ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SET (LR) application with previous passport lost

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

agentfourty7
Newly Registered

ILR set (LR): Re-apply within 28 days of previous leave, clarification.

Post by agentfourty7 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:04 pm

Hi team,

I have spent ten years in the UK, all of it on Tier 4, doing BSc to PhD in those years.

I am applying for SET(LR) independently due to lack of funds immigration firms are quoting, I needed some help here interpreting the following paragraph from the guidance doc and if it affects my case.

Entered UK first time: 21/September/2010 (for reference)

Quoted below is the guidance from UKVI's "Indefinite leave to remain: calculating continuous period in UK" document (Page 19).

“Pre 24 November 2016

The continuous period is maintained if the applicant either:
leaves the UK with or without valid leave, but applies for new entry clearance within 28 days of their leave expiry date, is granted and re-enters the UK using that entry clearance
leaves the UK with valid leave and re-enters the UK whilst that leave remains valid
If the applicant’s leave expires whilst they are outside the UK and they apply for new entry clearance more than 28 days after their previous leave expires, the continuous period is broken and leave is not aggregated.”

I wanted to understand, if this means I am not eligible for the set ILR (LR)? – please see my dates below:
  • 29th January 2015 Departed UK
    30th January 2015 Tier 4 leave ended ( I was in India by this time)
    04th June 2015 Applied for a Tier 4 visa to study PhD this time
    19th June 2015 Granted Tier 4 leave to enter the UK
    22nd June 2015 Re-entered the UK on Tier 4 visa
 So the gap between 30th January 2015 and 04th June 2015 is greater than 28 days, but my time spent in India is 145 days, how does it this impact my ILR eligibility?

Since I applied for a new entry clearance more than 28 days later here, does that invalidate the time spent thereafter and mean that I am not eligible for the ILR yet?

Please advise.

Thank you

ajitu92
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: ILR set (LR): Re-apply within 28 days of previous leave, clarification.

Post by ajitu92 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:15 pm

You're looking at the wrong guidance. This is the link to the correct one for Set (LR): https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 6.0ext.pdf

You're fine, the application within 28 days of leaving doesn't apply if you left the country with a valid leave. Refer to page 11 in the above link. Also refer to page 15 for specific examples.
All my posts are my personal opinion based on my reading of the immigration rules and guidance. NOT to be taken as professional/legal advice.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:05 pm

If you left before visa expiry and returned within 6 months, your continuous residence remains intact under long residence
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

agentfourty7
Newly Registered

Post by agentfourty7 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:09 pm

ajitu92 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:15 pm
You're looking at the wrong guidance. This is the link to the correct one for Set (LR): https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... 6.0ext.pdf

You're fine, the application within 28 days of leaving doesn't apply if you left the country with a valid leave. Refer to page 11 in the above link. Also refer to page 15 for specific examples.
and
Zimba wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:05 pm
If you left before visa expiry and returned within 6 months, your continuous residence remains intact under long residence
Thank you for that advice guys, I am just a bit stressed so a little all over the place. Much appreciated! :)

agentfourty7
Newly Registered

SET (LR) application with previous passport lost

Post by agentfourty7 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:19 pm

Hi team,

I am currently in the process of applying for SET (LR). I entered the UK on 21st September 2010 and have renewed and remained on Tier 4 student since then. Doing my BSc to PhD.

The passport I entered the UK and had first two Tier 4 leaves granted with, was lost in 2016. I got a replacement from Birmingham based consulate. I have had two more Tier 4 leaves granted using the new passport. However, the lost passport had travel stamps and my history overall.

I understand the home office wants "ALL" previous passports. I have some pages of my lost passport in pictures with immigration stamps for most my trips outside UK to explain the travel history part. But except for what kind of documents would I need to put in to support a lost passport.

I am thinking of these so far:

1) Email correspondence to the airport lost and found reporting the lost passport and logging a query.
2) Police did not let me file a crime reference, so have not got anything on that front.
3) Air tickets of all travels during the time period up to 2016 (where I lost the passport)
4) A covering letter explaining why I haven't submitted my old/lost passport, although sounds obvious
5) BRP was lost with passport too, so correspondence with HO about replacing that in email threads
6) I have put in a request for a detailed SAR - may not get that in time for my ILR application but thinking of retrospective submission.

I cannot think of any other way to patch it up for the missing PP, please advise on what normally happens in such cases and how to best represent myself.

Had I any funds to fund a lawyer, I would have in no time, but PhD is tough guys :(

Thanks

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: SET (LR) application with previous passport lost

Post by zimba » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:22 pm

It is a minor issue. A cover letter will be enough
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice