ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

My daughter has overstayed in the US, will she have problems

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Doc Major
Newly Registered

My daughter has overstayed in the US, will she have problems

Post by Doc Major » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:51 pm

My daughter has overstayed in the US, she is married to an American citizen, they have a 2 year old son.

She was applying for permanent residence, she now wants to come back home to the U.K.

Will she have problems when she goes through U.S customs?

If so what does she need to do beforehand, as she does not want to be arrested with my grandson when leaving.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Re: My daughter has overstayed in the US, will she have prob

Post by Marco 72 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:58 pm

Doc Major wrote:My daughter has overstayed in the US, she is married to an American citizen, they have a 2 year old son.

She was applying for permanent residence, she now wants to come back home to the U.K.

If so what does she need to do beforehand, as she does not want to be arrested with my grandson when leaving.
She will have no problems whatsoever leaving the US, but she may not be able to take her son with her without the father's consent.

Doc Major
Newly Registered

Post by Doc Major » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:51 pm

Marco 72 wrote:
Doc Major wrote:My daughter has overstayed in the US, she is married to an American citizen, they have a 2 year old son.

She will have no problems whatsoever leaving the US, but she may not be able to take her son with her without the father's consent.
Thanks for your reply Marco,

Will she still need to have her husbands consent if she has a British passport for her son?

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:33 am

Doc Major wrote:Will she still need to have her husbands consent if she has a British passport for her son?
I'm not a lawyer, but I think she will. See here

http://thailand4kids.com/web-data/Components/hague.pdf

As far as I know parental consent is not required to obtain a British passport for a child (it is needed for US passports), but she may still not be allowed to take the child out of the country. It's probably best for her to check with the airline - they should know.

Doc Major
Newly Registered

Post by Doc Major » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:39 am

Marco 72 wrote:
Doc Major wrote:Will she still need to have her husbands consent if she has a British passport for her son?
I'm not a lawyer, but I think she will. See here

http://thailand4kids.com/web-data/Components/hague.pdf

As far as I know parental consent is not required to obtain a British passport for a child (it is needed for US passports), but she may still not be allowed to take the child out of the country. It's probably best for her to check with the airline - they should know.
Thanks for the link, it has given me more of an understanding of how it works, very useful information. I will advise my daughter to check with the airline.