ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Will Work History Affect the British Citizenship Application?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

David1025
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

British Citizenship - Good Character requirement

Post by David1025 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:33 pm

I am currently on ILR and will be applying for British Citizenship in November. I am a bit worried about the good character requirement, as I lost my last job due to twitter posts claiming I had inappropriate behaviour towards females and was a bully at work. While these claims are false, I am afraid they will affect my application. Does anyone have any guidance on this?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: British Citizenship - Good Character requirement

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:44 am

Were you reported to the police, taken to court and convicted of an offence?
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

David1025
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by David1025 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:01 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:44 am
No, this was handled entirely within my employment. However I am a bit worried as I have read that having notoriety "in the local or wider community by the scale and persistence of my behaviour." Any advise on the notoriety provision?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:53 am

Perhaps if you can explain why you may fall under "notoriety" - based on what you wrote in your first post?
Others may be able to add further comment - not something that has been queried before, to my knowledge.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:31 am

David1025 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:01 am
alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:44 am
No, this was handled entirely within my employment. However I am a bit worried as I have read that having notoriety "in the local or wider community by the scale and persistence of my behaviour." Any advise on the notoriety provision?
You are overthinking. You had an issue with your employer regarding allegations and you were subsequently fired. As long as you didn't end up in court and found guilty, there is nothing to worry about. Anything between yourself and your employer, is a private matter.

David1025
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by David1025 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:46 pm

Thank you for the advice. To be clear my concern is with the Notoriety part of the application. If my name is searched on google these twitter allegations come up on the first page of search results. I am concerned that my "activities have been notorious and cast serious doubt on my standing in the local community".

Do immigration officers take these allegations into account? Will they conduct a social media search of me?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:06 pm

We don't know which sources UKVI nationality case workers (not immigration officers!) use, except that it's a good guess they have access to many sources of information, such a government data, criminal records, credit reference data, and probably much more.

However, unless you are well known for your notoriety they cannot reject your application on just what they find on Google. Looking at the following sentence from the guidance should give you comfort on this point - note they use the terms "scale" and "persistence":

"However, where there is evidence that a person has, by the scale and persistence of
their behaviour, made themselves notorious in their local or the wider community,
you must consider refusing the application".

As @Zerubbabel says you are overthinking.

David1025
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by David1025 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:25 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:06 pm
We don't know which sources UKVI nationality case workers (not immigration officers!) use, except that it's a good guess they have access to many sources of information, such a government data, criminal records, credit reference data, and probably much more.

However, unless you are well known for your notoriety they cannot reject your application on just what they find on Google. Looking at the following sentence from the guidance should give you comfort on this point - note they use the terms "scale" and "persistence":

"However, where there is evidence that a person has, by the scale and persistence of
their behaviour, made themselves notorious in their local or the wider community,

Thank you @alterhase58 that does clarify things a bit, however I am still bit concerned as the social media post has other former co-workers also posting, claiming the same behaviour going back several years - it is distressing as I did not even work with some of these people. It is scary how people are adding to the "fire".

Would it be a good idea to disclose this situation with the application so that I am frank about the situation? I also can provide references from former co-workers to counter act these claims.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:31 pm

You are completely overthinking!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:03 pm

Would it be a good idea to disclose this situation with the application so that I am frank about the situation? I also can provide references from former co-workers to counter act these claims.
These things that happen on social media have no bearing on your citizenship application. Don't disclose anything. You are not going to tell the caseworker that you have bad reputation on Twitter and Facebook! You will be just sabotaging your own application by going into something that is not even relevant.

Notoriously bad character is much more than a person involved in a brawl in social media. We are talking about people involved in large scale scandals to the extent that they become a household common knowledge. It's high profile scandals that usually involve press and television.

I don't think they will google you. They have better and more relevant databases. They can check criminal records, tax records, immigration records... not twitter!

You are overthinking big time.

London22
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by London22 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:46 pm

David1025 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:25 pm
alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:06 pm

Thank you @alterhase58 that does clarify things a bit, however I am still bit concerned as the social media post has other former co-workers also posting, claiming the same behaviour going back several years - it is distressing as I did not even work with some of these people. It is scary how people are adding to the "fire".

If you tell the caseworker something like this they may likely take notice & weirdly can refuse you.It seems you have done something bad with work colleagues hence you are a bit concerned but better must not bring this dispute in an application.Home office doesn't follow its own guidance regularly .People with criminal record get citizenship in some cases & we have seen some cases where previous overstayers got naturalization.Your matter is irrelevant to the application .
Goodluck

David1025
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by David1025 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:30 pm

Thanks everyone! You have provided me invaluable advise and I will take it to heart. I will stop obsessing about the social media aspect.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:39 pm

David1025 wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:30 pm
Thanks everyone! You have provided me invaluable advise and I will take it to heart. I will stop obsessing about the social media aspect.
If social media worries you, its best to deactivate your account for the time being. But as previously mentioned above, your only overthinking.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

David1025
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Will Work History Affect the British Citizenship Application?

Post by David1025 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:12 pm

I was fired from my last job for gross negligence. Will this affect my citizenship application?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Will Work History Affect the British Citizenship Application?

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:13 pm

Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

David1025
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by David1025 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:49 pm

....I am over thinking it again?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:52 pm

These are your private matters. Getting fired from a job does not constitute a conviction.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:50 am

Topics merged!!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.