ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation Application query

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nandinib84
Newly Registered
India

Naturalisation Referees query

Post by nandinib84 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:11 pm

Hello,

My husband and I are currently in the process of applying for Naturalization (separate independant applications). I understand we need to provide 2 referees to support our application. One of the referees is a British citizen, a Director of a Pvt Ltd company, which I understand should be okay. My queries are:

1. The second referee is a non-EU/UK citizen but only works as a Team Lead (an engineer) in a company and does not have any professional body associated. Is that acceptable ?
2.Alternatively, can we look for a referee of professional standing not living in UK ?
3. Can we both have the same referees as we have known the same set of people since decades ?

Many thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Naturalisation Referees query

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:31 pm

1. See below requirements.
2. Not sure - but I would go for someone in the UK - easier to deal with/contact
3. Yes

These are the requirements:
5.1 One referee should be a person of any nationality who has professional standing, such as
a minister of religion, civil servant, or a member of a professional body such as an accountant or
solicitor (who is not representing you with this application). The other referee must normally be the
holder of a British citizen passport and either a professional person or over the age of 25.
Both should declare that:
• they are not a relative, solicitor or agent of the applicant
• they are not employed by the Home Office
• they have not been convicted of an imprisonable offence
• they have known the applicant personally for more than 3 years
• they are willing to give full details of their knowledge of the applicant
• they will advise the Home Office of any reason why the applicant should not be naturalised
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

nandinib84
Newly Registered
India

Post by nandinib84 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:54 pm

thank you for your response.

I would ideally like to go with someone residing in UK but don't know people who have professional standing, such as a minister of religion, civil servant, or a member of a professional body such as an accountant or
solicitor.

That's why I was wondering if the referee is just qualified engineer by education (eg: Masters done in UK) and has a position or a Manager or Team lead in a company here, will that be accepted ?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:03 pm

My husband and I are currently in the process of applying for Naturalization (separate independant applications).
Suggestion: You both can use the same account also and add family members in the same account. This will help you secure the biometrics appointment at the same time and date and make joint payments.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:06 pm

nandinib84 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:54 pm
thank you for your response.

I would ideally like to go with someone residing in UK but don't know people who have professional standing, such as a minister of religion, civil servant, or a member of a professional body such as an accountant or
solicitor.

That's why I was wondering if the referee is just qualified engineer by education (eg: Masters done in UK) and has a position or a Manager or Team lead in a company here, will that be accepted ?

https://www.gov.im/media/624353/listofreferees.pdf
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

nandinib84
Newly Registered
India

Post by nandinib84 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:26 pm

that's very helpful, thank you @CULLINAN. I now understand that I cannot use the second referee as the list clearly says `Engineer (with professional qualifications)`

Interesting you suggested a joint application. How can we go about that ? Would one of us classify ourselves as dependant when applying for naturalization ?
We both have had our individual journeys starting from Tier 2 - General (sponsored by employer) leading to ILR .

Thank you

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:02 am

You both have to qualify on your own. No one is a dependent for Naturalisation sake. Each application will be processed on its own merits.

However, one person can start the AN form creating ONE account i.e one registered email.

Once that person completes his/her online form, the system will let you add the other family member, in your case, partner, in the same account.

Then the partner fills his/her own form and both forms stays in the same account.

Joint payment/biometrics appointment/uploading documents in ONE account can be easily done in this case rather than dealing with two separate accounts.

PS Do not confuse accounts with forms. You both will have separate forms but in the same account.

nandinib84
Newly Registered
India

Naturalisation Application query

Post by nandinib84 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:07 pm

Hello,
I have the same query on two questions:
1. Previous application details.
2. When did you first arrive in the UK?

I've visited UK as a tourist with family several times over 15-20 years ago and then finally arrived as a student in 2009, left in 2010 and then came back on Tier 2 in 2014. Do I need to include the 15-20 years old visitors visa as previous application details and "first" arrive in UK ?
I may not have those exact details as I was a minor and that was 2 passports ago !

