ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can you apply for retained rights with decree nisi?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Selby795
Newly Registered
Canada

Can you apply for retained rights with decree nisi?

Post by Selby795 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:26 pm

Hi there,

I'm reading conflicting advice online - most people on this forum and online say you MUST have your decree absolute in order to apply for retained right of residence, however, the official government guidance to home office workers judging the cases (link: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 5.0ext.pdf page 14) says nothing about decree absolute and only talks about providing evidence that you have INITIATED a divorce for example a decree nisi or even just confirmation from the court they've received the initial petition? It says you must supply evidence:

"• of the initiation of proceeedings for termination of their marriage or civil
partnership with the EEA national, such as:
o confirmation from the court that a valid application for a divorce or dissolution
has been received
o a decree nisi (marriage or annulment)
o a conditional order (civil partnership)"

It says nothing in the whole document about needing to provide a decree absolute. Have these rules changed? The guidance document is dated Feb 2020 so I wonder if there's been an update... any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Obie
Ireland

Re: Can you apply for retained rights with decree nisi?

Post by Obie » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:31 pm

The relevant period for consideration of document, is the date of initiation, but you must be divorced for you to be considered, as a person has right of residence until their marriage is terminated by competent authority.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Selby795
Newly Registered
Canada

Re: Can you apply for retained rights with decree nisi?

Post by Selby795 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:58 pm

Obie wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:31 pm
The relevant period for consideration of document, is the date of initiation, but you must be divorced for you to be considered, as a person has right of residence until their marriage is terminated by competent authority.
Thanks for your reply. I suppose it feels as though you should be able to apply before - after the marriage is terminated you'd think you are automatically not residing legally, until you are confirmed to have retained those rights. I guess its advisable to apply as soon as you receive the absolute? Is there a cut off date? Thanks again