ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First Passport after Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gongok
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

First Passport after Naturalisation

Post by gongok » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:38 pm

Hello

I would like to seek advice about my first British passport application as I have been granted citizenship through the naturalisation process. I am not sure whether this board is the right place?

My questions mainly relates to the documentation and the delivery:

1) I am currently abroad for a short period (for personal reasons), but I am normally resident in the UK where I already applied and obtained the citizenship certificate few months ago. I would like to start the passport application ASAP using the standard online application form in order to avoid delay https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-adult-pa ... ply-online (as I am only due to return to the UK in one month and will need to quarantine for another 14 days, thus unable to send my documentation for another 1.5 months). I would like to check that there are no restrictions to being physically present in the UK when proceeding with the online application? And whether it is acceptable for me to send the required documents from abroad?

2) According to the timeline for delivery, it is likely that the application will be processed for my documents and passport to be sent back perhaps towards the end of December. As it is the holiday period, there is a risk that I may be away from my home again then. In addition I do not have a secure mailbox but just an open space where mail gets delivered in my building. For this reason I would prefer to choose for both my documents and my passport to be delivered at another address. Is this option available to both deliveries as I only see it for the passport (different address) and for the documents it offers to pay for secure delivery- or are they both to be sent to the same address?
And if so, they ask for justification explaining why I want a delivery at a different address and I must provide evidence to my link to that address. Is the above reason valid? And what kind of evidence should I give (it is only a friend's address but their delivery will be more secure and reliable).

3) I am confused about the documents I must send:

I was born prior to 1983 and was naturalised British. Do I need to provide a birth certificate or not since I am over 16?

"Documents for first passport :
Ÿ Born before 01/01/83 – your birth/adoption certificate
Ÿ If you have naturalised or registered as a British citizen – your certificate of naturalisation or registration and the passport that you used to come into the UK and any foreign passport you hold or are included on. A ‘full’ birth/adoption certificate that shows parents details for applicants under 16 or a court order granting parental responsibility (if any are in place). Applicants 16 and over don’t normally need to give us their birth/adoption certificate."

Furthermore, I was not born in the UK, it says:

"Applicant born overseas before 1 Jan 1983 :
ŸYour ‘full’ birth certificate or adoption certificate that shows your parent’s details (the ‘short’ version which is issued for free by the registrar is not acceptable).
Ÿ Your father’s birth certificate or naturalisation or registration certificate
Ÿ His marriage certificate to your mother "

This is confusing, now do I need to provide my foreign birth certificate (translated, full version)?
I do not have my father's birth certificate nor my parents marriage certificate (neither of them are British nor lived in the UK). What should I do here for the missing documents?

It then says: "If either parent was born on or after 1 January 1983, or were born outside the UK, please give the following details: the full name, town, country of birth and date of marriage of your mother’s or parent 1’s parents and your father’s or parent 2’s parents"

My parents were both born outside the UK, but I do not have the details of their parents (and their marriages). What should I do?

Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: First Passport after Naturalisation

Post by CR001 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:50 pm

I would strongly suggest you wait to returned to the UK before you apply for a passport. Otherwise you risk your naturalised being question and potentially revoked, as some members on the forum have experienced in the past.

You only need to send your original passport and naturalisation certificate. Not all sections and documents listed are relevant to naturalised citizens. The same form is used for ALL routes to British passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

russn
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by russn » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:47 pm

Wouldn't there be an issue at the UK border given that he is already a British citizen and will still be trying to enter on a non-UK passport ?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:45 pm

russn wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:47 pm
Wouldn't there be an issue at the UK border given that he is already a British citizen and will still be trying to enter on a non-UK passport ?
The OP is an EU citizen!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.