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Naturalisation Application query

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:10 pm

Topics merged!! (click to read the forum rule on multiple topics)
1. Previous application details.
All visas you have applied for as best you can recall.
2. When did you first arrive in the UK?

2009, when you started LIVING here.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

nandinib84
Newly Registered
India

Naturalisation document checklist

Post by nandinib84 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:29 pm

Hello,
I'm about to submit my application but wanted to have a sanity check on the documents listed as required to submit at the end of the application. Some overlap and therefore wanted to make sure I have the right ones. My route is non-EU, Tier 2 + 18 months ILR

1. The passport issued by <country of origin> for <applicant> : All pages scanned copy
2. Proof of living in the UK for <applicant> for 5 years if applying in your own right or 3 years if applying as the spouse of a British Citizen: passport pages scanned copy + ILR. Anything else ?
3.<applicant>'s proof of freedom from immigration time restrictions. Is this ILR again, I don't understand this ?
4.The degree certificate for <applicant> to prove the level of English language required. Master's degree
5. Two referee declarations for <applicant>. Will they accept digital signed copies due to lockdown ?
6. Current Biometric Residence Permit for <applicant> ILR again

Are any additional documents needed, for example P60 etc?

Thanks.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Naturalisation document checklist

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:47 pm

See highlighted:
nandinib84 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:29 pm
Hello,
I'm about to submit my application but wanted to have a sanity check on the documents listed as required to submit at the end of the application. Some overlap and therefore wanted to make sure I have the right ones. My route is non-EU, Tier 2 + 18 months ILR

1. The passport issued by <country of origin> for <applicant> : All pages scanned copy covering the qualifying period
2. Proof of living in the UK for <applicant> for 5 years if applying in your own right or 3 years if applying as the spouse of a British Citizen: passport pages scanned copy + ILR. Anything else ? Passport stamps covering 5 year qualifying period
3.<applicant>'s proof of freedom from immigration time restrictions. Is this ILR again, I don't understand this ? Yes
4.The degree certificate for <applicant> to prove the level of English language required. Master's degree
5. Two referee declarations for <applicant>. Will they accept digital signed copies due to lockdown ? Best to get physical signatures via post
6. Current Biometric Residence Permit for <applicant> ILR again

Are any additional documents needed, for example P60 etc?
No

Thanks.
Also, assuming you mentioned LIUK ref in the form.

nandinib84
Newly Registered
India

Post by nandinib84 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:48 am

Thank you. I managed to get the referees signature !

I've managed to submit my application and now uploading the documents to UKVCAS. The document upload list is generic. Based on my previous posts of required mandatory documents, I have uploaded the following under each category

Mandatory document:
Proof of identity/travel history : passport

Optional
Other: 2 x referees
Residence in UK: ILR
Finances: N/A
Proof of Business: N/A
Life events: N/A
Medicial Info: N/A
Sponsors/Employment: N/A
Educational: Master's degree
Proof of Application: what can I upload ??

Have I missed out on any documents for naturalisation ?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:24 am

ILR BRP??

Proof of application or proof of identity usually mentions where to upload the passport. You can upload passport where it mentions.

nandinib84
Newly Registered
India

Post by nandinib84 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:33 pm

Thanks CULLINAN.

I did mention that ILR BRP will be uploaded against this option Residence in UK: ILR. That works ?

As the mandatory document for me is Proof of identity/travel history : I will upload my passport here and Proof of Application is optional, I can leave this blank ?

Thank you for all the support and guidance.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:43 pm

nandinib84 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:33 pm
Thanks CULLINAN.

I did mention that ILR BRP will be uploaded against this option Residence in UK: ILR. That works ?

As the mandatory document for me is Proof of identity/travel history : I will upload my passport here and Proof of Application is optional, I can leave this blank ?

Thank you for all the support and guidance.
Correct.