ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change in home address

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

saadarshad
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Change in home address

Post by saadarshad » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:04 am

Hello,

I recently received the CoS from my employer and have made a Tier 2(General - switching from Tier 4) visa application. My housing contract is coming to an end and I will be staying at my friends place before I can get a new contract which will probably be after I receive my Tier 2 visa (my current visa expires in October).

My home address on CoS and visa application is the one where I am moving out from and will not have a permanent housing contract until my Tier-2 visa arrives (hopefully). My question is whether I need to worry about the address on my CoS and visa application now that it is submitted? If so, what do I need to do in such case?

Thanks

lolo2
Venezuela

Re: Change in home address

Post by lolo2 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:55 pm

According to what you are saying, you will stay in your current address until your BRP arrives, is that right? In that case you don't need to worry about it yet.

After you receive your BRP and move in to your new place, you need to fill a change of circumstances form (change of address) notifying the HO that you've changed your address. You can be fined if you fail to do so.

I think that we do not have to move out while we are waiting for a BRP, unless it's for a very serious reason or an unavoidable situation. After we get the BRP card in hand, we are free to go.

Hope it helps!

saadarshad
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by saadarshad » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:03 pm

Thank you for your reply! I am moving out in a next couple days and have recently applied for my visa and due to the whole covid situation I am not sure how long is the application going to take. I will not have a permanent address once I move out as I mentioned I will be staying at a friends and can not get a long term housing contract until my visa application is accepted.

All in all, I will be moving out before the BRP/visa arrives and won’t have a home address (as it will be my friends address where I will be staying temporarily). Also, I am using my work address as my postal address so receiving anything by post shouldn’t be a problem. Do I need to inform the home office that I am moving out of the address which I have used on my application? If so, will I be able to use my friends address as my current home address when I move in with him?

srsw

Post by srsw » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:15 pm

Best to report the change via this process as I remember the form asking when I moved out/moved in to new address.

Even if you move out of your friend's house after getting new BRP, your date on this form will be 4 to 6+ months out of date, so there's a potential for incurring fine for not reporting the change sooner.

You'd have to inform utility companies to cancel your contracts & update address on your banking services & electoral register, etc. Best to keep everything accurate as these things come and bite in the back if not managed properly (e.g. your credit score)

https://www.gov.uk/change-circumstances-visa-brp
My advice is based on personal research/experience, so pls check relevant UKVI sources.

saadarshad
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by saadarshad » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:56 am

Thanks for your reply. I was living in a student house with bills inclusive so I don’t have to cancel anything in that regard other than updating my banking address.

While reporting the change in circumstances, can I use my friends address as my new home address in this case?

srsw

Post by srsw » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:03 am

saadarshad wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:56 am
Thanks for your reply. I was living in a student house with bills inclusive so I don’t have to cancel anything in that regard other than updating my banking address.

While reporting the change in circumstances, can I use my friends address as my new home address in this case?
Does your friend own the house and if there's enough room for extra person, then it should be fine I think.
My advice is based on personal research/experience, so pls check relevant UKVI sources.

saadarshad
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by saadarshad » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:43 am

srsw wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:03 am
saadarshad wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:56 am

Does your friend own the house and if there's enough room for extra person, then it should be fine I think.
He doesn’t own the house but I know someone who does so I can use that address. Also, will reporting change in circumstances be sufficient for both CoS and visa? Or do I need to ask my employer to add a sponsor note stating change in addresses?

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:26 pm

Thank you for your reply! I am moving out in a next couple days and have recently applied for my visa and due to the whole covid situation I am not sure how long is the application going to take. I will not have a permanent address once I move out as I mentioned I will be staying at a friends and can not get a long term housing contract until my visa application is accepted.
Got it now.

In that case, I would talk to the landlord/occupier of the house to inform you as soon as any post arrive to your current address.

When you get the BRP, proceed to make all the changes. If everything is ok with your application, you would be receiving your BRP soon, so I believe there is no harm in making the change within a few days/weeks after you move out/in.

Just to avoid any mess while your visa application is being processed.

saadarshad
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by saadarshad » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:38 pm

lolo2 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:26 pm
Got it now.

In that case, I would talk to the landlord/occupier of the house to inform you as soon as any post arrive to your current address.

When you get the BRP, proceed to make all the changes. If everything is ok with your application, you would be receiving your BRP soon, so I believe there is no harm in making the change within a few days/weeks after you move out/in.

Just to avoid any mess while your visa application is being processed.
Thank you so much! That cleared all my doubts, I have already used my work address as my postal address so receiving mails by post shouldn’t be a problem.