ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

proof of English knowledge for BC [Nationality checking srv]

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

marka
Newly Registered

proof of English knowledge for BC [Nationality checking srv]

Post by marka » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:12 am

Hi all,

I am applying for BC through the nationality checking service in Brent on the 29th of April. When I made the appointment they said they will make and certify copies of my passports for the last 5 years, but when I asked them to do the same for my degree (to proof english competence) they said they cannot do that and I must submit the original. I would have thought that if they have a notary they would be able to certify copies of any documents.

I would rather not submit the original of my degree if I didn't have to.

Is it a home office requirement that all documents must be originals except for the passport(s) which can be certified copies? Or was the person I spoke to at the nationality checking service in Brent confused?

Cheers,

Marka

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:23 pm

One of the earlier posters said that the original copy of the degree document had to be submitted, but that it was returned by the Home office fairly quickly. You could ask your university to provide you with an offical letter confirming your attendance and degree. These are usually issued for free from the university registrar and would be accepted by the Home Office.
Joseph

guy
Newly Registered

Post by guy » Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:03 am

When I spoke to HO in Liverpool they told me not to send the original certificate of my UK diploma, so I sent a photocopy (not certified) of the diploma and that was the end of it. My application was successful.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:42 pm

Marka, you are using the checking service, which is quite new. So you will be taking your original documents along, but I believe it to be the case that the checking service will photocopy and hand your originals straight back to you.

Anyone who has actually used the checking service .... can you confirm?
John

hs159
Newly Registered

Post by hs159 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:21 pm

Hi,

I've spoken to checking service representative recently to book an appointment since I am applying for BC fairly soon. Whilst mentioning list of documents required, she mentioned explicitly that I need to bring my original UK degree certificate and they'll give a photocopy to me and send the original to HO along with other other documents (ofcourse HO will return it at their soonest). Just for the reference of people who're applying for BC soon, here is the list of documents I've been asked to bring with me

1. Original Passport(s)
2. ILR letter from HO
3. UK degree certificate (in my case, it is MSc from a British university)
4. Completely filled and signed application form AN(1)

Checking service people will photocopy 1&2 and give back originals to me where as original 3 will be sent to HO and a photocopy for my reference will be given back to me. The fees for the service (including registered postal charges) are £25

HTH,

hs159

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:55 pm

where can I get a list of centers from where i can obtain my proof of english language certificate?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:53 pm

Olisun, that depends ..... upon whether you are from a country where English is the mother tongue .... or not.

Where are you from?
John

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:18 pm

i am from india and my course was conducted in english... and my degree certificate is both in english and hindi (national language of india)....

frankly I don't trust anybody in the HO over their decision, so i thought maybe it's best to give the test

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:34 pm

Hi, your documentation proves the degree course was conducted in English? If so I think that will be sufficient to prove your English ability. That is, I don't think you need to take any test now.
John