ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

BoyTed
Somalia

Re: Citizenship Ceremony cancelled due to Covid-19

Post by BoyTed » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:13 pm

VulgarisMagistralis wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:34 pm
BoyTed wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:02 am
Hi Ariskar,
You are right it's frustrating and only thing to do is being patient as you said.
I've contacted the council several times using this email
RegisterOffice[at]lbhf.gov.uk and they reply promptly.
Goodluck to all of us waiting.
ariskar wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:57 pm
BoyTed wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:25 am

HI Maria,

Iam with H&F and got my approval 2nd of July,2020 decision 29th June,2020 and got nothing ive sent email to council friday unfortunately no certificate received.
Hello BoyTed, thank you for your update. My spouse also waiting ceremony invitation with H&F Council, with approval date 2 June 2020 (email & letter received 10 days later), ceremony invitation letter pending. Which contact email address did you use to get in touch with them?

Thanks.
Hi everyone, I'm waiting for a certificate in H&F as well, I got an approval email back in August.

I asked about the certificates backlog in the council using the same email address. They are indeed conducting ceremonies, but all I got back is that the Home Office is "slightly behind" schedule. No more details about it. They do search for one's name if you ask about it though. I assume something could be arranged as long as they get the certificate, even though we don't have invitations. This is conjecture, though, I just find it funny that they would search for a certificate even when I tell them I don't have the invitation yet.

Anyway, good luck and let us know when it happens!
Hi there,
H&F are very co-operative and told me they can book me once they have my certificate having said that they lack behind in technology ie virtual ceremony.
Today ive emailed complaint at home office let's see how that works out.
I have a funny feeling HO are playing a game and not serious in regards to sending out our certificates and we don't have a choice but to be patient.

Wastson
Newly Registered
Mood:
Eritrea

Post by Wastson » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:20 am

"I have a funny feeling HO are playing a game" I agree. What is so hard about printing and sending a letter and a certificate? I wonder if the aim here is to lower the number of citizenships granted so it looks good on immigration statistics and the books of the current HO management. It appears that for some it's an achievement if they manage to lower immigration. 2020 Q1: 29,122 Grants of British citizenship compared to 2020 Q2: 12,275 (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ables.xlsx)

Cocobana
United Kingdom

Post by Cocobana » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:56 am

I don’t think HO is playing any games. You have to understand like any other government establishment there is a lot of bureaucracy going on. For all we know it may just be two people employed on part time to send out letters and with social distance rules it could be they go into the office once or twice a week. And they could also have other jobs as well.
A lot Of you on here work for private establishment and can’t understand why things are so slow with government.
I think the whole citizenship ceremony process needs to be overhauled but if it does it could mean job and income losses for HO.
So everyone please be patient. It will happen eventually 😉

Maria2020
Newly Registered
Mood:
Argentina

Post by Maria2020 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:51 am

VulgarisMagistralis wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:34 pm
BoyTed wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:02 am
Hi Ariskar,
You are right it's frustrating and only thing to do is being patient as you said.
I've contacted the council several times using this email
RegisterOffice[at]lbhf.gov.uk and they reply promptly.
Goodluck to all of us waiting.

HI Maria,

Iam with H&F and got my approval 2nd of July,2020 decision 29th June,2020 and got nothing ive sent email to council friday unfortunately no certificate received.
Hello BoyTed, thank you for your update. My spouse also waiting ceremony invitation with H&F Council, with approval date 2 June 2020 (email & letter received 10 days later), ceremony invitation letter pending. Which contact email address did you use to get in touch with them?

Thanks.
[/quote]

Hi everyone, I'm waiting for a certificate in H&F as well, I got an approval email back in August.

I asked about the certificates backlog in the council using the same email address. They are indeed conducting ceremonies, but all I got back is that the Home Office is "slightly behind" schedule. No more details about it. They do search for one's name if you ask about it though. I assume something could be arranged as long as they get the certificate, even though we don't have invitations. This is conjecture, though, I just find it funny that they would search for a certificate even when I tell them I don't have the invitation yet.

