ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

secret.simon

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by secret.simon » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:45 am

I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

qulain1
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by qulain1 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:11 am

Type:Naturalisation
Method: online

Ceremony Council: Hertfordshire
Date of Online Application: 20th of May 2020
Date of Biometrics and Document Submission: 26th of August 2020 (in-person appointment@UKVCAS)
Application Approved: 1st of September (approval/decision letter within UKVI email, NO invitation letter)
Date of receiving invitation letter:PENDING
Date of ceremony:PENDING

Hertfordshire council is conducting ceremonies every Monday and Wednesday but reluctant to share any details on enquires regarding naturalisation certificates. Anyone else here dealing with Hertfordshire council? It would be beneficial for all stakeholders if virtual ceremonies are introduced nationwide...fingers crossed!

grungium
Newly Registered

Post by grungium » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:33 am

Emeliajayne88 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:43 pm
If anyone is registered with Hackney council for the citizenship ceremony, you can join their waiting list once your application has been approved. You do not need to wait for your invitation letter. You will however need to provide your Home Office/Case ID number to join the list. I received this advice directly from Hackney Council.
Hi there, thanks for that information.

The reference number you're referring to there is the "Our Ref" number at the top right on the Application Decision Letter; is that correct?

Have you had any updates on your Ceremony, by the way?

Best of luck!

Raihanul
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Raihanul » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:22 pm

Hi folks,

We all tried sending HO email and called them numerous times. Has anyone tried sending them a letter? There’s an address on top of our approval letter. Just curious to find out if they are willing to reply.

Raihanul
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Raihanul » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:43 pm

This really really frustrates me. When you call HO on their UK Visa and Immigration helpline, it tells you (automated voicemail), to call on to a different number, if your query is in regards to the delay of ceremony or citizenship. When you call that number, they are like, "oh we don't deal with these matter, call UK Visa and Immigration helpline". Is this some kind of loop or are they trolling.

baybars1
United Kingdom

Post by baybars1 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:48 pm

Just called the Home Office and according to the information that they shared over the call, the Home Office are looking to accelerate the sending of ceremony invitation letters and are expecting to clear the backlog within 7-12 weeks from 7 August 2020, which gets us to the end of October 2020, on the outside.

They could not give me any details about their performance so far versus the target though.

DreamerInDarkness
Taiwan

Post by DreamerInDarkness » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:53 pm

baybars1 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:48 pm
Just called the Home Office and according to the information that they shared over the call, the Home Office are looking to accelerate the sending of ceremony invitation letters and are expecting to clear the backlog within 7-12 weeks from 7 August 2020, which gets us to the end of October 2020, on the outside.

Whilst the Home Office could not give me any details about their performance so far versus the said target, the local council might be able to confirm if they have already received a particular certificate (the certificate number is the same as the Home Office reference number in the approval letter/email).

As a side note, considering the amount of fees they charge, the Home Office should be reasonably expected to have developed an on-line tracking system for applications that provides estimated completion times for each of the next steps until the last step controlled by them has been completed, but they don't. On the bright side, there is the end-of-October-2020 deadline for sending the delayed citizenship ceremony invitation letters.
I would say take the 7-12 weeks from 7 August with a huge grain of salt, that was probably estimated assuming everything would go absolutely fine, and did not include new Covid related restrictions and anything else that can go wrong, etc etc

I would be very happy if the backlog was cleared in 2020 and didn't drag into 2021.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:16 pm

I’ve noticed people who received letters with invitations got them all the 8-12 days ago something like this. They were all dated with 17 and 24 August.
So seems until now they only sent out one batch.

baybars1
United Kingdom

Post by baybars1 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:23 pm

DreamerInDarkness wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:53 pm
baybars1 wrote:
I would say take the 7-12 weeks from 7 August with a huge grain of salt, that was probably estimated assuming everything would go absolutely fine, and did not include new Covid related restrictions and anything else that can go wrong, etc etc

I would be very happy if the backlog was cleared in 2020 and didn't drag into 2021.
The only other thing I can think of is to call them up 12 weeks after the approval date has passed, as indicated on the approval letter, and ask if they can escalate. Whether that would make a difference, I don't know.

