ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Which English test to write

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ayonio2
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Which English test to write

Post by Ayonio2 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:44 pm

Hello

I was granted 30 months limited leave to remain on the ten year partner route as there are exceptional circumstances in my case which would render refusal a breach of Article 8.

This happened because as at the time I originally applied for ILR under 5year rule the home office was accepting university certificate from my home country. But we had to vary that application before we received a decision to spouse visa. At this time I needed to have an English test done. All effort to retrieve my passport from the home office to enable me sit for the test failed they only sent a copy of the passport which the test center did not accept.

Now my visa is due for renewal I am not sure if I need to write the A1 since I did not write it before or to write the A2 test for renewal.

Thanks for your help.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Which English test to write

Post by seagul » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:29 pm

Ayonio2 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:44 pm

This happened because as at the time I originally applied for ILR under 5year rule the home office was accepting university certificate from my home country.
Which year was that?
Weren't you aware about Naric?
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Ayonio2
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Ayonio2 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:24 pm

The original ILR was applied for in Feb 2016. I didn't have the need for Naric then since my certificate was ok to be used so both certificate and passport were with home office at the time we varied the application. I am ok to write the English test and I think it will be cheaper to do than to go through Naric. I am not just sure which I should write. Is it safe to go for the A2? Just don't want home office saying I needed A1.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:42 pm

Ayonio2 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:24 pm
I am ok to write the English test and I think it will be cheaper to do than to go through Naric.
it will cost you almost same.
Ayonio2 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:24 pm
I am not just sure which I should write. Is it safe to go for the A2? Just don't want home office saying I needed A1.
If you want to switch into 5 years of route then at least A1 will be needed but many prefer B1 which usually is usable in future too.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Ayonio2
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Ayonio2 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:02 pm

Thank you for your reply. My renewal is due January 2021. I will be 10years in November 2021 so I plan on applying for ILR on 10 year route then. For that I don't think I need a proof of English. So do you still suggest I go to write the B1 and it will not have any consequences.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:06 pm

Ayonio2 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:02 pm
Thank you for your reply. My renewal is due January 2021. I will be 10years in November 2021 so I plan on applying for ILR on 10 year route then. For that I don't think I need a proof of English. So do you still suggest I go to write the B1 and it will not have any consequences.
ILR has a mandatory requirement of English B1 test OR you need UK NARIC English and comparable assessment for a foreign degree AND you need the life in the UK test. Unclear why you believe you don't need to meet the English requirement for ILR. There is only one category that does not need it and that is SET(P) Refugee ILR or those who are under 18 or over 65 years of age. For everyone else, it is mandatory.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:14 pm

Ayonio2 wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:02 pm
. So do you still suggest I go to write the B1
Yes or get your degree assessed under naric red route
https://www.naric.org.uk/naric/

Ayonio2
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Ayonio2 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:58 pm

Thank you all for the explanation. I will book to write the B1 test.

Ayonio3
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Ayonio3 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:18 pm

Hello I am sorry I had to create a new account as the platform did not allow me to reset my password. I know you do not encourage multiple accounts. I'm really sorry.

As explained previously, In 2018, I was granted 30 months limited leave to remain on the ten year partner route as there are exceptional circumstances in my case which would render refusal a breach of Article 8.

This happened because as at the time I originally applied for ILR under 5year rule in 2016 the home office was accepting university certificate from my home country. But we had to vary that application before we received a decision to spouse visa. At this time I needed to have an English test done. All effort to retrieve my passport from the home office to enable me sit for the test failed they only sent a copy of the passport which the test center did not accept.

I have been in the UK for 9 years, my current visa is expiring in January 2021. The visa decision letter states I must apply before the end of my authorised stay in the UK but not more than 28days before completing that period. If I apply earlier than that my application may be refused.

My question is due to all I have been reading about how difficult it is to get appointment for biometrics and the Christmas period coming I am thinking to apply next week. Will the home office say I am applying too early and refuse the application?

Thank you.

Korekt
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by Korekt » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:46 pm

Which application are you looking to make?
"Facts are sacred. Opinions are free."

Ayonio3
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Ayonio3 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:29 am

Korekt wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:46 pm
Which application are you looking to make?
I am applying for an extension on partners visa. With the hope to apply for ILR Long Residence next year by God's grace.

Thank you.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:21 am

Ayonio3 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:18 pm
I have been in the UK for 9 years, my current visa is expiring in January 2021. The visa decision letter states I must apply before the end of my authorised stay in the UK but not more than 28days before completing that period. If I apply earlier than that my application may be refused.
That seems a boilerplate text probably in the context of ILR because extension can be applied at anytime.
When you can apply to extend or switch
You can extend or switch at any time before your current permission to stay in the UK expires.
https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa
Ayonio3 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:18 pm
My question is due to all I have been reading about how difficult it is to get appointment for biometrics and the Christmas period coming I am thinking to apply next week. Will the home office say I am applying too early and refuse the application?
Thank you.
I wish you had applied it few days ago, where you could have saved at least £560 in relation of IHS fee which has been increased from 27th October. Anyway whenever you wish can proceed to the application until the last day of expiry, and regarding biometrics appointment you might have to struggle hard but might be able to secure one at relatively easily if willing to pay extra/travel little far.