ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Possible to take IELTS B1 for visa extension?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Strapflow
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Possible to take IELTS B1 for visa extension?

Post by Strapflow » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:43 am

Good day,

My wife's spouse visa will expire in March 2021 so we have started researching the requirements for visa extension.

1. She gave IELTS Life Skills A1 in 2018. She now has to give A2 according to the Gov website. Is it possible for her to give B1 instead as it's a requirement for citizenship anyway? This way we can be done with English tests in one go and not have to worry about them again.

I have checked the Gov rules and even if the B1 test expires in two years, it will still be possible to use it for ILR and citizenship applications.

2. We are planning to travel abroad in March 2021. Since the visa processing takes 8 weeks, we are planning to apply by mid-December. She entered UK in June 2018. If we apply in Dec 2020, she will be here for 30 months. In UK applicants receive a further 30 months visa + 28 days (if remaining) from the previous visa. This means she will easily reach 60 months requirement with the extension and then we can apply for ILR. Are my calculations correct or am I missing something?

Thanks.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Possible to take IELTS B1 for visa extension?

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:40 am

Strapflow wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:43 am
Good day,

My wife's spouse visa will expire in March 2021 so we have started researching the requirements for visa extension.

1. She gave IELTS Life Skills A1 in 2018. She now has to give A2 according to the Gov website. Is it possible for her to give B1 instead as it's a requirement for citizenship anyway? This way we can be done with English tests in one go and not have to worry about them again.

I have checked the Gov rules and even if the B1 test expires in two years, it will still be possible to use it for ILR and citizenship applications. Correct, sofar the conditions stated there are fulfilled.

2. We are planning to travel abroad in March 2021. Since the visa processing takes 8 weeks, we are planning to apply by mid-December. She entered UK in June 2018. If we apply in Dec 2020, she will be here for 30 months. In UK applicants receive a further 30 months visa + 28 days (if remaining) from the previous visa. This means she will easily reach 60 months requirement with the extension and then we can apply for ILR. Are my calculations correct or am I missing something? Your calculations are correct.

Thanks.

Korekt
Mood:
Nigeria

Re: Possible to take IELTS B1 for visa extension?

Post by Korekt » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:03 pm

Also, the window to apply for the extension opens 28 days before reaching 30 months.

As the window to apply for ILR opens 28 days before reaching 60 months.

So now, you can consider all your options and take an informed decision
"Facts are sacred. Opinions are free."