ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Employer Canecl Work permit and no of days Legal stay in UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

TS
Newly Registered

Employer Canecl Work permit and no of days Legal stay in UK

Post by TS » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:56 pm

Hi,

I have eimployer sponsored work permit for 5 years but I am going to submit resignation letter. What will be the impact like how long am I legal to stay in UK?

If during the stay could i entitil to switch to Tier 1 or have another offer?

Regards

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:09 pm

Upon your resignation your employer could write to UKBA and apply for cancellation of your work permit, in which case you will have maximum of 28 days to
a) either search for a new job and get your new employer to apply for a new work permit, get an approval for the same and then apply for a fresh leave to remain, or
b) you yourself apply for Tier 1, or
c) leave UK

TS
Newly Registered

Information about 28 days after employer cancel my work perm

Post by TS » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:43 pm

Thanks, Dk

Where can I find the source documents or contact number to confirm that I can stay 28 days after the resignation from the current employer and can apply for Tier 1?

Thet.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:48 pm

In reality you have a lot more than 28 days after resigning.

Until/unless UKBA actually cancel your leave to remain you are committing no offence by remaining in the UK until it expires, as long as you don't take any other work without permission. If you are found to be working for an employer other than the one who got the work permit, you are committing an offence and are liable to be removed from the UK.

If your present employer does notify UKBA, it could be a few weeks before they get round to looking at the file. If they decide to cancel your leave, that's when the 28 days kicks in. It would be in your interests to notify them if you have changed address, because if they write to your old address and you subsequently challenge any action taken against you on the grounds that you hadn't been notified, it's not really credible.