ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British registration of UK born child of one parent ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Cristina88
Mood:
Australia

British registration of UK born child of one parent ILR

Post by Cristina88 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:10 pm

Hi ,

I just got my ILR success confirmation via 5 year tier 2 general route. I have 3 dependents, my husband and son (not born in UK) and daughter (born in UK). My husband and son are eligible for ILR in Apr 2021.
I understand that for my UK born daughter we can register her as British citizen as soon as I get my ILR BRP.
Just to confirm, she has a foreign (non UK) passport and she travelled out of UK with us several times.

tbh, I dont understand what this registration means and have few questions.
- Does it mean we can get her British passport ?
- What is the process for MN1 registration ?
- What are the documents required ?
- What are the current timelines / how much time is it taking currently ?

apologies for many questions & I am guessing mostly basic but I have no idea how to proceed.

Thanks a lot for helping me throughout my life in UK!

Cheers

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: British registration of UK born child of one parent ILR

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:23 pm

You will have to register your UK born daughter as a BC via MN1 form. Once the MN1 is approved, you can apply for her British Passport.
She has an entitlement to be registered as a BC. Her foreign passport(s), travels are meaningless.

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/product/mn1

Apply online. Same UKVCAS process then what you just did for your own ILR application.

You will have to send in proof for your ILR BRP. Scan copy and Child’s UK birth certificate.

My daughter’s MN1 was approved in 28 days. Not sure what current timescales are post-corona. You need to follow the MN1 timelines.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:30 pm

You will need:

Scan copies of:

1) Your ILR BRP
2) Child’s UK birth certificate
3) 2 Referees

Since the child has a foreign passport, so you will declare that in the form. Most likely, the checklist will ask about the child’s foreign passport also just because it will be generated in the checklist.

Otherwise, a UK born child not necessarily needs a foreign passport to be registered as BC after one parents gets settled status.

Since you the mother is applying on behalf of the child, nothing else is needed i.e. marriage certificate etc.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -Jul19.pdf
Section 1(3) - A child born in the UK whose parents are not British citizens and were not settled in the UK will have an entitlement to register when one of their parents become settled in the UK or become British citizens.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:36 pm

Once the MN1 is approved and you receive the certificate, you can apply for her British Passport.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:42 pm

Cristina88
Mood:
Australia

Post by Cristina88 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:46 pm

Thanks a lot for your quick & thorough response!

During the MN1 application, can child travel outside UK or not allowed like during ILR application?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:48 pm

Cristina88 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:46 pm
Thanks a lot for your quick & thorough response!

During the MN1 application, can child travel outside UK or not allowed like during ILR application?
Free to travel. This is not an immigration application. This falls under the Nationality laws.

Cristina88
Mood:
Australia

Post by Cristina88 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:59 pm

Thank you so much. Her current Tier 2 General BRP is valid until May 2021. So while her MN1 application is under process , she can still travel out of UK & come back with her T2G dependent BRP?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:00 pm

Cristina88 wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:59 pm
Thank you so much. Her current Tier 2 General BRP is valid until May 2021. So while her MN1 application is under process , she can still travel out of UK & come back with her T2G dependent BRP?
Yes. You will however need to book a biometrics appointment after you apply online. Travel after that.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:31 am

Note, child can travel before or after biometrics but its best to travel after biometrics so its out of the way.

Cristina88
Mood:
Australia

Post by Cristina88 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:44 pm

Hi Gurus, Moderators,

I have started filling forms for my 3 yr old daughter , I have few questions if you can please help:

Q: Who does this email belong to? 
Someone else (not applicant, as applicant is only 3 years old so will use my address) is that fine?

Q: Have you had settlement in the UK?
As my daughter is T2G dependent, she doesnt have ILR. So I answer this NO ?

Q: Asking for 5 Year address: we moved house after our daughter was born. As there was delay in getting keys of our new house, in between moving houses we lived at a friend's house for 2 weeks. There is no proof as it was friendly stay. 
- Should we mention friend's address for these 2 weeks?  
- Do we have to give address proof (for MN1 or any future citizenship app for others in family)?

Thanks a lot in advance.. Best regards as always !

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:52 pm

1) Does the form ask who the email address belong to? If not, just select “applicant”. HO knows the parent is applying on child’s behalf.
2) Correct.
3) No need. Just answer yes for 5 years. HO knows child is only 3. No proof needed.

Cristina88
Mood:
Australia

Post by Cristina88 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:13 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:52 pm
3) No need. Just answer yes for 5 years. HO knows child is only 3. No proof needed.
Thanks & Sorry I should have been clear..
After she is born, we lived at friend’s place (with her) for 2 weeks. Do we need to declare that ?
If yes, we don’t have any proof as it was friendly stay. If we declare now , we might have to declare in my BC, dependents ILR later but unfortunately we don’t have any proof.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:15 pm

You're overthinking. No need to declare a two week stay/visit. No evidence of address is needed!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Cristina88
Mood:
Australia

Post by Cristina88 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:29 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:15 pm
You're overthinking. No need to declare a two week stay/visit. No evidence of address is needed!!
Thanks a lot CR001 !

The application asks for exact dates for each address. If I put dates for old and new house then there is a gap of 2 weeks and hence my confusion :(
Is address proof not required for any British Citizenship or dependent's ILR/naturalisation ?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:44 pm

Cristina88 wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:29 pm
No proof needed. Just input the last two addresses. Start the date for second address when the first address date ends to bypass the question. Ignore the 2 weeks.

