ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship certificate correction

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Moa7

Re: Home Office lost my citizenship certificate

Post by Moa7 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:22 am

No update as yet! I called the HO and they confirmed I cannot travel at all before I receive my British passport now, even if in case of an emergency. They also said they have no idea how long my certificate correction will take since it doesn't have any 'standard processing time'

So basically I had more rights as an ILR holder than I do now as a British citizen :x

nnn15
United Kingdom

Post by nnn15 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:55 am

Moa7 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:22 am
No update as yet! I called the HO and they confirmed I cannot travel at all before I receive my British passport now, even if in case of an emergency. They also said they have no idea how long my certificate correction will take since it doesn't have any 'standard processing time'

So basically I had more rights as an ILR holder than I do now as a British citizen :x
This is really sad. So sorry for you Moa7. Have you involved your MP? Maybe they could help sort out this issue, hopefully it should be easy to fix - just printing and sending the certificate..

Moa7

Post by Moa7 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:52 pm

nnn15 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:55 am
Moa7 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:22 am

This is really sad. So sorry for you Moa7. Have you involved your MP? Maybe they could help sort out this issue, hopefully it should be easy to fix - just printing and sending the certificate..
Thank you
Yes I involved my MP who is quite a big name in the Tory party and they wrote to the HO two weeks ago to ask for an update and told me they'd let me know when the Home Office responds to them, but there's been no update so far

vaza
Cayman Islands

Post by vaza » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:16 am

the British citizens are NOT subject to immigration control and they must travel with a COE sticker in their passport or a British passport
Can you point to a reference for this? I believe you can travel on any passport. Other countries have requirements like this, but not the UK. For example, British/EU citizens travel freely on foreign passports.

On the practicality, that's another matter. First you need to show airline staff how you enter - BRP will be fine. Second you need to explain to immigration officer on arrival. The latter is potentially problematic as their may be a fine for using an invalid document. Equally one would expect them to be understanding and cannot deny entry to a British citizen. But there would be a delay in any case.

To the OP: if travel is urgent, I think you have a very good chance of no fine on entry. If it's holiday, that's more difficult to justify and will depend on the officers involved - probably still no fine.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:33 am

vaza wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:16 am
the British citizens are NOT subject to immigration control and they must travel with a COE sticker in their passport or a British passport
Can you point to a reference for this? I believe you can travel on any passport. Other countries have requirements like this, but not the UK. For example, British/EU citizens travel freely on foreign passports.

On the practicality, that's another matter. First you need to show airline staff how you enter - BRP will be fine. Second you need to explain to immigration officer on arrival. The latter is potentially problematic as their may be a fine for using an invalid document. Equally one would expect them to be understanding and cannot deny entry to a British citizen. But there would be a delay in any case.

To the OP: if travel is urgent, I think you have a very good chance of no fine on entry. If it's holiday, that's more difficult to justify and will depend on the officers involved - probably still no fine.
The poster in this topic does NOT have their BRP anymore, they sent it back to HO. There is no 'fine' from the UK for using an 'invalid document', where on earth have you heard this!!

It is not entering the UK that is the issue, it is boarding a plane without a valid BRP card to prove your right to travel to the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

vaza
Cayman Islands

Post by vaza » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:29 am

The poster in this topic does NOT have their BRP anymore, they sent it back to HO.
This was not mentioned in the thread. I suggest you update here if it was a private conversation.
There is no 'fine' from the UK for using an 'invalid document', where on earth have you heard this!!
You are right. I stand corrected: the fine is for not returning the BRP and using it is where there is an opportunity to issue the fine. No difference for the rest.
It is not entering the UK that is the issue, it is boarding a plane without a valid BRP card to prove your right to travel to the UK.
Quite right. Non-visa nationals can do that or use the possibly 'invalid' BRP. Otherwise no dice.

Still there is no requirement to travel on British passport or COE.

Moa7

Post by Moa7 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:31 am

Thanks vaza and CR001

I've returned my ILR BRP since the moment I took my naturalization oath and became a British citizen my BRP became invalid.

Unfortunately my current passport is not from a country where I can enter the UK without a valid entry visa or residence permit of some sort. I'm not trying to travel on holiday but I have old parents living abroad in a non-EU country with underlying health issues and highly susceptible to the coronavirus. Its very upsetting to think I cannot visit them if the catch the virus and fall very ill.

No one from the Council to the HO to the MP has been able to confirm when my corrected certificate will be returned to be. It's been 6 weeks since I did my naturalization ceremony and my certificate has been with the HO, and could be several months before there's any update

Moa7

Post by Moa7 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:51 pm

I still don't have any update of when I can receive my corrected certificate, neither from my MP nor my Council. It's been 7 weeks.

If anyone else is in a similar boat, i.e. their certificate is with the Home Office for correction during the pandemic, please let me know how long your certificate has been with the HO and if/when you received it back, just so I can get some hope 😔

Moa7

Post by Moa7 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:08 pm

Really pleased to report I received my corrected citizenship certificate at my home address this morning!
I cannot say if the letter to the MP helped 'speed' things up but it took 7 weeks for my corrected certificate to reach me.

nnn15
United Kingdom

Post by nnn15 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:27 pm

Moa7 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:08 pm
Really pleased to report I received my corrected citizenship certificate at my home address this morning!
I cannot say if the letter to the MP helped 'speed' things up but it took 7 weeks for my corrected certificate to reach me.
Congratulations Moa7! Very happy for you and hope your passport application goes smoothly!

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:34 pm

Moa7 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:08 pm
An end to a tormenting period.

Moa7

Post by Moa7 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:16 pm

Thanks both! Yes it's an end to a really emotionally trying experience. Have put it my passport application now, fingers crossed :D

Moa7

Citizenahip certificate correction

Post by Moa7 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:19 pm

Admins could I please ask for this thread to be renamed "citizenship certificate correction" to make it easier for others in a similar boat to find and get a sense of the current timelines