ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dependent parents of spouse / With pre settlement

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Irfan1648
Pakistan

Dependent parents of spouse / With pre settlement

Post by Irfan1648 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:26 am

Hi,
Need some help please,

I’m a British citizen, I have been married to Eu citizen from 8 years , we have a child together, and everything was going well, my parents are here and they have pre settlement- applied 4 months ago and received recently .

Things are not going well at the moment, she wants divorce, I am wondering what will be the option for my parents ?

Irfan1648
Pakistan

Re: Dependent parents of spouse / With pre settlement

Post by Irfan1648 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:50 pm

Can anyone share their knowledge if possible please?

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:39 am

I have seen this so many times... You live happily with your EEA wife. She sponsors your parents. Then, the house seems too small for everyone. Money starts going fast. Social pressure increases. Conflicts with your wife, with your parents... and next thing you know, is you are talking divorce, child custody and losing your family :(

It's sadly so common that they should add a disclaimer to these dependants applications.

There is no retained rights for your parents. When you divorce, their immigration status is then compromised and they will have to leave the UK at one point. I hope they didn't sell everything back in their country.

Irfan1648
Pakistan

Post by Irfan1648 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:35 pm

Everyone can have different part of their story I can’t judge , with parents I asked her many times to hire them flat but she didn’t accept it, it’s all about love , when someone stop loving you, you can feel and see that , it can be other reasons also, it’s weired someone to go on holiday and come back with this thought, and to say I want to go back and live there also to take the child away, it’s just painful to see people change so quick.

Many thanks for reading .

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:35 am

Most people can't afford that. Renting a flat for the dependent parents, means paying a rent on top of your own rent/mortgage, paying a second council tax, paying double utility bills, 2 x TV licenses, food... etc.

I have seen a case like that and then the issues started because of the money. The EEA wife wants the couple to move to a bigger house, take more holidays, pay private school for the little one... but you are deep in debt with no affordability for anything because you have adult dependants on your shoulders for the years to come.

This is a sour equation with no easy option.

I understand that sometimes couple break for no reason at all, but if there is a fragility in the couple, adding financial or family pressure is usually going to speed up the process. Where the couple would have had years to heal and find a new balance, the pressure destroys any prospect of recovery within weeks or months.

I am not saying that necessarily for you, but for anyone who reads this post.