ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa fees in USD? Fees slightly more than expected

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

couchsurfer
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Spouse Visa Family Visa difference ?

Post by couchsurfer » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:12 pm

Hi,

I am a bit confused about the two visas and which is better for my wife to apply for.

We have been married for nearly 2 years now but have been apart since last September, lived together in Brazil for 2 years before then.

I was wondering if there’s a way for her to apply for the spouse visa but do it from the UK so we can at least be together during the wait. She is a planning a visit very soon. I have a job here in the UK and nearly 7 months worth of payslips and sufficient savings.

Can she apply for a family visa and convert to the spouse one ? What’s fastest basically and ideally us not being apart

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Spouse Visa Family Visa difference ?

Post by CR001 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:28 pm

I was wondering if there’s a way for her to apply for the spouse visa but do it from the UK so we can at least be together during the wait. She is a planning a visit very soon.
No there is not.
Can she apply for a family visa and convert to the spouse one ? What’s fastest basically and ideally us not being apart
No, she cannot switch to any other visa while in the UK as a visitor visa holder.

She must apply for a spouse visa from her home country. There is no shortcut route.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

couchsurfer
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by couchsurfer » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:46 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:28 pm
I was wondering if there’s a way for her to apply for the spouse visa but do it from the UK so we can at least be together during the wait. She is a planning a visit very soon.
No there is not.
No, she cannot switch to any other visa while in the UK as a visitor visa holder.

Thanks for the reply. That is what I was thinking .

The Family Visa is what is confusing me as what is exactly the difference (compared to spouse) As it seems to suggest she can apply for that now (outside of UK), come here as a tourist for 6 months, then get an answer then apply for the spouse one ?

Maybe I am reading wrong !

TODMATT
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by TODMATT » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:59 pm

couchsurfer wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:46 pm
CR001 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:28 pm
No there is not.

Thanks for the reply. That is what I was thinking .

The Family Visa is what is confusing me as what is exactly the difference (compared to spouse) As it seems to suggest she can apply for that now (outside of UK), come here as a tourist for 6 months, then get an answer then apply for the spouse one ?

Maybe I am reading wrong !

In order to qualify for an entry clearance application such as spouse visa

Tourist visa is NOT family visa however, you can apply for a fiancée visa which is granted for 6 months in order for you get married in the UK then switch to a spouse visa.

You CANNOT switch to spouse visa within the UK on tourist visa because

Appendix FM

Immigration status requirements

E-LTRP.2.1.

"The applicant must not be in the UK-
(a) as a visitor;

or
(b) with valid leave granted for a period of 6 months or less, unless that leave is as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner, or was granted pending the outcome of family court or divorce proceedings"

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... ly-members

In order to qualify for an entry clearance application then you must apply from abroad either as a partner or as a fiancée and must the requirements.
My opinions should not be constituted as an immigration or legal advice.

TODMATT
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by TODMATT » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:59 pm

Tourist visa is NOT a family visa however, you can apply for a fiancée visa which is granted for 6 months in order for you get married in the UK then switch to a spouse visa.

Appendix FM

E-LTRP.2.1.

(a) as a visitor;

or
(b) with valid leave granted for a period of 6 months or less, unless that leave is as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner, or was granted pending the outcome of family court or divorce proceedings"

In order to qualify for an entry clearance application then you must apply from abroad either as a partner or as a fiancée and must the requirements.
My opinions should not be constituted as an immigration or legal advice.

couchsurfer
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Visa application centre closures- Brasil

Post by couchsurfer » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:19 pm

Hi all,

Quick question about Visa Application Centres, the one where my wife intends to attend after we submit is now closed and unlikely to reopen any time soon.

Has there been any guidance about whether in these circumstances people can change to a centre that’s open in a different country? To submit documents and get the biometrics etc

She’s hopefully coming here soon and we were wondering if there’s a chance to attend here, although I guess she still has to submit from Brazil

couchsurfer
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by couchsurfer » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:23 pm

TODMATT wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:59 pm
Tourist visa is NOT a family visa however, you can apply for a fiancée visa which is granted for 6 months in order for you get married in the UK then switch to a spouse visa.

Appendix FM

E-LTRP.2.1.

(a) as a visitor;

or

Thanks for clearing that up, I understand it more now.

Is there something that would stop her submitting from outside Brasil ? Say she was in France could she not submit from there ?

It’s complicated applying from Brasil right now as all the visa application centres are closed. So we were hoping there would be away to do it outside of Brasil.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Visa application centre closures- Brasil

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:35 pm

She cannot do any of the formalities in the UK. She must do them from her home country or a country she has legal residence, i.e. not a visitor.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:36 pm

couchsurfer wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:23 pm
TODMATT wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:59 pm

Appendix FM

E-LTRP.2.1.

(a) as a visitor;

or

Thanks for clearing that up, I understand it more now.

Is there something that would stop her submitting from outside Brasil ? Say she was in France could she not submit from there ?

It’s complicated applying from Brasil right now as all the visa application centres are closed. So we were hoping there would be away to do it outside of Brasil.
Topics merged. Please do not start multiple topics on the same application.

She cannot do anything in a country where she is a visitor. She must apply and do the formalities in her home country or a country where she has legal residence, i.e not a visitor.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

couchsurfer
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by couchsurfer » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:32 pm

Ok thanks and noted re multiple topics.

Are there other ways of submitting documents or has it got to be at these centres ? I guess for biometric purposes it has to be

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:01 pm

couchsurfer wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:32 pm

Are there other ways of submitting documents or has it got to be at these centres ? I guess for biometric purposes it has to be
You have to upload your documents to UKCVAS. You cannot post documents to HO.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

couchsurfer
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by couchsurfer » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:51 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:01 pm
couchsurfer wrote:

Thanks for letting me know.

