ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is it possible to naturalise in their right under s6(1) rather than s6(2)?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Dier
Newly Registered
South Africa

Is it possible to naturalise in their right under s6(1) rather than s6(2)?

Post by Dier » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:37 am

Asking on behalf of a friend.

Is it possible for a EU citizen married to a British citizen to naturalise as British under s6(1) in their own right if they meet the requirements rather than s6(2)?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Is it possible to naturalise in their right under s6(1) rather than s6(2)?

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:52 am

Yes - no issue - done it myself (at the time didn't know about the distinction....).
You will still be asked whether you are married and if so state details of spouse.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:57 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:01 pm

Just wondered - checked my Certificate and it states 6.2 - I did supply everything required for 6.1!
It won't matter though once you are British.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Dier
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Dier » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:28 pm

Thanks for you quick replies Alterhase58&Vinny.

(1) So is it only when you have exceeded the maximum permissible number of absences which is no more than 270 days in last 3years that you are only able to naturalise under s6(1)?

(2) Can you choose to naturalise under s6(1) even if you’ve not exceeded the number of absences (270days) In last 3 years?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:15 pm

If you will input your spouse nationality in the form, the form will automatically assume that you are applying under Section 6(2) and generate the checklist accordingly.
Make sure you write a cover letter and explain this. And clearly mention that you want to be considered under Section 6(1) instead.
Both sections have different residence and documentary evidence requirements.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:19 pm

Dier wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:28 pm
Thanks for you quick replies Alterhase58&Vinny.

(1) So is it only when you have exceeded the maximum permissible number of absences which is no more than 270 days in last 3years that you are only able to naturalise under s6(1)?

(2) Can you choose to naturalise under s6(1) even if you’ve not exceeded the number of absences (270days) In last 3 years?
Section 6(1) : You will need to prove 5 years of residence. Not more than 450 days outside UK in last 5 years. Not more than 90 days outside UK in last 1 year. Physically present in UK at the start of the qualifying period.

Section 6(2) : You will need to prove 3 years of residence. Not more than 270 days outside UK in the last 3 years. Not more than 90 days outside UK in the last 1 year. Physically present in UK at the start of the qualifying period.

For Section 6(2) you will meed marriage certificate and spouse British passport copy.

Date of application is the date you pay and submit. Calculate your eligibility accordingly and choose which section you want to go for.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

Dier
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Dier » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:37 pm

Thank you Cullinan.

Could the forum pros(Cr001&Secret.simon) help figure this out please?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:52 pm

Dier wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:37 pm
Thank you Cullinan.

Could the forum pros(Cr001&Secret.simon) help figure this out please?
You have already been given the relevant information and moderator vinny provided a link, copied below again. Unclear what else you are looking for.
vinny wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:57 am
Possible.
It makes no difference which section you apply under as they both end with the same thing.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Dier
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Dier » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:07 pm

I’ve read vinny’s link and I already know it’s possible to naturalise under s6(1) if you‘ve exceeded the maximum permissible no. of absences (270days) in last 3years under s6(2). Obviously I clearly asked further question above- if you can choose to naturalise under s6(1) even if you’ve not exceeded the number of absences (270days) in last 3years under s6(2) as its unclear if you can in the Naturalisation guidance.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:29 pm

I don’t think that there is anything to stop you, if you satisfy the relevant requirements of whichever sub-section you choose.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Dier
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Dier » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:59 am

Thanks again Vinny. Much appreciated