Lopand
Poland

Post by Lopand » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:24 pm

baybars1 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:23 pm
DreamerInDarkness wrote:
baybars1 wrote:

The only other thing I can think of is to call them up 12 weeks after the approval date has passed, as indicated on the approval letter, and ask if they can escalate. Whether that would make a difference, I don't know.

I tried that as I got approved back in May and still waiting for the invitation letter, but they keep insisting that they can't escalate specific cases and that I just need to keep on waiting.

serg_ko
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by serg_ko » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:31 pm

Applied on 5th March, approval email - on 02 of June, no invitation letter. Today I sent email to Southwark Council (registrars@southwark.gov.uk) and received an answer in a half an hour :

Dear *****,
Thank you for your email.
We have not as yet received your naturalisation certificate from the Home Office.
Please wait for your invitation letter which is a separate letter from your decision letter.
On receipt of this letter please contact me to book a zoom citizenship ceremony or if you wish to attend a small group ceremony at Southwark Register Office please contact my colleague ****** at: ************@southwark.gov.uk

So, I keep waiting.

Learning18
United Kingdom

Post by Learning18 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:07 pm

serg_ko wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:31 pm
Applied on 5th March, approval email - on 02 of June, no invitation letter. Today I sent email to Southwark Council (registrars@southwark.gov.uk) and received an answer in a half an hour :

Dear *****,
We have not as yet received your naturalisation certificate from the Home Office.
Please wait for your invitation letter which is a separate letter from your decision letter.
On receipt of this letter please contact me to book a zoom citizenship ceremony or if you wish to attend a small group ceremony at Southwark Register Office please contact my colleague ****** at: ************@southwark.gov.uk

So, I keep waiting.

Hi,

Still waiting too, I got approved on the 3rd of June, we have similar dates so we will hopefully get the letter around the same time. No invitation letter for me yet

Runner12345
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Runner12345 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:35 pm

Learning18 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:07 pm
serg_ko wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:31 pm

Dear *****,

So, I keep waiting.

Hi,

Still waiting too, I got approved on the 3rd of June, we have similar dates so we will hopefully get the letter around the same time. No invitation letter for me yet
Joining the Southwark crew. Applied in February, approved mid-June. I got the exact same response 2 weeks ago. When I rang them, they confirmed they would not take any bookings without the invitation letter.

Wahidwadid
United Kingdom

Post by Wahidwadid » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:43 pm

Lopand wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:24 pm
baybars1 wrote:
DreamerInDarkness wrote:
baybars1 wrote:

I tried that as I got approved back in May and still waiting for the invitation letter, but they keep insisting that they can't escalate specific cases and that I just need to keep on waiting.
Same here, Lopand.

Wahidwadid
United Kingdom

Post by Wahidwadid » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:45 pm

Wahidwadid wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:43 pm
Lopand wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:24 pm
baybars1 wrote:
DreamerInDarkness wrote:

Same here, Lopand.
Let us know if u get an update.

baybars1
United Kingdom

Post by baybars1 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:23 pm

Apparently, there is a user on this forum whose application was approved by email on 18 May 2020 and citizenship ceremony invitation letter arrived on 3 September 2020. The info is posted in a timeline thread, here is the link:
https://www.immigrationboards.com/briti ... l#p1931912

baybars1
United Kingdom

Post by baybars1 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:22 pm

Also, there is another user whose emailed approval was received on 6 August and the ceremony letter came in on 21 August 2020, link: https://www.immigrationboards.com/briti ... l#p1931968

Raihanul
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Raihanul » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:07 pm

Contacted HO today. 12 weeks from 7th of August; we should all get our invitation. So not 12 weeks after approval. Well at least something from them. 30th of October let's all celebrate our long waiting invitation.

IrobotZ
China

Post by IrobotZ » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:47 pm

Raihanul wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:07 pm
Contacted HO today. 12 weeks from 7th of August; we should all get our invitation. So not 12 weeks after approval. Well at least something from them. 30th of October let's all celebrate our long waiting invitation.
12 weeks is the optimal time frame, many things could delay the deadline further.

