the council had sent the certificate by signed post so they have a signature that proves someone at the HO definitely received my certificate but the HO say they don't know where it is.

What exactly can I do in this situation?? Any suggestions would be helpful I'm just so frustrated

Moa7

Re: Home Office lost my citizenship certificate

Post by Moa7 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:35 am

Hoping I get some help on this forum.

There is still no update on how long my citizenship certificate will take to be corrected and when I can apply for a British passport.

Can I travel on my ILR until then? The HO website says to return ILR 5 days after receiving the citizenship certificate and since I haven't received the certificate yet I haven't returned my ILR.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:04 pm

Moa7 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:35 am
Hoping I get some help on this forum.

There is still no update on how long my citizenship certificate will take to be corrected and when I can apply for a British passport.

Can I travel on my ILR until then? The HO website says to return ILR 5 days after receiving the citizenship certificate and since I haven't received the certificate yet I haven't returned my ILR.
No one can tell you how long it will take. You need your certificate to apply for a passport. You CANNOT travel as your ILR is invalid now. When you attend the ceremony, you lose your ILR status. You MUST return your ILR BRP asap :!: :!:
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Moa7

Post by Moa7 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:35 pm

The HO website says:

"After you get your certificate
You must send your biometric residence permit (BRP) back to the Home Office within 5 working days of getting your certificate of British citizenship.

Cut your BRP into 4 pieces and put it in a windowless envelope.

Include a note saying you’re returning your permit because you’ve become a citizen. Include your name, date of birth and the document number (found on the front of the card) in the note."

And I haven't received my certificate yet

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:07 am

It said “After ...”. If you haven’t received your certificate, then there’s no requirement to return the BRP before the event.

Moreover, if you had any children born in the U.K. after your ILR grant, then destroying and returning the ILR BRP may be a bad idea.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Moa7

Post by Moa7 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:37 pm

I am not asking for help on how long it will take for my issue to be sorted.

All I want to know is am I basically not allowed to travel until I receive a corrected certificate and a British passport?? Given my ILR is now obsolete

So am I stuck in a limbo?

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:49 pm

Moa7 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:37 pm

All I want to know is am I basically not allowed to travel until I receive a corrected certificate and a British passport?? Given my ILR is now obsolete

It is NOT advisable to travel with an invalid ILR. You are a British citizen now and your ILR is not valid. Unlike ILR holders, the British citizens are NOT subject to immigration control and they must travel with a COE sticker in their passport or a British passport

Moa7

Post by Moa7 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:25 am

Zimba wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:49 pm
Moa7 wrote:

It is NOT advisable to travel with an invalid ILR. You are a British citizen now and your ILR is not valid. Unlike ILR holders, the British citizens are NOT subject to immigration control and they must travel with a COE sticker in their passport or a British passport
Thanks so basically I'm stuck in the UK with no ability to travel abroad in case of an emergency, and the HO cannot advise on time frames because their staff is still working from home and not coming in to print new certificates. Brilliant

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:45 am

Moa7 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:25 am
Zimba wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:49 pm
Moa7 wrote:

Thanks so basically I'm stuck in the UK with no ability to travel abroad in case of an emergency, and the HO cannot advise on time frames because their staff is still working from home and not coming in to print new certificates. Brilliant
Afraid so, this is not matter that occur regularly and exercising so calm will following up closely

Moa7

Post by Moa7 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:37 pm

It's been nearly a month since I did my citizenship ceremony, however my certificate is still with the Home Office for correction, since the Council sent it back to the Home Office and I never got to see it either.

I contacted my MP and they confirmed that they contacted the Home Office on my behalf, but the Home Office have not responded to the MP either.

I'm just so incredibly frustrated. Without the certificate I cannot apply for a British passport. I have old parents living abroad and I cannot go to see them because if I do I would not be able to enter back into the UK. I just don't know what to do 😭

DreamerInDarkness
Taiwan

Post by DreamerInDarkness » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:29 pm

Moa7 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:37 pm
It's been nearly a month since I did my citizenship ceremony, however my certificate is still with the Home Office for correction, since the Council sent it back to the Home Office and I never got to see it either.

I contacted my MP and they confirmed that they contacted the Home Office on my behalf, but the Home Office have not responded to the MP either.

I'm just so incredibly frustrated. Without the certificate I cannot apply for a British passport. I have old parents living abroad and I cannot go to see them because if I do I would not be able to enter back into the UK. I just don't know what to do 😭
Once everything is sorted out, make sure to consult a solicitor about potential legal action and seeking damages.

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:41 pm

My certificate had a spelling mistake. I sent it for correction in January, and then after 1 month or so I sent them a letter asking what is going on. I received a phone call a few days later, where they said that they are sorry for delay and that my certificate is on the way.
Indeed, it arrived a couple of days after that call.
(And by then it was mid-March, so I got stuck in passport processing for another 4 months and only got my passport after I attacked them on all fronts with employer letter about urgent business travel..)

Moa7

Post by Moa7 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:50 pm

obormot wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:41 pm
My certificate had a spelling mistake. I sent it for correction in January, and then after 1 month or so I sent them a letter asking what is going on. I received a phone call a few days later, where they said that they are sorry for delay and that my certificate is on the way.
Indeed, it arrived a couple of days after that call.
(And by then it was mid-March, so I got stuck in passport processing for another 4 months and only got my passport after I attacked them on all fronts with employer letter about urgent business travel..)
Thanks for sharing your experience obormot, it's a little comforting to know someone else who faced something similar.
I tried calling the Home Office yesterday but no one answered. Last week both myself and my MP have sent emails to the Home Office for an update yet they're so stubborn that they've responded to none of those emails.
My Council also contacted the Home Office last week and my council was told that a new certificate will need to be issued for me but no idea when
It's so so frustrating. My MP is from the Tory party and quite a big name so if the Home Office don't respond to him they'll definitely not respond to me. Obviously they don't take this issue seriously

Moa7

Post by Moa7 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:54 pm

DreamerInDarkness wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:29 pm
Moa7 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:37 pm

Once everything is sorted out, make sure to consult a solicitor about potential legal action and seeking damages.
Wouldn't that be ideal but I'm sure it will only cause me financial loss 😔 i just want my certificate already. My naturalization was approved in March yet 6 months later I'm still in limbo about when my certificate would reach me