ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Freedom of Movement of EEA nationals

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

HBBB
Iran

Freedom of Movement of EEA nationals

Post by HBBB » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:10 pm

Hi All
Is the freedom of movement of EU nationals and their family members in EEA still in place? Or has it been replaced with something similar?

kamoe
European Union

Re: Freedom of Movement of EEA nationals

Post by kamoe » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:25 pm

HBBB wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:10 pm
Is the freedom of movement of EU nationals and their family members in EEA still in place?
Still in place until the end of the transition period, Dec 31st 2020.
Or has it been replaced with something similar?
The EU Settlement Scheme is the answer from the UK legislation to provide a path for EU nationals who wish to come to the UK. But:

1. This does not really replace freedom of movement, since it is a one-way path, from the EU to the UK, not the other way around.
2. It is available for people who move into the UK Before the end of the transition period, Dec 31st, not after.

What other provisions there will be, specially from the other side of the equation (EU countries providing paths for UK nationals to move into their territories) hangs in wether there is a deal or not at the end of the transition period, and what that deal provides. So still unknown.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

HBBB
Iran

Post by HBBB » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:39 am

Thanks for clear and comprehensive response

geezerpl
Mood:
Poland

Post by geezerpl » Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:46 am

kamoe wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:25 pm

The EU Settlement Scheme is the answer from the UK legislation to provide a path for EU nationals who wish to come to the UK. But:

What other provisions there will be ... hangs in wether there is a deal or not at the end of the transition period, and what that deal provides. So still unknown.
Apparently there is a document called "The Grace Period Regulations for EEA/EU Nationals" replacing Free Movement or EEA Immigration Regulations 2016, but I have not managed to locate or download it.
Awaiting free access to read it here: https://www.lexisnexis.co.uk/legal/guid ... -residence

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:30 am

geezerpl wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:46 am
Apparently there is a document called "The Grace Period Regulations for EEA/EU Nationals" replacing Free Movement or EEA Immigration Regulations 2016, but I have not managed to locate or download it.
A quick Google search gets you the article below.
Right to work checks for EEA and Swiss nationals during the EU- Exit grace period (1 January – 30 June 2021) wrote:The Citizen’s Rights (Application Deadline and Temporary Protection) (EU Exit) Regulations 2020, commonly referred to as the Grace Period Statutory Instrument, is secondary legislation introduced to implement the UK’s obligations in respect of citizens’ rights under the Withdrawal Agreement, and corresponding agreements, with EEA EFTA states and Switzerland (“the Agreements”).
And here is the corresponding Statutory Instrument.

Enjoy the read.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:37 am

secret.simon wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:30 am
Draft Legislation:This is a draft item of legislation. This draft has since been made as a UK Statutory Instrument: The Citizens’ Rights (Application Deadline and Temporary Protection) (EU Exit) Regulations 2020 No. 1209
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:38 am

Oops, my bad. That's what you get for researching at weird hours of the morning.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

geezerpl
Mood:
Poland

Post by geezerpl » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:00 am

secret.simon wrote:

Enjoy the read.
Not much useful content in this ... from the family permit applicant's perspective...

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:04 am

geezerpl wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:00 am
secret.simon wrote:

Enjoy the read.
Not much useful content in this ... from the family permit applicant's perspective...
What are you looking for?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:06 am

Zerubbabel wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:04 am
geezerpl wrote:
secret.simon wrote:

Enjoy the read.
This user is a troll, tagging onto all topics instead of keeping their questions to their own thread.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

geezerpl
Mood:
Poland

Post by geezerpl » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:28 am

Yeah me troll and you sound like a dearly beloved.

The whole idea of forums - even 25 yrs ago - was to limit the number of threads so other users could find max. information per particular topic.
Ask any moderator whether it is better to start 20 new threads rather than seek answers & ask/reply in the existing ones.

geezerpl
Mood:
Poland

Post by geezerpl » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:59 am

Zerubbabel wrote:

1. Confirmation that unmarried partners (without some UK issued document, dated before 31/12/2020) can apply for the EUSS FP - same way as close family members (mixed info on this on official websites)

2. Clear info on the 30/06/2021 EUSS deadline... apparently there is no deadline to apply for the EUSS FP till 30/06. Those who apply later this year can still enter the UK and apply for the EU pre-settled within 3 months of the arrival (no info on this on official website; found just one site stating this...)

Further, a joining family member who enters the UK with a Family Permit will have three months after their arrival, if their arrival is after 01 April 2021, to make an application.

third party solicitor weblink removed by moderator

3. Confirmation that those, who apply for the EEA FP in 2021 will be able to apply for the EU pre-settled before 30/06 once in the UK... Some sources say only 2020 applicants are eligible (if that is the case the 2021 applicants can only visit the UK for a few months as tourists)

4. Information what happened to the initial right of residence and qualified person after 31/12/2020. Has it been replaced by the EU pre-settled (for those who were granted such status) or saved till 30/06 for those who still haven't applied under the EUSS; is it still necessary to prove qualified person status in 2021 ?

5. Information what happened to the EEA FP to accompany. Apparently it was possible to apply for it till 15/01/2021. Confirmation of this was removed later from the official website (no clear explanation why)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:04 pm

Zerubbabel wrote:
geezerpl wrote:
secret.simon wrote:

Enjoy the read.
@Zerubbabel please see this users topic link below and respond there if you wish to. The user keeps tagging onto any topic they find.

eea-route-applications/euss-route-now-a ... l#p1990583
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.