ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizenship by birth

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Jenev
Newly Registered
Switzerland

British citizenship by birth

Post by Jenev » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:22 am

Dear Sir/Madame,

My situation is the following. My husband has 2 citizenships: Germany and Russia, and permanent residence in the UK. I have only Russian citizenship and currently living on EU spouse visa.

Our 11 month child was born in the UK. The questions are:

1. Does our child have British citizenship by birth and if so does my husband need my written consent to get it?
2. My spouse visa expires on Dec 2021. What happens with it if I do not register settled status before the end of this year? Will it be cancelled? Will I be deported?

PS The reason I am asking is that my husband is threatening me to take the child away from me. This is why he desperately needs British passport for the child and looking to get it without my consent...

secret.simon

Re: British citizenship by birth

Post by secret.simon » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:30 am

If your husband has proof that he acquired permanent residence before the birth of the child, then yes, your child is a British citizen from birth.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:12 pm

Your child IS already UK citizen (as long as your husband obtained PR before his birth)
If a child is UK citizen, then one parent can apply for UK passport, and they do not need a consent from another parent. (They will need to send to passport office child photo, child birth certificate, child foreign passports, and proof of their PR acquired before child birth - probably also marriage certificate of parents, though I think not)

You should try to apply for pre-settled status (or settled if you were in UK for 5 years already). You have until end of June 2020 to do it, otherwise your legal status in UK might be in danger.
But since your status is derivative from your husband you most probably will need his documents to do so.
Note that there are also alternative ways to apply for pre-settled status (if your relationship goes bad):
- retained rights of residence (if you divorce)
- as a primary carer of UK or EU child (for that you just need to be child's legal guardian and provide "day to day care") - note that here it might be actually better for you if your child in UK citizen (does he have German passport now? Or only Russian one?)
-

Jenev
Newly Registered
Switzerland

Post by Jenev » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:24 pm

The baby does not have any documents yet since my husband unlawfully refuse to grant him Russian passport and that is why i do not want to give my consent to the british one... The problem is that once he received the British passport for our oldest son he hided it from me and i have never seen it for the past 4 years. It is abducticting the child taking him to travel without my consent.

Jenev
Newly Registered
Switzerland

Post by Jenev » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:25 pm

This can't be like this! There should be some way to stop hom doing it!

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:34 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:36 pm

To get a russian passport for the child you also do not need to get consent of two parents.
You would need your husband's agreement to get him Russian CITIZENSHIP - in case the child would not have one. However, since BOTH you and your husband have Russian citizenship, your children are automatically Russian citizens by birth, no matter where they were born.
The only issue might be that the russian consulate might need a proof of your husband's russian citizenship in order to issue a passport to the child..

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:41 pm

Ah, and actually, yes: your husband does not need your consent to apply for child's UK passport, but you can STOP him from getting child's UK passport by calling Passport Office (and you might also be able to cancel existing child's UK passport that way too, though here I am less sure)

Jenev
Newly Registered
Switzerland

Post by Jenev » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:33 pm

Dear Obormot, thank you!

Yes, Russians do not need my husband's consent and I proved that he is Russian citizen by presenting his Internal Russian passport but they requested also his Foreigh russian passport. For the passed 11 months I was exchanging emails with Russian Burocratic Authority and this is exactly what made my husband feel that he is powerful so he can do everything in this life. I do respect that my kids are British citizens but I do not want my husband use it as an excuse to manipulate by this fact!

Thank you for your help, appreciate it!