ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

10 year ILR travel between standard application date and receipt of ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MaidaValeNewbie

Re: 10 Year ILR - Absence Confusion

Post by MaidaValeNewbie » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:15 am

Thanks for confirming on the absences. Just to be 100% clear, it doesn't matter if I left the UK on a Saturday morning and returned Sunday evening, that's still 0 day's absences, right? And departing the UK on a Friday morning, returning that Sunday evening would just be 1 day's absence?

Regarding SARs, I was told by the Home Office that, due to DPA requirements, they only hold entry/exit info for 5 years, but I suppose that doesn't mean they don't hold other things that might be disclosed in a '10 year SAR' for longer (such as visa applications, landing cards and the like).

One further quick question:

Background -

1. I was on a Tier 2 visa a few years back, and during that time I did a 6-month secondment to Paris with work. During this time I remained employed through the UK office and remained on the Tier 2 visa. I came back and forth to the UK a number of times and was never away for more than 6 weeks at a time.

2. Later, on the same Tier 2 visa, I was allowed a month long unpaid leave of absence at the end of my training. That was in addition to my normal annual leave allotment. That's customary in my field when progressing to the next stage of the career. I traveled abroad during that one-month unpaid leave and I also took all my other holidays throughout the rest of the year, many of those abroad.

I will be making a 10 year ILR application. For the purposes of my 10 year ILR application, I believe both of the above items 1. and 2. are fine, but grateful if you could confirm. (However, I understand they may be issues if I was applying under 5 year Tier 2 application?)

Thanks again.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:33 am

RE absences: Correct
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

MaidaValeNewbie

Post by MaidaValeNewbie » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:21 am

Thank you!

On the 'one further quick question/background' bit in my message above, I only ask about these as I read they could be issues. However, I think that would be the case only under Tier 2 ILR applications, not long residence apps. However, as those happened while I was on a Tier 2 visa, I just want to make sure I haven't done anything wrong!

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:28 pm

MaidaValeNewbie wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:15 am
Thanks for confirming on the absences. Just to be 100% clear, it doesn't matter if I left the UK on a Saturday morning and returned Sunday evening, that's still 0 day's absences, right? And departing the UK on a Friday morning, returning that Sunday evening would just be 1 day's absence?

Regarding SARs, I was told by the Home Office that, due to DPA requirements, they only hold entry/exit info for 5 years, but I suppose that doesn't mean they don't hold other things that might be disclosed in a '10 year SAR' for longer (such as visa applications, landing cards and the like).

One further quick question:

Background -

1. I was on a Tier 2 visa a few years back, and during that time I did a 6-month secondment to Paris with work. During this time I remained employed through the UK office and remained on the Tier 2 visa. I came back and forth to the UK a number of times and was never away for more than 6 weeks at a time.

2. Later, on the same Tier 2 visa, I was allowed a month long unpaid leave of absence at the end of my training. That was in addition to my normal annual leave allotment. That's customary in my field when progressing to the next stage of the career. I traveled abroad during that one-month unpaid leave and I also took all my other holidays throughout the rest of the year, many of those abroad.

I will be making a 10 year ILR application. For the purposes of my 10 year ILR application, I believe both of the above items 1. and 2. are fine, but grateful if you could confirm. (However, I understand they may be issues if I was applying under 5 year Tier 2 application?)

Thanks again.
They only disclose the travel history in SAR for up till 5 years but intrinsically hold this information for much longer duration. Besides this, whatever norm of absence your tier 2 sponsor used to bestow wouldn't actually be felicitous over long residence applications due to its own inexcusable absence threshold.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

MaidaValeNewbie

Post by MaidaValeNewbie » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:42 pm

Thanks for your response, but I'm not sure I understand.

Are you saying these absences under 1 and 2 are okay for long residence applications?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:48 pm

MaidaValeNewbie wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:42 pm
Thanks for your response, but I'm not sure I understand.

Are you saying these absences under 1 and 2 are okay for long residence applications?
Your absence and reasons for absence on tier 2 is completely irrelevant to ILR based on long residence. For long residence ILR, all absences are counted the same, regardless of business, compassionate or holidays. The only requirements you must meet is the 540 days limit and no single absence of 180 days or more.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

MaidaValeNewbie

Post by MaidaValeNewbie » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:10 pm

Great - thank you!

MaidaValeNewbie

10 year ILR - visitor stamps in passport

Post by MaidaValeNewbie » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:45 pm

Hi

I've held valid visas over the course of 10 years and will be applying soon for ILR on the 10-year route.

