ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When is application considered "received"?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jls1988
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

When is application considered "received"?

Post by jls1988 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:06 am

Hi there - I'm preparing to submit my UK naturalisation application (via 1 year of ILR + married to British citizen) but haven't had a chance to get my references to sign the referee document (I won't see them until next weekend).

What happens after I submit my payment through the online tool? Will I be immediately asked to submit copies of my passport, referee documents, etc? At what point do they consider the application "received"? After payment or after they've received those documents? I ask because I was out of the UK between Sep 13 and Sep 21 in 2017 and want to make sure my application is received outside of this window.

Thanks for your help!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: When is application considered "received"?

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:23 am

Hi there - I'm preparing to submit my UK naturalisation application (via 1 year of ILR + married to British citizen)
There was no requirement to wait 1 year on ILR if you are married to a British citizen. You could have applied as soon as you got ILR and applied as spouse of British citizen without waiting 12 months.
but haven't had a chance to get my references to sign the referee document (I won't see them until next weekend).
Should be fine.
What happens after I submit my payment through the online tool?

You will be directed to UKCVAS to register and upload all your supporting documents, which must be done before your biometric appointment.
Will I be immediately asked to submit copies of my passport, referee documents, etc?
No.
At what point do they consider the application "received"? After payment or after they've received those documents?
The date of application is the date you submit and pay online and not the date of biometrics or the date you upload your documents.
I ask because I was out of the UK between Sep 13 and Sep 21 in 2017 and want to make sure my application is received outside of this window.
You should apply online, submit and pay either BEFORE the 13th or AFTER the 21st.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jls1988
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by jls1988 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:26 am

Thank you so much for the quick reply! We only got married last weekend which happened to align with my 1 year of ILR :) I'm applying via the marriage route since it's less work listing travel for the past 3 years instead of 5!

I'll make sure to submit and pay before the 13th.

Thanks again.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:05 am

Since you qualify both under Section 6(1) and Section 6(2) of the BNA 1981, I would urge you to write a cover letter and clarify that you want your application to be considered under Section 6(2) i.e. married with a British Spouse.
Personally I have seen, Section 6(2) applications are processed much quicker.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

jls1988
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by jls1988 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:27 am

I haven't submitted anything yet, so I could still go the route of applying via ILR only. Is that a less risky approach than the marriage route? The only difference I found was 5 year vs 3 year of travel history.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:30 am

jls1988 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:27 am
I haven't submitted anything yet, so I could still go the route of applying via ILR only. Is that a less risky approach than the marriage route? The only difference I found was 5 year vs 3 year of travel history.
You are free to choose whichever route. Both are fine. Both have different requirements and documents. For example 5 year VS 3years residency and absence requirements etc. Marriage certificate and a copy of British Passport is needed also if you go via British Spouse. Just to avoid confusion for the CW, I think it is best practice to mention in the cover letter.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

jls1988
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by jls1988 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:44 pm

I've just applied and made the payment and it's taken me to the UKVCAS site to book my biometrics appointment (which I need to do by 12 Nov 2020). There don't seem to be any available, but it also sounds like I may be able to do this via the app once I get access. Should I just wait until I get an invite to the app? Keep checking for appointments in the meantime? Do I need to upload any documents into UKVCAS now?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:00 pm

You will be emailed if you need to noon an appointment or if you are eligible for biometric reuse. It is not a choice that you can make and the app will work only if you are eligible and been notified.

Ukcvas is currently dealing with applications up to 28 August. So just needto wait to hear back.

You must upload your documents before appointment etc.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.