ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Council Tax Fine - ILR application

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

letsgoogle
Newly Registered
India

Council Tax Fine - ILR application

Post by letsgoogle » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:03 pm

I will be applyying for an ILR soon (Tier 2 General 5 Yr Route).
When we (My wife and I) first arrived in UK, for the first home, we did not know about council tax. So, we never registered with the council. We moved to another flat in 6 months time... We were registered with the council by the letting agent in the new place and we kept up on that...
About 1.5 years later, we received Council Tax + Authority Summons Cost + Court Summons Cost for the first apartment.
We settled it soon after... and confirmed from the council website that the pending amount is ZERO.

Now, my questions are :-
1. Should we include this in the Set (o) form ?
2. Is this a cause of worry ?

hkstudent
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Re: Council Tax Fine - ILR application

Post by hkstudent » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:24 pm

Council tax is a civil debt, not a criminal offence, though you could be sentenced to imprisonment for non-payment of council tax (unlike other civil matter)
As you have settled out of court, there is no judgement/conviction occurred. Don't worry about that.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:57 pm

Non-payment of council tax is a civil matter and not a criminal issue. You do not need to mention anything. Stop being paranoid and try to understand what affects ILR and what it does not. ONLY recordable criminal offences affect ILR (and these are quite serious offences that can lead to imprisonment) This has been discussed on many topics on the forum.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

letsgoogle
Newly Registered
India

Post by letsgoogle » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:09 pm

Cheers. Thank you @hkstudent and @zimba

letsgoogle
Newly Registered
India

COuncil Tax - SIngle person discount

Post by letsgoogle » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:56 am

Hello

I have a new query. A bit complicated, i think... at the same property as above, I was claiming single person discount for 1.5 months as I was living alone for the period. I think single person discount is Public Funds which should not have been claimed. How should I go about it ?
there is a section in the form which asks about whether we have access public funds.

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Re: COuncil Tax - SIngle person discount

Post by JB007 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:06 pm

letsgoogle wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:56 am
Hello

I have a new query. A bit complicated, i think... at the same property as above, I was claiming single person discount for 1.5 months as I was living alone for the period. I think single person discount is Public Funds which should not have been claimed. How should I go about it ?
there is a section in the form which asks about whether we have access public funds.

The 25% discount is not a public fund, but where was your wife? Was she paying council tax at another property?

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: COuncil Tax - SIngle person discount

Post by zimba » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:29 pm

letsgoogle wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:56 am
Hello

It is NOT public funds. Stop making assumptions.
The relevant guide makes this clear: uk-tier-1-entrepreneur-visas/public-fun ... l#p1498404
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

letsgoogle
Newly Registered
India

Post by letsgoogle » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:34 pm

Thank you guys.
My wife was back in the home country during that time.

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by JB007 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:59 pm

letsgoogle wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:34 pm
Thank you guys.
If she had a visa for the UK and was just back home for a visit, then you cannot have the 25% single person discount.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:39 pm

JB007 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:59 pm
letsgoogle wrote:
Thank you guys.
If she had a visa for the UK and was just back home for a visit, then you cannot have the 25% single person discount.
This is NOT relevant to the immigration issue at all. You MUST refrain from creating confusion by going on a tangent. STICK TO THE TOPIC ONLY. All other irrelevant posts will be removed to prevent confusion and conflict :!:

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by JB007 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:11 am

Zimba wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:39 pm
JB007 wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:59 pm
letsgoogle wrote:
Thank you guys.
This is NOT relevant to the immigration issue at all. You MUST refrain from creating confusion by going on a tangent. STICK TO THE TOPIC ONLY. All other irrelevant posts will be removed to prevent confusion and conflict :!:
The OP is asking about 25% discount and I have answerd. CT can affect immigration. Perhaps this should be moved to the benefits board on this site?

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:32 pm

JB007 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:11 am
The OP is asking about 25% discount and I have answerd. CT can affect immigration. Perhaps this should be moved to the benefits board on this site?
CT discount has no effect as I posted the guide. CT discount is NOT a form of benefit. CT payment (or non-payment) is a civil issue and has NO EFFECT on ILR. You must either support your positions with evidence as per rules or you must stop giving advice :!:

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by JB007 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:18 am

Zimba wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:32 pm
JB007 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:11 am
CT discount has no effect as I posted the guide. CT discount is NOT a form of benefit. CT payment (or non-payment) is a civil issue and has NO EFFECT on ILR. You must either support your positions with evidence as per rules or you must stop giving advice :!:
https://googlethatforyou.com?q=council% ... 20sentence

I have already said that the single person discout is not a public fund, but does a custodial sentence for fraud affect an ILR application? Even if supended?

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by JB007 » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:47 am

Where has the other posts gone: one from the person who said something along the lines that you can claim single person discount if your spouse goes for a long holiday abroad? And my reply to them to them?

What reason would a mod have to remove posts that could help people? And what is the point of me giving up my time to help people if a mod just deletes the posts they don't understand?

I aslo said how aggresseive the council are and how they use all the powers they are given to take people to court for non-payment or for fraud, and why council tax is always a priorty debt.

This took me a couple of seconds to find on a search engine.
Be advised that a temporary absence such as an extended holiday would not qualify for a single person discount.
If you are aware of anyone who is claiming single person discount incorrectly, use the form below or call our free, confidential hotline on 0800 389 8313 to report it.
https://www.hillingdon.gov.uk/article/2 ... n-discount

The OP hasn't come back and answered my questions on if this what he did, so we don't know if this might be relevant to his case.

I would be interested to know if having received a custodial sentence, affects an ILR appliction.