ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BRP - incorrect place of birth

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MaxLondon
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

BRP - incorrect place of birth

Post by MaxLondon » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:25 pm

After 7 months my wife has finally received the EU pre-settled status. She is Japanese and I have dual British-European nationality so she had to go for the paper application route known as Lounes case.
Today she received the BPR and there is a mistake on the place of birth - her Japanese passport shows MIYAGI as "domiciled address" which they mistook for place of birth and reported on the back of the BRP card.
Japanese passports do not show the place of birth at all (she was not born in Japan).

We've reported the error today to the gov.uk site asking to correct the place of birth/

Questions for you all:
  • do you how long it will take to get a new BRP card?
  • do you know if this card can be used in the meantime? She tried in vain to open a business bank account but without BRP card banks refused
  • do you know if the BRP card number will stay the same?
  • on hindsight, should we have left the BRP card as it is given that the place of birth is not reported in the passport and the "domiciled residence" in the passport actually match the BRP, or was it the right thing to report the error?
If anyone could share similar experiences that would be great!

Thanks!

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: BRP - incorrect place of birth

Post by Zerubbabel » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:07 pm

Use the card for the bank account then report the error and you will get it changed.

My wife used a card with an error for a while (years) and nobody picked up on that. As long as photo, name, date of birth are correct, nobody will care about the rest. She even travelled internationally with it.

Just get it fixed but nothing to worry about really.

k1234
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by k1234 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:43 pm

Hi,

I had similar experience.

In my case, it took about two months to get it sorted, but it depends on how busy they are (the case was dealt by "BRP Error Team").

The BRP card number on a new card will be different from the current one.

MaxLondon
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by MaxLondon » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:05 pm

Thanks for the replies!

It has been 10 days now and no one has replied from the BRP Error team yet although they are required to reply within 5 working days.
K1234, was your case dealt with during covid? I suspect this may take ages again to be fixed.

Thanks

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:37 pm

MaxLondon wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:05 pm
Thanks for the replies!

It has been 10 days now and no one has replied from the BRP Error team yet although they are required to reply within 5 working days.
K1234, was your case dealt with during covid? I suspect this may take ages again to be fixed.

Thanks
They say 5 days but they get to you by email 2 to 4 weeks later.