While I think everything is pretty much in order, I'm concerned about a couple of visitor stamps in an old passport. On a few occasions, while on a valid Tier 2 or Tier 4 visa, I was stamped in as a 'visitor' when returning to the UK. I note that none of these visitor stamps happened when I initially entered the UK on that particular visa. They each happened during the life of a visa, if that makes sense (so, while I was on that visa, but when I came back from a trip abroad).

For the first one of these stamps, the border person stamped the wrong stamp but manually corrected when he noticed he stamped the wrong stamp. I was on a Tier 4 at the time. I'm not particularly worried about this one.

For another, during the last two weeks of the validity of that same Tier 4, I was returning to the UK from a holiday and stamped in as a visitor. I've been told this stamp shouldn't matter as I didn't work or study during those last two weeks and visitor visas do count towards 10 year ILR anyway. I left the UK 2 weeks later, before my Tier 4 expired.

I'm only really concerned about one that occurred during a Tier 2. During that Tier 2, I was seconded to Paris for 6 months. I came back to the UK a number of times during this secondment. During one of my weekend visits back to the UK to visit friends, I must have entered the country as a visitor. I was only in the UK for 2 days that trip. Each other trip home during that secondment I entered with my Tier 2. I'm worried about this one in particular.

I've been told that, given I was able to keep entering the country on the Tier 4/Tier 2 visas, my visas don't appear to have been invalidated. However, I've also been told that these stamps may raise eyebrows. Over the course of 10 years, I've been in and out of the UK several dozen times, so I would hope these few errors won't matter.

However, does anyone have any experience with this?

Many thanks.

ajitu92
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: 10 year ILR - visitor stamps in passport

Post by ajitu92 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:47 pm

Shouldn't really matter as you had valid visas, but if you feel the need to, you can always explain it in a cover letter for peace of mind.
All my posts are my personal opinion based on my reading of the immigration rules and guidance. NOT to be taken as professional/legal advice.

MaidaValeNewbie

Post by MaidaValeNewbie » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:08 pm

Thanks for your reply. That's what I'm hoping! I wonder if any of the moderators have any experience with this?

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:01 pm

MaidaValeNewbie wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:08 pm
Thanks for your reply. That's what I'm hoping! I wonder if any of the moderators have any experience with this?
The stamps were issued incorrectly. You must have raised the issue with the officer at the border and explained that you have to leave to remain and you are NOT a visitor rather than smiling and walking off. I do not believe this will affect your ILR, however, this might delay your application
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

MaidaValeNewbie

10 year ILR travel between standard application date and receipt of ILR

Post by MaidaValeNewbie » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:50 pm

Hi

I will be applying for ILR in early December. If super priority hasn't resumed, I suppose I'll apply using the standard route, which I understand can take up to 6 months.

My question is, after I make my application, can I travel during the period between giving my biometrics and receiving (fingers crossed) ILR?

I'm near the 540 day limit, so I've avoided travelling ahead of making my application, but I'd be keen to travel once the application is lodged and biometrics are sorted. I'm currently on a Tier 2 visa, with 2 years left, so it's not like my visa is running out soon.

Many thanks.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: 10 year ILR travel between standard application date and receipt of ILR

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:53 pm

You can not travel after you make an ILR application. If you do, your application will be withdrawn.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

MaidaValeNewbie

Post by MaidaValeNewbie » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:52 pm

Thanks - that's disappointing. Can you point me to where this is written down?

I will still have a valid Tier 2 visa and my passport, so I would have thought there would be no problem.

MaidaValeNewbie

Post by MaidaValeNewbie » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:00 pm

actually, I'm seeing this now. hmm that's disappointing.

do we yet know when super priority might be back?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:05 pm

MaidaValeNewbie wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:00 pm
actually, I'm seeing this now. hmm that's disappointing.

do we yet know when super priority might be back?
No one knows.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:19 pm

MaidaValeNewbie wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:52 pm
Thanks - that's disappointing. Can you point me to where this is written down?

I will still have a valid Tier 2 visa and my passport, so I would have thought there would be no problem.
Would be extremely perilous manoeuvre:

If a person with an outstanding application, travels outside the CTA, the application
does not give them any right to re-enter the UK to receive a decision on their
application. They are liable to be refused entry, unless:
• they are allowed to re-enter the UK with a different type of leave
their existing leave has not yet expired and is not cancelled at the border
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... .0-ext.pdf
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.