ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Reporting spent / archived fines from home country on my application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ksumsar123
Newly Registered
Estonia

EHIC Card as proof of CSI for citizenship application

Post by ksumsar123 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:34 am

So I've been in the UK for total of 7 years now.
Sep 2013- May 2018 I was a Master's student.
During my studies, I also had a part-time from Oct 2015 to Feb 2018.
Since Sep 2018 I've been in full-time employment in UK.

I obtained settled status in August 2019 and in September 2020 started applying for my citizenship.

I did not pay much attention to the CSI requirement until now. I've checked that I did indeed have an EHIC card, however it expired on 30/11/2017 and I was too focused on my final year uni exams to renew it. Does this mean that this gap from 30/11/2017 to Sep 2018 when I got my job could be used to decline my application?

Any advice would be appreciated.

dogcat
United Kingdom

Re: EHIC Card as proof of CSI for citizenship application

Post by dogcat » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:13 am

Its not so much the card as such that matters.
Just get you local authorities to send you a 'certificate' / note which confirms that you were insured back in your country of origin.

Jaro83
Newly Registered
Hungary

Post by Jaro83 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:40 am

I am really sorry for getting into your topic, but I always thought that even if you got part time job, and not a full time you still exercising treaty rights as a worker and do not need CSI for that period of time. Correct me if i am wrong.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:57 pm

Jaro83 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:40 am
I am really sorry for getting into your topic, but I always thought that even if you got part time job, and not a full time you still exercising treaty rights as a worker and do not need CSI for that period of time. Correct me if i am wrong.
You should read the original post - OP was asking about his study time, not his part-time employment.
If you were working part or full time you were not required to have CSI.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:04 pm

ksumsar123 wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:34 am
So I've been in the UK for total of 7 years now.
Sep 2013- May 2018 I was a Master's student.
During my studies, I also had a part-time from Oct 2015 to Feb 2018.
Since Sep 2018 I've been in full-time employment in UK.

I obtained settled status in August 2019 and in September 2020 started applying for my citizenship.

I did not pay much attention to the CSI requirement until now. I've checked that I did indeed have an EHIC card, however it expired on 30/11/2017 and I was too focused on my final year uni exams to renew it. Does this mean that this gap from 30/11/2017 to Sep 2018 when I got my job could be used to decline my application?

Any advice would be appreciated.
When it comes to inputting your application you will likely be asked about CSI. Clearly you didn't have CSI so you need to explain why not, and mention your EHIC card (though it is not comprehensive cover) and any other medical cover information you may have. We have yet to see reports here of applicants being rejected due to lack of CSI. But there have been approvals for applicants without CSI.
Review this thread: british-citizenship/csi-and-settle-stat ... 01196.html
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

ksumsar123
Newly Registered
Estonia

Post by ksumsar123 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:05 pm

Many thanks on all replies - I will simply then take the (hopefully small) risk and submit my application and include my explanation on this as part of the application.

ksumsar123
Newly Registered
Estonia

Permanent Residence Card Necessary As Settled EEA?

Post by ksumsar123 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:58 am

Today I was just about the submit my UK citizenship application as an EEA national and was double-checking all the requirements.

I saw the following line in the list of documents:

"You must have a permanent residence card before you can apply for citizenship.

So I have the PDF document confirming my Settled Status from over a year ago, does it still mean I need to apply for the permanent residence card?

Furthermore it's confusing, because their website says that the residence cards will become obsolete after 2020, so what's the point of going through the paperwork for a document which will be effective for less than 3 months.

Hansi89
Mood:
Sri Lanka

Re: Permanent Residence Card Necessary As Settled EEA?

Post by Hansi89 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:28 am

ksumsar123 wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:58 am
Today I was just about the submit my UK citizenship application as an EEA national and was double-checking all the requirements.

I saw the following line in the list of documents:

"You must have a permanent residence card before you can apply for citizenship.

So I have the PDF document confirming my Settled Status from over a year ago, does it still mean I need to apply for the permanent residence card?

Furthermore it's confusing, because their website says that the residence cards will become obsolete after 2020, so what's the point of going through the paperwork for a document which will be effective for less than 3 months.
no you don't need to apply for a permanent resident card as you have already found out it will be obsolete after 2020. settled status is basically the new permanent resident status.

copied from https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-ci ... 2774a8dfb8
Settled status
You’ll usually get settled status if you’ve:

started living in the UK by 31 December 2020
lived in the UK for a continuous 5-year period (known as ‘continuous residence’)
Five years’ continuous residence means that for 5 years in a row you’ve been in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for at least 6 months in any 12 month period. The exceptions are:

one period of up to 12 months for an important reason (for example, childbirth, serious illness, study, vocational training or an overseas work posting)
compulsory military service of any length
time you spent abroad as a Crown servant, or as the family member of a Crown servant
time you spent abroad in the armed forces, or as the family member of someone in the armed forces
You can stay in the UK as long as you like if you get settled status. You’ll also be able to apply for British citizenship if you’re eligible.

dogcat
United Kingdom

Re: Permanent Residence Card Necessary As Settled EEA?

Post by dogcat » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:34 am

No.

I don't remember the exact wording but the form does ask you something along the lines of : '' what will you use to apply for British citizenship?''
The answer to which would be - ''Indefinite leave to remain (ILR), including ILR granted under the EU Settlement Scheme'' .
Then it asks you when the leave was granted.

ksumsar123
Newly Registered
Estonia

Reporting spent / archived fines from home country on my application

Post by ksumsar123 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:50 am

As part of preparation for sending through my citizenship application, I sent a request of retrieval for my criminal/civil records transcript from my home country Estonia (e.g. records sheet in UK). I am certain I have no records from UK so no point to worry about that.

The first one I requested just said "The person has no charges in force". That's translated from Estonian.
However, this report did not include archived/spent charges as default.

After that, I requested the report again with archived fines included - it still said the same line e.g. "no charges in force", however it gave the following line items.

2018 - 200 EUR fine - I received it because I was late submitting my military conscription exemption documents. Because I was late, they invited to report to the conscription centre but I was still in the UK at the time so naturally I didn't go as I also had uni exams at this time. Note: this fine ranges from 40 to 300 EUR, it's not fixed. I had to go to the conscription office to give my statement on why I didn't go before they finalised the fine. This one is more than 1 year ago so it is spent under Estonian legislation. Do I still need to report it on my citizenship application and what would I report it as?

2012 - 20 EUR fine for jaywalking, fixed fine, do I need to report this as well?

ksumsar123
Newly Registered
Estonia

Re: Reporting spent / archived fines from home country on my application

Post by ksumsar123 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:03 am

I should also note that jaywalking and conscription are thankfully not even a thing in the UK, so even if I report it should not count against my application I hope.