Helen123
United Kingdom

Post by Helen123 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:48 am

Frou01 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:56 pm
sunny_uk123 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:20 pm
Hi all

Just an update for anyone who has chosen Solihull as their council for citizenship ceremony. I spoke to them today and they are only doing group ceremonies (reduced numbers) but doing them every week instead of every month to cope with the backlog. No private or e- ceremonies though.

They said they are receiving certificates from HO regularly on a weekly basis. They call all those for whom they receive the certificates so as to schedule the ceremonies.

good luck!
Thank you for this.

I’m in Birmingham and as Birmingham has the most applicants waiting and are still by March backlog keeping up to arrange ceremonies for almost 1000 new citizens.
I’m thinking that will take even longer than other councils to get through the backlog.

I will try to call them.
Also will try to call HO and ask if I could change to that council.
Hi @Frou01!

I’m also in Birmingham and was curious if you called the council and if they said how long the backlog is? I only just received my approval email today so I’ve accepted that it’ll be a long wait before I receive my invitation letter...
Thank you!

grabovska
Newly Registered
Mood:
Ukraine

Post by grabovska » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:37 am

Hey guys! Anyone dealing with Lewisham council here? On the same boat here, received my approval letter on Aug 27th, but no invitation letter yet...

Lopand
Poland

Post by Lopand » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:40 am

Regarding the latest posts here - I've been waiting for the invitation letter since being approved in May, but I believe that you have good chances to getting your invitation letter really soon, as it seems like the HO is sending the approval letter with the invitation soon after approving the new applicants who have been approved from August onward. I believe that most of you will have their ceremonies way before us, who were approved during the lockdown before June.

I'mInMyPJ's
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by I'mInMyPJ's » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:16 am

grabovska wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:37 am
Hey guys! Anyone dealing with Lewisham council here? On the same boat here, received my approval letter on Aug 27th, but no invitation letter yet...
Same council as me!
Submitted application: 16th March 2020
Approval email: 2nd June 2020
Invitation Letter: Pending
Enquiry sent to FurtherNationalityEnquiries email: 24th August 2020, no reply as of yet
Called helpline around the same time, they couldn't give me any more info told me to email.
Emailed my council, told that I need the Invitation letter to book a ceremony and to contact them again once I have it.
I never received an approval letter in the post, only the email.

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:55 am

Lopand wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:40 am
Regarding the latest posts here - I've been waiting for the invitation letter since being approved in May, but I believe that you have good chances to getting your invitation letter really soon, as it seems like the HO is sending the approval letter with the invitation soon after approving the new applicants who have been approved from August onward. I believe that most of you will have their ceremonies way before us, who were approved during the lockdown before June.
There’s always the opportunity to write to the complaint department.

complaints@homeoffice.gov.uk

Frou01
Member of Standing
Mood:
Finland

Post by Frou01 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:56 am

Helen123 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:48 am
Frou01 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:56 pm
sunny_uk123 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:20 pm
Hi all

Just an update for anyone who has chosen Solihull as their council for citizenship ceremony. I spoke to them today and they are only doing group ceremonies (reduced numbers) but doing them every week instead of every month to cope with the backlog. No private or e- ceremonies though.

They said they are receiving certificates from HO regularly on a weekly basis. They call all those for whom they receive the certificates so as to schedule the ceremonies.

good luck!
Thank you for this.

I’m in Birmingham and as Birmingham has the most applicants waiting and are still by March backlog keeping up to arrange ceremonies for almost 1000 new citizens.
I’m thinking that will take even longer than other councils to get through the backlog.

I will try to call them.
Also will try to call HO and ask if I could change to that council.
Hi @Frou01!

I’m also in Birmingham and was curious if you called the council and if they said how long the backlog is? I only just received my approval email today so I’ve accepted that it’ll be a long wait before I receive my invitation letter...
Thank you!
They are currently catching up with March still.