ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Claiming Irish citizenship/passport for child at later date

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

strongbow
Member of Standing

Claiming Irish citizenship/passport for child at later date

Post by strongbow » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:10 am

My wife and I are both non-EU nationals who have been working here--I have been here for 7.5 years while my wife has been here for the past 4 years. We are expecting our first child next month and given the fact that both of us have been here for more than 3 years on a legally valid work status our child will be eligible for an Irish passport. However rather than applying for an Irish passport for the child straightaway we are thinking of applying for our current nationality passport initially and maybe in about 2 or 3 years time we will apply for an irish passport for the child.

My queries are:
1. Will there be any issues in claiming Irish citizenship/passport for the child at that stage?
2. is there any time limit within which a child born to non-EU parents in Ireland but eligible for Irish citizenship should apply for a passport?
3. Is there any other document(i.e. other than a passport) which is issued to prove that the child is an Irish citizen?

bloody foreigner

Post by bloody foreigner » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:10 pm

Hi Strongbow,

As far as I know, the answers are:

1, No, but if I were you, I would apply for the irish passport ASAP so that you have it in the bag in case they change the law again, as they are sometimes prone to do.
2, Same answer as 1 above.
3, I think that there may be some sort of certificate, issued only "where it is necessary in all the circumstances of the case", or some such wording, but getting a passport is easier.

I can't really understand why you would want to delay getting the irish passport and get your own country's one first (why not both immediately?), but that's your business.

I am no expert and I am open to correction.

I hope this helps.

strongbow
Member of Standing

Post by strongbow » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:30 pm

I can't really understand why you would want to delay getting the irish passport and get your own country's one first (why not both immediately?), but that's your business.
The main reason for this is because we cannot hold both the passports simultaneously.

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:31 pm

Probably best to apply for a certificate of nationality (http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categ ... term=birth certificate) at the earliest possible point in time to avoid any doubt as to whether your child is entitled to Irish citizenship. Then you'll be able to apply for a passport when you see fit.

All the best with the little one.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Re: Claiming Irish citizenship/passport for child at later d

Post by mktsoi » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:00 pm

strongbow wrote:My wife and I are both non-EU nationals who have been working here--I have been here for 7.5 years while my wife has been here for the past 4 years. We are expecting our first child next month and given the fact that both of us have been here for more than 3 years on a legally valid work status our child will be eligible for an Irish passport. However rather than applying for an Irish passport for the child straightaway we are thinking of applying for our current nationality passport initially and maybe in about 2 or 3 years time we will apply for an irish passport for the child.

My queries are:
1. Will there be any issues in claiming Irish citizenship/passport for the child at that stage?
2. is there any time limit within which a child born to non-EU parents in Ireland but eligible for Irish citizenship should apply for a passport?
3. Is there any other document(i.e. other than a passport) which is issued to prove that the child is an Irish citizen?
i dont know what is the impact will be on your current nationality for your kid if your kid takes up irish nationality. if you dont mind i ask, what nationality are you?

first thing. the rule is, you and your spouse will have to be in ireland on working status 3 years our of the 4 years PRIOR(the date before your kid born) apply for the irish citizenship for your kid. i think it is more a registration for citizneship instead of automatic birth right. i am not 100% sure, but if it is not automatic birth right. you can always apply for your kid. if later stage your kid dont want it. your kid can always give it up

second thing, you better off apply for the kid after your kid born because the irish government is the most unpredictable. if you can apply for your kid now and you dont, what if couple of year down the road and you want to apply and they changed the law and you cant, so just think about it. it is better to get it while you can. if you dont like it, you can always give it up after.

if they let your kid have the irish citizenship, dont you worry about that, they will issue your kid something to prove that your kid is irish citizen.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:50 pm

strongbow wrote:
The main reason for this is because we cannot hold both the passports simultaneously.
The issue does not have to do with being able to have two (or more) passports at the same time; it comes down to citizenship. A passport is merely a travel document that acts as proof of indentity and citizenship. If you hold a passport, about 99% of the time it means you are a citizen of the issuing country. (The other 1% is when people fasely use a passport despite having either knowingly renounced or (un)knowingly lost their citizenship, most often due to acquisition of another nationality.)

So, it comes down to whether your own country allows dual/multiple citizenship. If not, then you cannot obtain a passport from your own country first, as technically your child would not be considered a citizen of that country if s/he would be considered an Irish citizen at birth (although quite often children under the age of 18 - sometimes 21 - can be a dual citizen, but must renounce their other citizenship/s before they reach adulthood).

Are you from India? If so, I know that India does not allow dual nationality, but I am not sure about the rules for children.

As mktosi's post above points out, however, does your child qualify automatically for Irish citizenship, or will s/he have to be registered as such at a later date?

Giri

Post by Giri » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:53 pm

Hello,

You can weigh from your point of view that which citizenship is valuable not only at the present stage but also in future. Because most of the countries are changing their immigration laws quite often.
You can get Irish citizenship (EU) first and at the later stage you can get your country's citizenship. It may be easy to change to your country's citizenship from EU.