ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR at end of 5 year work visa?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Mrbo2
Newly Registered
United States of America

ILR at end of 5 year work visa?

Post by Mrbo2 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:49 pm

I am in the UK on a 5 year Tier II work visa.

I was wondering if I could apply for ILR at the end of it, or if I need to extend my visa for an additional, sixth year.

I ask because I won't have 5 years in the country until basically the visa is expired, but I also have heard that you can apply a bit earlier.

Thanks!

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: ILR at end of 5 year work visa?

Post by zimba » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:13 pm

The 5 years start from the date of first visa approval. You can apply within 28 days of completing the 5 years
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Mrbo2
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Mrbo2 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:48 pm

And what happens if the visa expires while you are waiting for an answer on your ILR application? Obviously one cannot leave the country during that time period, but would there any problem with work eligibility during that window?

ajitu92
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by ajitu92 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:53 pm

Mrbo2 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:48 pm
And what happens if the visa expires while you are waiting for an answer on your ILR application? Obviously one cannot leave the country during that time period, but would there any problem with work eligibility during that window?
No there wouldn't. Your leave will be extended by virtue of section 3C of the immigration rules as long as you have made an in-time application. Your current leave's conditions continue under section 3C until a decision is reached on your ILR application.
All my posts are my personal opinion based on my reading of the immigration rules and guidance. NOT to be taken as professional/legal advice.

Mrbo2
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by Mrbo2 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:07 pm

Cool, that makes sense. Thanks a lot.

ajitu92
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by ajitu92 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:08 pm

Mrbo2 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:07 pm
Cool, that makes sense. Thanks a lot.
You're welcome :D
All my posts are my personal opinion based on my reading of the immigration rules and guidance. NOT to be taken as professional/legal advice.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:23 am

ajitu92 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:53 pm
Mrbo2 wrote:
No there wouldn't. Your leave will be extended by virtue of section 3C of the immigration rules as long as you have made an in-time application. Your current leave's conditions continue under section 3C until a decision is reached on your ILR application.
Section 3C of the Immigration Act 1971 to be correct (not the rules) :wink:
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

ajitu92
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by ajitu92 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:41 am

Zimba wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:23 am
ajitu92 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:53 pm
Mrbo2 wrote:
Section 3C of the Immigration Act 1971 to be correct (not the rules) :wink:
Good and well noted point! I shall rewire my brain for next time :D