ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Pre-settled status for a retired person and NHS access

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

erfervercves
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Pre-settled status for a retired person and NHS access

Post by erfervercves » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:23 pm

I started looking at it in the last minute because of a change in family circumstances, so sorry if my questions are basic.
I have settled status and will hopefully soon have a citizenship. If one of my retired (EU) parents wanted to join me in the UK, is it right that they can move before the end of the year and start living with me, but wouldn't be able to do it afterwards, unless we go through a complex procedure of applying through a dependent parent route? Assuming they do move by the end of the year, is getting a pre-settled status even possible if they are not working? They are retired in their home country, but have not yet reached the retirement age in the UK.

If they did move before the end of the year and their application wasn't processed in time, would they loose NHS access in January 2020? I'm finding confusing information whether the pre-settled status is needed from January of July 2021.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Pre-settled status for a retired person and NHS access

Post by Zerubbabel » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:21 pm

EU Citizens have until Dec 31st, 2020 to enter to the UK with the intention to settle.

Then, they will have until June 2021 to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme. If someone applies during 2021 under the EU Settlement Scheme, I anticipate that the Home Office would like to see the proof that the person was in the UK before end 2020 and started making arrangements to live in the UK.

Technically, until June 2021, the EU Settlement Scheme is not an absolute necessity but, to be honest, the situation wouldn't survivable without it.

To access the NHS initially, in 2020 an EHIC card is required. After that, an insurance would be needed as the NHS is not free. The bill goes always somewhere.

https://www.gov.uk/european-health-insurance-card

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:46 pm

This is the NHS advice on the subject:
https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-se ... itzerland/
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

erfervercves
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by erfervercves » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:17 pm

Thanks for the responses.
The EHIC is not really a solution, because it only covers emergency healthcare and I can't imagine them flying for every GP visit.
Do you mean that a retired person would be classed as a self-sufficient and would need to have a CSI in order to use the NHS, even if they are resident in the UK?

In terms of practicalities, the NHS guidance mentions being 'lawfully' in the UK. Until now, the only evidence required was an EU passport and a UK address. Will this change to a requirement for a (pre)settled status proof after January?

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Zerubbabel » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:56 pm

Someone who just came to the UK, needs to register with a GP. At that point, an NHS number is created. Then to use the NHS, the patient provides just a birthday and name then is found in the database. From that point, no question is asked about entitlement.