ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to travel abroad when passport is with Home Office

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

chandnip

How to travel abroad when passport is with Home Office

Post by chandnip » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:55 pm

Hi,
I have applied for Tier 1 visa last month and my passport is with the Home Office along with the visa application. The processing time is around 8-10 weeks for Tier 1 visa. I am an Indian national workiing in UK with work permit.
My query was that:
If I have to travel back to India urgently what should I do? (since my passport is with the Home Office).
[ I dont want to withdraw my Tier 1 application and my wife can collect my passport on my behalf in UK after I leave the country.]

I have heard that some embassies can issue concurrent passports in such cases. But what is the provision for urgent travel by Indians inside UK to any other country? Does the Indian embassy in UK issue any such concurrent passports or travel documents which can be used instead of passport to exit UK only?
Please note that I just want to travel back to India when I have to. I do not want to re-enter UK with the same document.

Any help is highly appreciated.
I am sure many people must have faced this situation.
Regards
LG

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:02 pm

If it is really urgent for you to travel the only way that I'm aware of is to withdraw your application so that you get your passports back.
I have heard that some embassies can issue concurrent passports in such cases. But what is the provision for urgent travel by Indians inside UK to any other country? Does the Indian embassy in UK issue any such concurrent passports or travel documents which can be used instead of passport to exit UK only?
Atleast I do not know of any such arrangement for Indian nationals, but you can verify it with Indian high commission in London.

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:13 pm

Also as a visa national you would not be able to board a plane backto the UK because you could not show a valid visa or continuing leave to enter or remain.

chandnip

Post by chandnip » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:55 pm

What about an emergency travel document issued by Indian embassy?

I only intend to travel out of UK without my passport. I dont want to come back in UK unless I get my passport and visa stamped. After the visa is stamped, my wife can collect it from Home Office in UK and later bring it back to me in India. Is this possible.

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:09 pm

Well if you are outside the UK you should not be having an application for leave to remain processed; if you leave the UK the application should be deemed withdrawn.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:57 pm

UKBAbble wrote:Well if you are outside the UK you should not be having an application for leave to remain processed; if you leave the UK the application should be deemed withdrawn.
that is not correct. as long as you apply within the country, you may leave the country while it is being processed.
how you get a travel document is up to you.

Post by 2347526 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:31 am

republique wrote:
UKBAbble wrote:Well if you are outside the UK you should not be having an application for leave to remain processed; if you leave the UK the application should be deemed withdrawn.
that is not correct. as long as you apply within the country, you may leave the country while it is being processed.
republique,
Is it the same case with application based on 14 years long residency?

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:32 pm

republique wrote:
Republique may be right. The Rules say this:

"34J. Where a person whose application or claim for leave to remain is being considered requests the return of his passport for the purpose of travel outside the common travel area, the application for leave shall, provided it has not already been determined, be treated as withdrawn as soon as the passport is returned in response to that request."

The OP wants to travel to India and get his wife to bring the passport with his FLR to him so that he can travel back on it. The wording of 34J doesn't preclude that. The query is really whether the Indians will issue him a second passport, which can best be answered by the Indian High Commission, unless somebody on this forum has direct experience.

I would beware of applying for a new passport on the grounds that the first one is "lost" or "stolen", as the first one thereafter could never be safely used to cross a border anywhere.