If you really want to declare the 2 weeks in between, you can. No proof needed anyways.

Cristina88
Mood:
Australia

Post by Cristina88 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:31 pm

Thanks a lot Cullinan ! You know how much I appreciate this forum and you in particular :wink:

apologies in advance for more questions this time on the document checklis, :oops:

1) What's the proof of parental responsibility - is Birth certificate enough ?
- Proof of Mrs Christina Marsh's parental responsibility for Miss G.
- Proof of Mr P's parental responsibility for Miss G.

2) A letter of consent from Miss G's parent(s) or legal guardian(s)
Is there a sample letter / format please ?

3) 2 Referees:
One must have dealt professionally with my daughter, so will check with her nursery caretaker/owner and/or GP. If I am able to get then is any of these is it acceptable as referee ?

Second can be any British citizen above age of 25 years (need not be any specific profession or dealt professionally with my daughter right) ?

Is there a specific list of professions accepted as referees. The thing is there is hardly any profession that dealt professionally with a 3 yr old child :(

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:36 pm

Welcome.

1) Yes

2) Simple two lines that both parent(s) consent to registering the child as BC. Both parents sign and date.

3) Contact them, if the refuse, add a cover letter and show evidence of correspondence (if possible). Provide another referee (not necessarily someone who knows the child in a professional capacity).
Examples: Health Visitor, GP, Minister of religion, Teacher etc.
For child applicants at least one of the referees must be a person who has dealt with the child in a professional role such as a teacher, doctor, health visitor or social worker. Where a child cannot provide a referee who has dealt with them in a professional capacity and has provided documents to show that they have attempted to do so, you can accept 2 referees who meet the criteria for referees on adult
applications
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 1.0EXT.pdf

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:59 pm

Requirements of a referee
Each referee should know the applicant personally.
Where the applicant is a child applying, one referee should be a professional who has engaged with the child in a professional capacity, such as a teacher, health visitor, social worker or minister of religion.
For an adult application, one referee should be a person of any nationality who has professional standing, eg minister of religion, civil servant, or a member of a professional body e.g. accountant or solicitor (who is not representing you with this application).
For all applications, the second referee must normally be the holder of a British citizen passport and either a professional person or over the age of 25.
https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... on_MN1.pdf

Criteria (professional person) for referee for adult applications:

(if needed in case)

https://www.gov.im/media/624353/listofreferees.pdf

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:05 pm

Template for you, print, fill, sign and upload. The one I used for my daughter.

Consent to the application

Mother’s consent:

I (Full name of mother) consent to this application for the registration of (Full name of child) as a British Citizen.

Signature:
Date:
Address:
Mobile:
Email:

Father’s consent:

I (Full name of father) consent to this application for the registration of (Full name of child) as a British Citizen.

Signature:
Date:
Address:
Mobile:
Email:

Cristina88
Mood:
Australia

Post by Cristina88 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:17 pm

Thanks a lot prophet @Cullinan!

Are these docs enough:

Child Passport (do we require all pages like ILR style?)
Child BRP
Child UK Birth Certificate
Mother’s ILR BRP
Parents Consent Letter
Parents Marriage Certificate (We have one from our home country 12 yrs old, is that ok?)
Referee declaration - with UK passport size photo of Child & form that is signed by referee right ?

after this, its like ILR, pay & submit on UKVCAS and book biometric appointment on same day (though there is no prio/super prio like ILR) ?

THanks a lot again and again and always !

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:42 pm

Cristina88 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:17 pm
Thanks a lot prophet @Cullinan!

Are these docs enough:

Child Passport (do we require all pages like ILR style?)
Bio page is enough
Child BRP
Child UK Birth Certificate
Mother’s ILR BRP Have you received yours already or waiting?
Parents Consent Letter
Parents Marriage Certificate (We have one from our home country 12 yrs old, is that ok?)
Not needed when mother is applying on child’s behalf- Is the checklist asking for it?
Referee declaration - with UK passport size photo of Child & form that is signed by referee right ?
2 referee declarations yes. Paste child’s photo, referee physically signs, you scan and upload

after this, its like ILR, pay & submit on UKVCAS and book biometric appointment on same day (though there is no prio/super prio like ILR) ?
Yes same process. You dont have to book an appointment the same day. Its up to you if you want to though. You get 2 months. Look for free appointments or paid as you like. There is no SP for Citizenship applications. Only standard processing

THanks a lot again and again and always !

Cristina88
Mood:
Australia

Post by Cristina88 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:58 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:42 pm
Cristina88 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:17 pm

Mother’s ILR BRP Have you received yours already or waiting?

Not needed when mother is applying on child’s behalf- Is the checklist asking for it?
Havent received my ILR BRP yet but it says should come in 7-10 days no ?

Yes, the checklist is asking for Parents marriage certificate even though child is applying on my behalf. Is it ok if the Marriage certificate is 12 yrs old, from my home country and has my maiden name on the certificate ?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:05 pm

RE marriage certificate: The checklist is generic so its coming up. Not needed though. Its needed if father is applying on child’s behalf. Yes you can send if you wish.

All that is needed is Child’s UK birth certificate, Your ILR, 2 Referees and both parents consent. But send all documents as per checklist.

RE your ILR: Yes it will come hopefully tomorrow or during this week. Call TNT and check tomorrow. They will tell you about delivery details.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:16 pm

What name is on your child’s UK birth certificate? married name?