Anyway, good luck and let us know when it happens!
[/quote]

Hi Ariskar and Boyted

I have also contacted H&F Registrar Office as advised by Boyted a couple of weeks ago, they replied saying that they haven't received my certificate from the HomeOffice, and I could only book a ceremony when I receive my invitation letter. Very Frustrating.

FreshFromTheGrave
Mood:
South Africa

Post by FreshFromTheGrave » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:08 pm

Well I got a very useful reply from Brent council now, they confirmed they don't have my certificate yet and said that the HO has been very intermittent in sending certificates to them. They've tried to get more information from them regarding timelines, but haven't received any response either.

Learning18
United Kingdom

Post by Learning18 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:45 pm

FreshFromTheGrave wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:08 pm
Well I got a very useful reply from Brent council now, they confirmed they don't have my certificate yet and said that the HO has been very intermittent in sending certificates to them. They've tried to get more information from them regarding timelines, but haven't received any response either.
Hi,

How did you get through to Brent?. The only form of contact is via phone and the line is closed for today due to training.

Anatol
Newly Registered
Romania

Post by Anatol » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:18 pm

Wastson wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:20 am
"I have a funny feeling HO are playing a game" I agree. What is so hard about printing and sending a letter and a certificate? I wonder if the aim here is to lower the number of citizenships granted so it looks good on immigration statistics and the books of the current HO management. It appears that for some it's an achievement if they manage to lower immigration. 2020 Q1: 29,122 Grants of British citizenship compared to 2020 Q2: 12,275 (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ables.xlsx)
This is a very good point! Gov promised to cut migration, immigration etc, so this may explain out huge delay. Similar to USA where naturalisation is put on hold before elections so the "new" citizens will have to skip the upcoming election.

baybars1
United Kingdom

Post by baybars1 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:28 pm

Anatol wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:18 pm
Wastson wrote:
This is a very good point! Gov promised to cut migration, immigration etc, so this may explain out huge delay. Similar to USA where naturalisation is put on hold before elections so the "new" citizens will have to skip the upcoming election.
Well, unlike the US, the UK is not facing an election before 2024. I hope you are not suggesting that they will delay ceremonies until 2025! Besides, delaying citizenship ceremonies does not really reduce the number of immigrants in and of itself because people awaiting ceremonies are already permanent residents in the UK.

VulgarisMagistralis
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by VulgarisMagistralis » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:31 pm

Anatol wrote:
Wastson wrote:
I don't think that makes sense. It's tinfoil hat material.

Raihanul
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Raihanul » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:33 pm

Hi folks, I emailed HO on 4th of August asking for an update and I got "that" automated reply like ya all. Yey ! They replied after 1 month :oops: :cry:

Here's the email. It came at 6:39 PM 15th.

Good evening,

Thank you for your email.

Upon investigation I can confirm that your citizenship ceremony documents have not yet been printed or despatched to the local authority. Your citizenship paperwork will be generated in coming weeks when current restrictions due to Coronavirus are eased.

In normal circumstances customers were required to book their citizenship ceremony within three months of being sent an invitation from the Home Office. Due to the current circumstances we have extended this period to six months. We will keep this under constant review. Please be assured that no adverse decisions will be made on your application because of delays caused by Coronavirus (unless there is a material change in your circumstances, for example, you are convicted of a criminal offence).

Kind regards,

xxxxxx

CCST - Nationality Group

I want a human reply :cry: The only thing they changed in the email is "good evening" lol

Raihanul
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Raihanul » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:36 pm

baybars1 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:28 pm
Anatol wrote:
Wastson wrote:
Well, unlike the US, the UK is not facing an election before 2024. I hope you are not suggesting that they will delay ceremonies until 2025! Besides, delaying citizenship ceremonies does not really reduce the number of immigrants in and of itself because people awaiting ceremonies are already permanent residents in the UK.
Yes indeed. We can still vote xd.

apostrophe
Newly Registered
Poland

Post by apostrophe » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:38 pm

Raihanul wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:33 pm
Hi folks, I emailed HO on 4th of August asking for an update and I got "that" automated reply like ya all. Yey ! They replied after 1 month :oops: :cry:

Good evening,

Upon investigation I can confirm that your citizenship ceremony documents have not yet been printed or despatched to the local authority. Your citizenship paperwork will be generated in coming weeks when current restrictions due to Coronavirus are eased.

