ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Adopted Parent, Irish Grandparent - Registering Adoption / FBR

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

HarleyQ
Newly Registered
Wales

Adopted Parent, Irish Grandparent - Registering Adoption / FBR

Post by HarleyQ » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:04 pm

Hi all,

I've done a lot of scouring through this forum but I couldn't find anything too recent so I was wondering if anyone could help. Apologies if I have missed some important posts as I think my brain has turned to mush after going through this all.

My UK born mother was adopted in the UK in 1960's by my Irish born grandfather whilst he was residing here and still resides here. I am now looking into claiming my Irish citizenship and register as a foreign birth but I have been tasked with compiling everything for my mother as well as she was never registered.

Looking at The Adoption Authority of Ireland it states the following:
I would like to have an Irish passport but was adopted outside of Ireland? How can I do this?
The Adoption Authority of Ireland has no involvement in the issue of passports. Please see the website of the Department of Foreign Affairs www.dfa.ie for information. However, in order to apply for a passport, you will need to have registered your foreign adoption in Ireland and get a certificate of intercountry adoption. For information on how to do this, please see https://aai.gov.ie/images/PDFs/Updated- ... 2018-7.pdf

However I am getting confused as to what parts of the form need to be filled in as the examples state that her adoption is NOT classed as an intercountry adoption but rather an adoption "other than an intercountry adoption".

I would love some help understanding this and anyone's experiences or help with similar situations.

I am assuming that I will have to complete the form for my mothers adoption to be recognised by completing the proof of habitual residence but you know what they say about assuming! Also if anyone did require this level of detail then how did you manage it as I have no idea how I am going to get proof of my grandparents residence when it was over 50 years ago!

HarleyQ
Newly Registered
Wales

Re: Adopted Parent, Irish Grandparent - Registering Adoption / FBR

Post by HarleyQ » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:56 pm

Reading some posts on here - could someone clarify whether the registering of her adoption is needed and whether she needs to register as a foreign birth? Her adoption was before 1991 as some people have mentioned in other threads.

HarleyQ
Newly Registered
Wales

Re: Adopted Parent, Irish Grandparent - Registering Adoption / FBR

Post by HarleyQ » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:47 pm

Okay so I am going to update where i have gotten to just in case other people find themselves in the same situation. I hope thats okay.

I spoke with the Adoption Authority, the Foreign Birth Register and Passports.

These are the conversations that I had with each one - sorry some of these will relate to being from my mothers perspective as the adopted child and others will relate to it come from my perspective as the granddaughter of an Irish born citizen.

Foreign Birth Register - https://www.dfa.ie/about-us/contact-us/ ... tizenship/
Me: Hi, my mum was adopted in 1960s in the UK by my irish born grandfather whist he resided here and still resides. I am looking at registering on the FBR but i was wondering where it states "original proof of irish citizenship at date of adoption" - what this would be?
FBR: So this would be your parent's adoption order and adoption certificate.
Me: okay perfect, i wasnt sure if this was a separate piece of evidence.
FRB: I hope this information has been helpful, is there anything else I can help you with today?
ME: no thats fine, its just on the check list it already had the original adoption cert and order so it is fine for me to submit that as the proof of irish citizenship at the date of adoption as well?
FBR: As far as I know, that should be it. But if any other documents are required, a member of our team will be in touch with you once your application is reached.

PASSPORT: https://www.dfa.ie/passports/contact/
Mother: I was adopted in 1960s in the UK by my irish born father whilst he resided here and still resides. Do I need to register on the FBR or can I directly apply for a passport?
Passport: Good morning. If your parent was born in Ireland, you dont need to apply for FBR. You can apply for your passport online here https://passportonline.dfa.ie/Apply/Passport
Mother: so do I need to do anything additional as i was adopted in the UK and my adoption forms are UK
Passport: Thats no problem. Documentary requirements for all passport types are detailed here https://www.dfa.ie/passports/documentary-requirements/ click on the heading "Get a first adult passport" and it will list the items required to support an application
Mother: Am I classed as an Irish citizen already?
Passport: Yes, if a parent was born on the island of Ireland before 2005, you are also an Irish citizen and eligible to apply for a passport.
Mother: thank you - one last question, would the adoption need to be recognised by the adoption authority of ireland as the adoption was prior to the adoption act 1991 - or does it just count as if my father is my natural born parent?
Passport: Thats no problem. The instruction on that section of the website states the following : "The adoption certificate by the adoption authority where adoption was effected "

Adoption:
Mother: I am hoping that you are able to help me. I was adopted in 1968 in the UK by my Irish born father whilst he resided here and still resides in the UK. Would my adoption need to be recognised by the adoption authority of Ireland as this was prior to the adoption act 1991.
I have tried searching for what the protocol is for adoptions around this time but I have been unable to find clear answers so it would be very much appreciated if you were able to help

Adoption Authority:
Your e-mail of 16 September 2020 to the Adoption Authority of Ireland refers.

The AAI wishes to inform you that the Department of Justice and Equality, 94 St Stephen's Green, Dublin 2, D02 FD70 , Website www.justice.ie, has responsibility for granting Irish citizenship. The Passport Office, 42-47 Mount Street Lower, Dublin 2, Dublin, D02 TN83, Website www.dfa.ie/passports/ has responsibility for granting Irish passports. Queries in relation to either of these matters should be made to the relevant Department.

The only matter which would be open to the Adoption Authority to consider would be the recognition under Irish law of an adoption. The recognition of an adoption may be required by the relevant Department in considering an application from you for Irish citizenship and an Irish passport and I would suggest that you contact each Department to clarify the position in your case.

Should you wish to apply for the recognition of the adoption under Irish law, you should download the form for making an application in the register of Intercountry Adoptions. https://aai.gov.ie/images/Forms/Applica ... INAL_2.pdf
You should then complete and submit (to the address on our website) the application form to the Adoption Authority of Ireland together with the original documentation which will be returned to you by Registered Post. Finally, the Authority would always recommend that you should seek independent legal advice.

I trust the above is of assistance to you.

It would seem that my mother is eligible to just apply for her passport directly and I can go forward with the foreign birth register and should they request that the adoption needs to be recognised then they will let me know. Due to the ongoing COVID limitations then first time applicants are able to apply online - you just select "no" when asked the question about whether your most recent passport was less than 15 years ago.

If it is allowed then I can continue to update my progress with both my mothers passport and my FBR / Passport process as an adopted abroad child to an irish born parent and grandchild of an irish born parent.