ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Netherlands help... working for family

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

elizabethDane
Newly Registered

Netherlands help... working for family

Post by elizabethDane » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:17 pm

hello... my partner is dutch and im from a non European country,were in a very happy and seriouse relationship and we want to live together...only problem is that in order for me to accept a residence permit with partner,he needs to earn 1318 euro.and im afraid he earns just abit less...we already applied for the MVV..but i do have a question.. does doing jobs for family or friends(as another additional source for income)?
does the family member that he will work for need to pay social security money + retirement money etc ?
thanks ahead in advance!![/i]

edamame
Newly Registered

Post by edamame » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:28 am

AFAIK, this doesn't count. Not only does your partner need to show he makes this income, he has to have a 12-month contract to show that in no time soon will he be out of work and you both on the dole. The money has to be legit and taxable; not untaxable income. The contract requirement is understandable; but difficult in the current/recent economy. It's very difficult to get a 12-month contract for new hires, but short term contracts through uitzenbureaus are easier (but again, they won't qualify you even if the pay is right).

I'm a non-EU and married to a Dutch citizen, and in the same position. BTW, if he makes a little less than you might want to consider marriage. The income requirement for married spouses is slightly lower than for domestic partners. You should seriously look into the Immigration site for the Netherlands, as you might find to your surprise that with the income requirement satisfied, you might only qualify for *residence* and not for work. Meaning: you're allowed to spend money in NL, but not to earn any. Yikes! My then partner, now husband & I had to leave NL after such a hassle.

I urge you to contact an immigration attorney ASAP to discuss your position. My attorney has shown us how to return to NL. Please don't think the bureaucrats will help you. I spend 11 months in NL on temporary visa to get a 12-month student visa: that's right, the month after I got a visa finally approved I graduated and had to leave. They are shockingly slow; and you might know of the court cases filed by universities and private employers against the government for failure to process foreign resident/worker documents in a reasonable time frame. I think U-Groningen is one of the plaintiffs; if memory serves.

Good luck!

iza
Newly Registered

Marriage doesn't work anymore to reside in NL...

Post by iza » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:45 pm

Hi, I did all the application to reside in NL with my partner. The laws had become very thight. I applied for a resident permit (not work) to stay with my boyfriend. I was rejected and then we put this in the hands of a lawyer. Marriage IS NO MORE AN OPTION by the way :( . Indeed, it's all about money; my Dutch boyfriend needed a year contract minimum and a certain salary (which kept on being higher). So even if he signed responsibility for me and that I wouldn't get any wellfare for 5 years; I was rejected twice and needed was forced back to my country (Canada) ... Thing is now in NL, most of the jobs are temporary contracts that are renewed (it's hard to find a steady jobs and now there is job-cuts everywhere nowadays...). Those temp contacts doesn't count for NL immigration laws. Please make sure to call and read all the info before your application in advance or once there...The stranger police (which I needed to meet within 3 days after arrival) didn't tell us all the details of the new laws and even the lawyer didn't know them all either! . I was told they couldn't kick me out, well they did! The police came and i almost ended up at one of their immigration camps (call it prison until they ship you back!). :evil:

Now I'm wandering what I can do :?: ... in my case I cannot apply for a work visa, only partner of a Dutch citizen.

Question: if my boyfriend moves to another EU country, is there a country that would be more easy for me, a Canadian, to enter/reside and be with my partner, including marriage if needed?

Thanks.

edamame
Newly Registered

don't give up

Post by edamame » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:15 am

Poor dear! What a dreadful experience you had. Unfortunately NL is becoming xenophobic and is one of the worst places in Europe to immigrate into. The economy and the general liberal atmosphere that many peole liked changed a lot, and now 3 times as many people leave as come in (including a brain drain of skilled Dutch workers who want out of the sinking ship). You heard how recently the government put all insurance into private companies and the rates doubled? It's jsut hard to make a living there nowadays, and job security, as you mentioned, is low. Try northern Belgium, or Germany if your partner speaks German. You both might need to relocate if you want to stay together. That's what my Dutch husband & I did.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:52 am

Iza wrote:Question: if my boyfriend moves to another EU country, is there a country that would be more easy for me, a Canadian, to enter/reside and be with my partner, including marriage if needed?
Especially if the two of you are married then if you and your husband (as he would be) intend to live in any other EEA country, apart from NL (where he is a Citizen), then :-
  • he has the right to live and work in any EU/EEA country under EU/EEA legislation
  • you, a so-called "third-country national" have the same rights, but need an EEA Family Permit in your passport to prove it
Accordingly, for example if he relocated to say the UK ... his English good? .... then you would obtain a UK-issued EEA Family Permit ... confirming that you have the rights to live and work in the UK as your Dutch husband.

But it does not need to be the UK, it could be any EEA country. Coming from Canada, in case you might miss the snow, it could be Iceland, Norway, Sweden or Finland instead. :roll:
John

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:39 am

John wrote:
Iza wrote:Question: if my boyfriend moves to another EU country, is there a country that would be more easy for me, a Canadian, to enter/reside and be with my partner, including marriage if needed?
Especially if the two of you are married then if you and your husband (as he would be) intend to live in any other EEA country, apart from NL (where he is a Citizen), then :-
  • he has the right to live and work in any EU/EEA country under EU/EEA legislation
  • you, a so-called "third-country national" have the same rights, but need an EEA Family Permit in your passport to prove it
Accordingly, for example if he relocated to say the UK ... his English good? .... then you would obtain a UK-issued EEA Family Permit ... confirming that you have the rights to live and work in the UK as your Dutch husband.

But it does not need to be the UK, it could be any EEA country. Coming from Canada, in case you might miss the snow, it could be Iceland, Norway, Sweden or Finland instead. :roll:

The EEA Family Permit, however, does not *in itself* give a route to permanent residence and citizenship in another EEA country.

The should be investigated if choosing another country. In the UK it's possible to get permanent residence after 4 years employment (likely to be increased to 5 soon) and British citizenship a year later. Your Dutch husband would have problems keeping his citizenship while becoming British, but there would be nothing stopping you naturalising on your own (Canada allows dual citizenship).

In some countries it may be harder or impossible to get permanent residence and citizenship off an EEA Family Permit. Bear in mind that if your relationship ends without permanent resident status or citizenship, you could be in a difficult situation regarding staying in that country.

edamame
Newly Registered

Post by edamame » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:03 am

Since marriage is not an option, you could try a domestic partnership in the EU countries that recognize it.