In normal circumstances customers were required to book their citizenship ceremony within three months of being sent an invitation from the Home Office. Due to the current circumstances we have extended this period to six months. We will keep this under constant review. Please be assured that no adverse decisions will be made on your application because of delays caused by Coronavirus (unless there is a material change in your circumstances, for example, you are convicted of a criminal offence).

Kind regards,

xxxxxxx

CCST - Nationality Group

I want a human reply :cry: The only thing they changed in the email is "good evening" lol
Well, at least you got a reply, I emailed HO using two email addresses 8 weeks ago and they didn't even deign to send an automated response.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:39 pm

Raihanul wrote:

Good evening,

Kind regards,

xxxxxx

CCST - Nationality Group

Do NOT post the names of UKVI staff on the forum. They have not given you permission to post their personal details on a public internet page!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

FreshFromTheGrave
Mood:
South Africa

Post by FreshFromTheGrave » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:57 pm

Learning18 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:45 pm
Hi,

How did you get through to Brent?. The only form of contact is via phone and the line is closed for today due to training.
I used the general online contact form on the website and selected Nationality Services as the topic. This lets you send an email to the nationality team, they take a good few days to reply but they do seem to reliably reply. My first email they kind of tried to fob me off to the HO but I persisted and they gave me the information I was looking for :)

Raihanul
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Raihanul » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:02 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:39 pm
Raihanul wrote:

Good evening,

Kind regards,

xxxxxx

CCST - Nationality Group

Do NOT post the names of UKVI staff on the forum. They have not given you permission to post their personal details on a public internet page!!
That's my fault. Didn't notice it. Thank you for clarifying.

Fbiboy2002
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Fbiboy2002 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:12 pm

Hi all just to let you know that Today I became British citizen thank you all for all of your help I wish those who are still waiting for time to go quick and have yours very soon

Thank you x

Learning18
United Kingdom

Post by Learning18 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:44 pm

FreshFromTheGrave wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:57 pm
Learning18 wrote:
Hi,

I used the general online contact form on the website and selected Nationality Services as the topic. This lets you send an email to the nationality team, they take a good few days to reply but they do seem to reliably reply. My first email they kind of tried to fob me off to the HO but I persisted and they gave me the information I was looking for :)

Thank you so much. I didn't know this. Just found the form and sent it. Hopefully they reply :D

smthsmth
Newly Registered
Turkey

Post by smthsmth » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:06 pm

Raihanul wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:30 pm
smthsmth wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:26 pm
First of all, good luck to everyone going through this process and I hope all of you will get your citizenship soon. I was finally able to attend a virtual ceremony this morning and I'd like to share my timelines with you.

Online application: 15/02/2020
Biometrics submitted: 25/02/2020
Approval email: 19/05/2020
Ceremony invitation from HO: 01/08/2020 - The date on letter 18/03/2020

Tried to reach to my council since then to book ceremony with no luck until yesterday when they finally called me to book in for virtual ceremony today to which I attended and was told I'm British now and will receive my certificate via Royal Mail special delivery in the next few days.

According to my invitation letter, my 6 months deadline was due to expire this Friday. So, almost a last minute goal ... :)

Now off to last step of this journey for getting the passport which won't be easy either I guess :)
Hi, Can you clarify. I thought the council should have your certificate and you get it in the day of the ceremony. You mean your council did ceremony without actually getting anything from the HO. Did they give you any sort of paperwork or confirmation.
Council had my certificate, but of course since the ceremony was conducted virtually online using a video calling app, they said they will send me my certificate by post in the next few days.