I am finding the uploading of documents confusing. So in terms of the application we need to:

-Upload payslips, bank statements, letters etc etc online to UKCVAS when my wife goes to submit and pay? At the biometric centre in Brazil she's just providing her Passport, receipt of payment and biometrics?

I can't seem to understand in my head how this application process works. We upload everything online & pay get a date for biometrics and bring all the documents as originals then wait up to 3 months for a decision?

Any replies would be very helpful!

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:18 pm

couchsurfer wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:51 pm
CR001 wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:01 pm
couchsurfer wrote:

Thanks for letting me know.

I am finding the uploading of documents confusing. So in terms of the application we need to:

-Upload payslips, bank statements, letters etc etc online to UKCVAS when my wife goes to submit and pay? At the biometric centre in Brazil she's just providing her Passport, receipt of payment and biometrics?

I can't seem to understand in my head how this application process works. We upload everything online & pay get a date for biometrics and bring all the documents as originals then wait up to 3 months for a decision?

Any replies would be very helpful!
You get all the required documents in place, make your application online, Upload documents (either self upload i.e. you scan all required documents and upload them on the website you will be directed to if you choose self upload option or you choose the option of uploading at VAC appointment which you will have to pay for during your biometric appointment), pay and submit online application, checklist of applicants passport and other documents to provide and or take to biometrics appointment will be generated at some point, check for and book appointment at VAC, attend biometrics appointment at VAC. Then wait for decision to be made.

couchsurfer
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by couchsurfer » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:51 pm

Thanks that’s really helpful, seems a bit clearer now.

Re original documents, I am assuming electronic signatures are accepted given current circumstances ?

Thanks

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:06 pm

couchsurfer wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:51 pm
Thanks that’s really helpful, seems a bit clearer now.

Re original documents, I am assuming electronic signatures are accepted given current circumstances ?

Thanks
It should not be, even pre-covid-19 electronic signature was accepted.

couchsurfer
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Bank account missing part of middle name

Post by couchsurfer » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:44 pm

Hi,

Quick question re UK Spouse visa application.

I have two middle names and for whatever reason on all communication from my bank and on my bank cards my second middle name is missing.

Is that likely to cause any problems with the application?

For example my passport is: ''John Smith Jackson Thomas' and my Bank statements all say 'John Smith Thomas'

On the application form which we have started there is a box which asks 'what is the name of the account holder' and I have written 'John Smith Thomas' as that is what appears on all bank documentation.

I just wanted to check if this is likely a problem or if anyone has previous experience. My first and surnames are all correct and present on all documentation.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Bank account missing part of middle name

Post by seagul » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:55 pm

couchsurfer wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:44 pm
Hi,

Quick question re UK Spouse visa application.

I have two middle names and for whatever reason on all communication from my bank and on my bank cards my second middle name is missing.

Is that likely to cause any problems with the application?

For example my passport is: ''John Smith Jackson Thomas' and my Bank statements all say 'John Smith Thomas'

On the application form which we have started there is a box which asks 'what is the name of the account holder' and I have written 'John Smith Thomas' as that is what appears on all bank documentation.

I just wanted to check if this is likely a problem or if anyone has previous experience. My first and surnames are all correct and present on all documentation.
There won't be any issue at all because many banks even skip all middle names rather only use initial of first name along with full surname, for example "Mr. J Thomas"
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

couchsurfer
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Spouse visa fees in USD? Fees slightly more than expected

Post by couchsurfer » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:12 am

Hi,

My wife has just submitted and paid for her UK Spouse Visa application, 2.5 years in length, fee on the website of around £1523 or around that plus NHS surcharge of £1200.

When she went to pay the figure was displayed in USD for both fees. Is this normal? We tried to go back to check all looked fine but it never changed to GBP. I guess this is just how it is displayed.

Furthermore, when I went to check the exchange rate to GBP and what was displayed on my bank statement it came up as about £100 more than as advertised for the visa fee. The nhs surcharge was about £70 more.

We are quite worried we have done something wrong. I went back through the PDF version of the application and can't see any issues with that, she clicked to apply outside UK at the beginning.

It says at top of PDF:

'TYPE OF VISA / APPLICATION: Apply to enter the UK as a partner
SERVICE OPTION: Standard
TOTAL FEE: 2087.00 USD'

Would really appreciate any advice to settle the nerves.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Spouse visa fees in USD? Fees slightly more than expected

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:15 am

When she went to pay the figure was displayed in USD for both fees. Is this normal? We tried to go back to check all looked fine but it never changed to GBP. I guess this is just how it is displayed.
Yes it is normal for certain countries.
Furthermore, when I went to check the exchange rate to GBP and what was displayed on my bank statement it came up as about £100 more than as advertised for the visa fee. The nhs surcharge was about £70 more.
UKVI use oanda.com and usually a set a date at the beginning of the month or so. It is not converted at the current daily exchange rate.
That appears to only be the visa fee and not the IHS included.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

couchsurfer
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Spouse visa fees in USD? Fees slightly more than expected

Post by couchsurfer » Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:23 am

CR001 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:15 am
Yes it is normal for certain countries.
UKVI use oanda.com and usually a set a date at the beginning of the month or so. It is not converted at the current daily exchange rate.
That appears to only be the visa fee and not the IHS included.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, really appreciated.

Good to know re the USD.

I have just checked this OANDA website for the figure of 2087 USD for the beginning of the month and it comes up as like £1560 which makes more sense now. It just confused us about re how the process works.

I've also found this website which explains the fee costs and it comes to the figure in USD above
https://visa-fees.homeoffice.gov.uk/