ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation questions

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shoaibrehman
United Kingdom

Naturalisation questions

Post by shoaibrehman » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:50 am

Hi,

I had my ILR approved/issues on 04 Oct 2019 (tier 2 general route) and if I understand correctly, I'm eligible to apply for British Citizenship via naturalisation route.

I started filling out the online application and came across a few questions I thought I should get clarification:

1. Employment history: Do I have to provide the whole employment history? I was working as a part time employee at McDonalds during my uni days but I do not remember the exact dates. Is it sufficient to provide the last 5 years (tier 2 employment) history?

2. Referees: I can provide a reference of a British Citizen but he's a self employed contractor. Is that OK? Also, for my second referee, he's an IT professional who had an ILR and just had his citizenship approved a few days ago. What visa/nationality status should I specify for him in the reference section?

3. Finally, is it safe/allowed to travel overseas after making the citizenship application? Would that affect the application in any way?

Thank you

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Naturalisation questions

Post by CULLINAN » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:17 am

1) 10 years. Provide estimates if exact dates not known.

2) https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... on_MN1.pdf

https://www.gov.im/media/624353/listofreferees.pdf

3) Yes you can travel. You become British only when you attend your ceremony. Before that, you can travel on your ILR BRP.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

shoaibrehman
United Kingdom

Post by shoaibrehman » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:50 pm

Thank you.

One of the referees is on ILR (just had his naturalisation application approved but not a citizen yet) and he's a Computer Programmer. Is that an acceptable reference?

and another stupid question, but can I have both my referees put as friends?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:55 pm

One of the referees is on ILR (just had his naturalisation application approved but not a citizen yet) and he's a Computer Programmer. Is that an acceptable reference?
No, this profession is not on the list.
and another stupid question, but can I have both my referees put as friends?
Yes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shoaibrehman
United Kingdom

Post by shoaibrehman » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:07 pm

Thanks CR01, here are my two referees:

1- Computer programmer / currently on ILR
2- Driving Instructor / British Passport

Just so I understand correctly, do both of my referees have to have a professional standing/belong to the list of approved professions?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:09 pm

You need ONE referee who is on the professional list of any nationality. Your ILR friends profession is not on the list and he is not British yet.

The other referee must be a British citizen who is over 25 and does NOT have to be a profession on the list.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

shoaibrehman
United Kingdom

Post by shoaibrehman » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:14 pm

Thanks CR001 so in that case, I'll remove my friend who's on ILR and use the friend (2nd referee) who's a British citizen and an approved driving instructor.

For my second reference, I can put a reference who's a British citizen but he's not in the list of approved profession. He's currently a self employed contractor so I reckon that will be enough, isn't it?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:17 pm

For my second reference, I can put a reference who's a British citizen but he's not in the list of approved profession. He's currently a self employed contractor so I reckon that will be enough, isn't it?
Fine yes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

shoaibrehman
United Kingdom

Post by shoaibrehman » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:18 pm

Perfect. Thank you.

shoaibrehman
United Kingdom

Post by shoaibrehman » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:03 pm

I have another question, one of the required documents/conditions is:

Proof of living in the UK for Mr XYZ for 5 years if applying in your own right or 3 years if applying as the spouse of a British Citizen

I had my ILR approved via T2 general visa so what should I provide to fulfil this requirement?

Thanks

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:10 pm

Passport(s) stamps only covering the qualifying period.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

shoaibrehman
United Kingdom

Post by shoaibrehman » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:14 pm

Thanks. I do have quite a few stamps so do I need to provide every page where it's stamped? Is there any other document required to support the 5 year period?

Another question, what are the next steps after paying and submitting my application? Is the ID check happening using the IDV app now or do I still need to visit the centre in person?

Thanks

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:18 pm

shoaibrehman wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:14 pm
Thanks. I do have quite a few stamps so do I need to provide every page where it's stamped?
Yes during the qualifying period

Is there any other document required to support the 5 year period?
No

Another question, what are the next steps after paying and submitting my application? Is the ID check happening using the IDV app now or do I still need to visit the centre in person?

Must book an appointment now

Thanks

shoaibrehman
United Kingdom

Post by shoaibrehman » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:08 pm

Hi,

I've submitted my application today and this is what I've uploaded:

1. Passport
2. Current BRP (ILR)
3. Life in the UK test
4. Degree certificate
5. References (2)
6. Stamped pages of my passport to show travel history/proof 5 years residence.

Is there anything else I should attach with my application?

Thanks
Shoaib

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:31 pm

All good.

Jan07
United Kingdom

Post by Jan07 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:36 pm

Hi, Life in the UK test, did you upload a certificate or just enter the ref number?

shoaibrehman
United Kingdom

Post by shoaibrehman » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:41 pm

Jan07 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:36 pm
Hi, Life in the UK test, did you upload a certificate or just enter the ref number?

I provided the reference number in the application and then uploaded a scanned copy of the test certificate in the docs section as well.

shoaibrehman
United Kingdom

Post by shoaibrehman » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:41 pm

CULLINAN wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:31 pm
All good.

Perfect. Thanks.

Jan07
United Kingdom

Post by Jan07 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:45 pm

Thank you for the prompt reply, is there any certificate for LIUK?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:53 pm

Jan07 wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:45 pm
Thank you for the prompt reply, is there any certificate for LIUK?
Recently there is no certificate, only a reference number. Previously, there used to be a certificate but not anymore.

Jan07
United Kingdom

Post by Jan07 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:18 pm

Thanks appreciated, I have got few questions if you don’t mind to answer;

1- I have kids born abroad holding ILR, do I need to fill out a separate application for each or I can add them all in my own application?

2- my little one got British passport via naturalisation route, do I also need to mention him in the naturalisation application?

Employment history, I have worked and got payslips and P-60, I have lost job because of this pandemic but recently started online business as a self employed, my question is how are;
A- Do I need to upload Payslips or P-60?
B- How to show self employment? I have registered with HMRC through account.

3- I have got few PCNs but paid on time, do I need to declare it?

4- My son is over 17 but not turn 18, does he need a separate application or parent can apply on his behalf?

5- what’s the process these days, is there any changes due COVID-19,
A- Is UKVCAS process the same? I reckon I need to upload the app, any suggestions please.

Lastly general question, once the application is submitted successfully, what will normally happens i.e receive naturalisation certificate or any letter?

Thanks and take care,

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:24 pm

Jan07 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:18 pm
Thanks appreciated, I have got few questions if you don’t mind to answer;

1- I have kids born abroad holding ILR, do I need to fill out a separate application for each or I can add them all in my own application?

2- my little one got British passport via naturalisation route, do I also need to mention him in the naturalisation application?

Employment history, I have worked and got payslips and P-60, I have lost job because of this pandemic but recently started online business as a self employed, my question is how are;
A- Do I need to upload Payslips or P-60?
B- How to show self employment? I have registered with HMRC through account.

3- I have got few PCNs but paid on time, do I need to declare it?

4- My son is over 17 but not turn 18, does he need a separate application or parent can apply on his behalf?

5- what’s the process these days, is there any changes due COVID-19,
A- Is UKVCAS process the same? I reckon I need to upload the app, any suggestions please.

Lastly general question, once the application is submitted successfully, what will normally happens i.e receive naturalisation certificate or any letter?

Thanks and take care,
Can you kindly and please start your own topic instead continuing to ask your extensive questions in another users topic. It is unfair to other posters and simply creates confusion when members respond!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Jan07
United Kingdom

Post by Jan07 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:36 pm

Frankly I didn’t knew that, I thought it might be helpful for all