VulgarisMagistralis
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by VulgarisMagistralis » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:06 pm

Raihanul wrote:

Good evening,
(...)

CCST - Nationality Group

I think that "good evening" is also automated. :mrgreen: :cry:

TheTraveller
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by TheTraveller » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:34 pm

Learning18 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:44 pm
FreshFromTheGrave wrote:
Learning18 wrote:
Hi,

Thank you so much. I didn't know this. Just found the form and sent it. Hopefully they reply :D

Could you please copy/paste the form web address? Thanks buddy 🤟

Learning18
United Kingdom

Post by Learning18 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:36 pm

TheTraveller wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:34 pm
Learning18 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:44 pm
FreshFromTheGrave wrote:
Learning18 wrote:
Hi,

Could you please copy/paste the form web address? Thanks buddy 🤟
Hi,

This is page below.

https://www.brent.gov.uk/firmstep/forms/contact-us/

gbalague123
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by gbalague123 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:51 pm

Gioldn wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:30 pm
Im Wandsworth too.. approved beginning of August .. so I will have my ceremony in 2021? Please if you could post it once you receive the invitation letter...thanks
gbalague123 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:26 pm
Wandsworth council here
Approved in May.
No Ceremony invitation yet
I sent an email. This was their answer :

Dear xxxx,

You are not on our database at present, but you will be added to our system in due course once we receive your certificate from the Home Office.

Please note that we are currently booking ceremonies for people who received their invitation letters before lockdown, so it may be a little while before we can schedule a ceremony for you.

Please contact again us in a few weeks’ time when hopefully we will have your certificate and have cleared the backlog.

Your patience is much appreciated.
Well....you never know....some people have got their certificates in August printed before the May ones....so you may be lucky....the fact that they say in the email contact us on few weeks time, give me some hope this is getting closer....🤞🏻

Tirinti
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Tirinti » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:32 pm

gbalague123 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:51 pm
Well....you never know....some people have got their certificates in August printed before the May ones....so you may be lucky....the fact that they say in the email contact us on few weeks time, give me some hope this is getting closer....🤞🏻
Contact us in a few weeks, it will be sorted by the end of October, it will be sorted in 8-12 weeks from August 7th... I'm not so sure. It is the same story with covid tests and with Crossrail delays. I won't be surprised if at the end of October they give another deadline like the end of the year, and then another deadline. Some councils didn't have ceremonies for almost half a year and now doing them in reduced capacity. they might catch up a bit as there were fewer decisions caused by suspended English and Live in UK tests and biometrics, but then they will have another massive wave of approvals from August. If HO wants to clear the backlog they need extra capacity at least for a month or two.

baybars1
United Kingdom

Post by baybars1 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:40 pm

Tirinti wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:32 pm
gbalague123 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:51 pm
Contact us in a few weeks, it will be sorted by the end of October, it will be sorted in 8-12 weeks from August 7th... I'm not so sure. It is the same story with covid tests and with Crossrail delays. I won't be surprised if at the end of October they give another deadline like the end of the year, and then another deadline. Some councils didn't have ceremonies for almost half a year and now doing them in reduced capacity. they might catch up a bit as there were fewer decisions caused by suspended English and Live in UK tests and biometrics, but then they will have another massive wave of approvals from August. If HO wants to clear the backlog they need extra capacity at least for a month or two.
On the bright side, the Home Office have touted end-of-October deadline to enough people to imply a commitment. Now, if there is no movement on the issue by then, the applicants could start holding the Home Office to their word by way of complaining and maybe, just maybe, they will try to accelerate things.

Wahidwadid
United Kingdom

Post by Wahidwadid » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:19 pm

Hi guys, Is there anyone waiting for ceremony letter from Manchester council,Plz let me know if you get an update from them, I m not getting any news, I am waiting since may, And asking them when they gonna receive the 2nd batch of certificate coz my certificate was not in the 1st batch and they confirmed me that they have clear all the certificate what they receive last 3 weeks ago but why HO not sending in weeky basis they've no idea,Thanks.